18/06/2020 - Community Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think the best way to stop toxicity is to stop giving a shit about petty arguments. This isn't something that the staff team can really do I don't think. It's something that requires the community as a whole to adopt a more laid-back attitude. I'm pretty much never on here anymore but other communities I'm a part of have similar issues. I think the best way to stop toxicity is probably to foster a less serious atmosphere. I get that it's RP, and it's meant to be serious or whatever, but speaking from experience here, the most fun I had was when I was minging about and having a laugh. I think when it's not excessively disruptive, people should be given a bit of leeway to have a laugh and fuck about a bit, so long as nobody is seriously affected by it. One example I have for this, is from a couple years back, so I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the old building handbook. People would fortify bases so damn much it became necessary to police bases and make sure nobody was making unfair defenses. I understood that, but when you're building a raised platform, putting a chair on it, calling it a fort and putting a "sign" up saying no mods allowed, you're having a laugh, you're not hurting anyone, and having someone whinging that your base wasn't up to code just felt like being fun policed.

I haven't been on in forever so idk if things aren't that way anymore, but back when I used to play a lot, fucking about was part of the charm, and if you deny that you're either a fat virgin or a fat liar.

Reaction score
I certainly dont agree with what you're saying about ignoring toxicity, however I do understand the difference between banter and disrespect, this is something I mentioned when passing this on to the staff team as it is perfectly fine to have a laugh and a joke with people on a game. It's noticing the difference that seems to be the hard part!

Reaction score
I don't recall explicitly saying to ignore the toxicity. I said to stop caring about petty arguments, because playing peacemaker when two idiots are arguing doesn't do much to help.

Reaction score
@Allen Kennedy The issue is that petty arguments in OOC or on the forums always lead to more toxic comments and simply escalate a situation, allowing this to happen and allowing newer players to see this happening sets a precedent that it's acceptable and this would also cause an issue as to where the line is drawn.

Reaction score
@Dom_ Yeah I see your point when it comes to that, but I think a delicate balance has to be struck, because if policing petty arguments becomes commonplace it reckon it has serious potential to become somewhat tyrannical and subsequently breed resentment towards staff members.

Status
Not open for further replies.