VR Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alright man, it may be a push on my budget but honestly if it's as good as you and @Hayden are saying it is I'll probably just splash out and buy it cus I just looked at some videos and it does look amazing

Reaction score
I have the Rift S, inside out tracking from the headset is handy. I've only ever encountered problems with it a handful of times. Most times when I put my headset away it forgets my guardian settings or just can't recognize the room, so I've got to re-draw my boundaries and set the height again. It's not that big of a hassle to be honest. Another benefit is that you have black&white cameras for easy peaks into your room to see where you are.

It only has like 180 degrees of tracking but it lets you play every game out there just fine. Just try not to reach for anything too close to your back as you'll start to lose tracking. It does do a pretty good job of estimating where you're trying to reach whenever it can't track you though. Messing around with bows in Blade & Sorcery requires you to reach behind your head for additional arrows, but tracking works perfectly fine. You start to lose tracking whenever you put your controllers close behind another where one is out of your own view, holding them together as if you're holding a pistol works perfectly.

The built-in speakers are pretty good IMO. You can always use a headset with the rift though but I lack one with long enough cables or is wireless so I've not bothered. The headset also has a microphone, obviously, which is decent quality. I think this goes for most headsets actually, I've only ever had the Rift S so I wouldn't know.

I recommend you take it easy when you start out in VR, if you start to feel motion sick or anything, take a break or stop for the day, then continue. I decided to power through it and keep playing like an absolute idiot, I couldn't actually enjoy the games I played because I was constantly sick, not to mention using smooth locomotion which threw me off completely. So stopping when you feel motion sick in any capacity and continuing the next day is highly recommended. I ended up feeling sick just thinking of VR before HL:A was released, after it did release though I got back into it and stopped once I felt sick, then continued the day after. It got far better and I stopped feeling sick just thinking of it just because I did it like I described.
I trust you understand, or already knew though.
P.S: Play HL:A, it's a brilliant experience.

Reaction score
@Exnem Looks amazing. So can I not get 360 degrees on an Oculus S? Because for the sort of games I'm looking into, like Boneworks and Pavlov; it looks like a pretty crucial thing. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Reaction score
Hi, Oculus Rift S user here just to extend on what @jjjackier said.

The headset is amazing for what it can do for the price (400 to 440 Euros). It has no IPD slider and only software adjustments, I have a IPD of like 72 or 74 but I'm just fine.

The controllers are great and work just like they would with base stations, not having any is a pretty good selling point for this HMD. It's literally plug and play after updating and setting up your guardian with excellent tracking except for areas behind your back where the sensors won't reach which is never used by VR games anyways. The controllers are firm with straps, just be careful with the battery cover though as if you grip too hard they can slide off with whatever you're doing but the magnets are pretty strong so you'd have to do some ninja shit while playing.

And yes, batteries, which is IMO another plus. You can swap the batteries with standard AA batteries, Alkaline or rechargable like NiMH Eneloop batteries (or IKEA batteries which are also Eneloops). You can swap em out without having to recharge the controller between sessions and having another full charge which last me for about 8-10 hours.

Resolution per eye is 1440P and 80HZ, I have a 75HZ display and the VR lens feels way more smoother than my monitor so I don't know what fuckery they did with this. A nice option if your PC can't handle 144Hz especially in VR which you need a pretty good PC for as it's essentially double rendering everything.

Negatives would be no fabric cover (I got one from VRCover.com) to make the VR more bearable during those sweaty sessions or having no IPD slider when the first Oculus literally had one, no clue what their reasoning was. They fix bugs pretty quick via community feedback with beta versions which is also pretty good.

Reaction score
Is there any way possible to get 360 degree tracking? Because for the games I've taken interest in it's saying 360 is either required or strongly recommended. For example; in pavlov is it a possibility to turn around and shoot someone behind you with Oculus S?

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card can run VR games?

Reaction score
Not recommended, 970 is minimum. You can also search "SteamVR Performance Test" on the steam store page.

Reaction score
Absolutely no chance. it's a very old card at this point. maybe the 1050TI as a bare minimum can do VR but you will suffer in more demanding games which are the most popular VR games, get the 970, maybe 980 its only like 300 euros at this point, if you dont wanna get sick from low refresh rate.

Deleted member 5577

Don’t listen to @Madda he plays beat sabre and war thunder at the same time idk how maybe one in each eye?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Highly doubt it, noticed occasional issues on a 1060 so doubt a 750ti would be a good experience at all

Reaction score
I'm torn between a 1060 and a 970, the 970 is only a bit cheaper than a 1060 and from what I've seen 1060 is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.