VR Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I’ve got a birthday coming up, as well as some money saved so I thought Id get a VR for half life alyx and pavlov. Has anyone got any recommendations on which one to get or whether I should even get one? I was looking at the oculus rift or the new valve ones but they expensive asf

Thanks

Reaction score
Valve Index is amazing but only get it if you have the cash to spare and a decent computer to take advantage of the higher refresh rates (up to 144hz) and increased resolution. If you're looking for a cheaper but still good experience I would go for the Oculus Rift S. Advantage of the Rift S is that it has inside-out tracking so you don't need extra sensors, etc like the Valve Index.

Reaction score
I've had VR for around 3 years now, and it is definitely worth it. It offers a lot of fun games where you just goof around, but also some other more proper games, like half life alyx.

Choosing which one to get is rather difficult, although it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, how much room you have and your preferences. I don't really have any to recommend, as I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to the new ones. I have heard the valve index is good though, I myself have a HTC Vive and I'm quite happy with that one.

But yes get VR, it's great fun. And for gods sake get 360° tracking, not 180°

Reaction score
  • Staff
Yeah I wouldn't really say Index is inside my budget and I probably don't have the PC for it. The Oculus Rift S most likely is so I'll definitely take a look into that, thanks.

Reaction score
  • Staff
Haha, yeah I'm definitely sold on getting a VR but I'm not looking for the most expensive, newest technology. Just something reliable I can have fun with. I image VR is a lot more fun with mates though, so I might wait for some of mine to get VR or find someone to play with before I splash out. Which specific headset you got and how much did it cost?

Also I will get 360 tracking, don't worry!

Reaction score
  • Staff
Index is probably out of my budget but I guess I can dream lmao
Is it good for all games or just really for half life alyx?

Deleted member 6228

The controllers are compatible with basically everything now so its really nice

Reaction score
VR is defo a lot more fun with friends, like most games really. I pre-ordered the first VR headset Vive released, simply just called HTC Vive I believe, cost me around 900$. That was years ago though.

Back then I'd defensively recommend the Vive above Oculus, but with all the new headsets from both Oculus and Vive I've got no idea.

Reaction score
Vive Controllers are pretty bad ngl, cause the pads on them die after a while. My ones just seem to refuse to click down properly, which can be bad in a game like Blade and Sorcery, or Pavlov where the pads are integral parts of the game.

Reaction score
@Madda Yeah the new Vive headsets are upwards of £800 same goes with Oculus. Like I said, I'm not after the absolute newest tech; just something I can have alot of fun with that isn't too expensive.

Reaction score
@flugs Well if you find a HTC Vive used I'm sure they are more reasonable in price, and it's a great headset, tracking works as long as you set it up correctly, controllers isn't the best but they're not awful and you don't really notice it in game.

Reaction score
If Index is too expensive, get the Rift S. Seriously, it's the best bang for your buck. There's cameras inside the headset so you don't need to set up any base stations or that. The tracking was very goofy until they released an update last year and the tracking now is seriously amazing. I used my cousins HTC Vive, and it felt like plastic shit compared to the Rift S. I sold mine because I had to buy some other important stuff, but I'm definitely going to try it again once my interest for VR comes back in the future. @Creepis still has it, so you can ask him anything as well.

Also, the vive controllers are so shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.