Back Late - Horror game

Ayjay

Reaction score

1065fc0b36.jpg

5dc7be18a1.jpg

Project Name:
'Back Late'

You play as John Doe a web developer who is working on a big project at work, he's been working late every night and can't wait to to get back to his wife.

It's 1:00am and his wife sends a text saying she's waiting up, he travels home in his car but everythings seems quite odd, all the lights in the house are off. He enters the house, and she is nowhere to be seen. All lights in the house are off and seem to not be working, he grabs a flashlight from the cupboard and searches around the house. In a panic, he attempts to call the police; but his phone seems to of stopped working. He attempts to go outside.. but the door has locked itself.

I'm still accepting ideas guys, please post them below.

I'll keep you all updated as I go aslong, things I add, etc.
If you suggest an idea, I'll tag you in the post of the update if I added
your suggestion to the game.

Check my latest post for updates (bottom)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Slender: Electric Bogaloo 2

With DLCs and paid mods.

:kappa:

Please update this post regularly for process and further development and such, very interested to see a finished game product from you, AyJay.

MattIs

Coco Hunters 3 (skipped 1 and 2 because its so good)
Chase the chocolate people through downtown Brooklyn
Collect chocolat and use it as a power up

Vanillas are the enemy. If you run into vanilla person you go to jail

Ayjay

Reaction score
Slender: Electric Bogaloo 2

With DLCs and paid mods.

:kappa:

Please update this post regularly for process and further development and such, very interested to see a finished game product from you, AyJay.

I was thinking that, I'll add screenshots of my progress and how it's going - I'll also release a few snippets of code for them interested. Right now I'm in the planning stage, but guys I need some ideas? Give me an idea for the setting, story, name etc.

Come on lads ;)

Deleted member 1235

Try and be original and expand out. Haunted house/alone in the woods is very repetitive. I'd recommend going along the lines of an Insane Asylum (Kinda like the Verruckt map in Cod5) as it has potential. Can perhaps have screams or echoes from the past as well as flashbacks?

Ayjay

Reaction score
Try and be original and expand out. Haunted house/alone in the woods is very repetitive. I'd recommend going along the lines of an Insane Asylum (Kinda like the Verruckt map in Cod5) as it has potential. Can perhaps have screams or echoes from the past as well as flashbacks?

I was thinking more above that, an insane Asylum would be kind of the same as 'Outlast' if you've played that.
I've however never seen a Horror game based within a school? Maybe an old abandoned school with voices of
old pupils who haunt the school follow you? You pick up notes throughout, get locked inside?

I don't really know, I'm still thinking about it.
More ideas?

Ayjay

Reaction score
Update 1 - 19/06/2015 (Change log)

• Added the first person controller and tweaked the sensitivity a little, the run speed is quite a noticeable difference to the walking speed and I've disabled jumping for now.
  • I added footstep sounds, all from Half-Life 2 - So basically the footsteps you hear in PERP. They're pretty nice, and I don't really see myself changing them.
  • Motion blur has been added to the camera, it shouldn't give any performance issues which is nice. It's not really noticeable as a blur, but you would notice if it wasn't there kind of thing.
  • I've started the level design of the actual main scene (house) - I've started from the bottom and I'm going to design each room as I go through. I'm currently doing the living room.
  • Before creation of the house I created a nice skybox, and due to the ambient intensity the moon will shine through the window. I'm going to work on curtains which blow in the wind next. They'll look pretty sweet.
Screenshots:

Motion Blur -
4db5588cf4ae19909894a2e126b72bcd.gif

You can't really see it in the photo, due to the fact that it's a gif - And the FPS is fair low. The motion blur is really a bonus, it add's quite a lot of effect and is nice in any
game really.

Rain & Wind -
c19f260537c81d58e30b3edae3035557.gif

Again, you can't really see much in the gif - However you may of spotted that the
rain does splash onto the surface of the map. The intro sequence will also allow
you to a drive, I've not actually decided on a car yet; so give your suggestions.
However the reflection on the car, and the rain bouncing off it will look pretty amazing.

The wind is nice aswell, you can see it running through the grass and tilting the tree
a bit. I've decided that as more horror happens the wind will speed up, as there will
be skylights etc upstairs. However, you do spend some of your time in a different place other than the house, not to spoil anything.

That's all for now, any suggestions? Post below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For the car, give him a nice 1970 muscle car like a challenger or a mustang or an ordinary 2014 car like an Impala or Toyota (cheap cars).
What if in the end of the game John gets a call from a man with a voice changer saying that he kidnapped John's wife, so John drives to the place which the caller named and there will be a horror sequence (place like a haunted abandoned factory, John will have to go through the whole building with jump scares, scary sounds and stuff. He will find a pistol somewhere in the factory, then he will find his wife and find out where the Kidnapper is. When John goes inside the kidnapper's place and gunpoints him, the Kidnapper turns around with a smile and John finds out that he is his friend/relative(optional), then the kidnapper says with a smile: "well, John, you found me", John lowers the gun. "Shoot me then", the kidnapper says and gets shot 3 times into the chest. The end.

Reaction score
An indie Horror game? In a dark house with a flashlight? With a monster that does nothing but jumpscare you? Where have I ever seen this before?

Reaction score
Put my face in there somewhere on the wall as an easter egg

with a speech bubble coming out my mouth SAYING:

"
c17b869e42.png
"

Trande

I was thinking more above that, an insane Asylum would be kind of the same as 'Outlast' if you've played that.
I've however never seen a Horror game based within a school? Maybe an old abandoned school with voices of
old pupils who haunt the school follow you? You pick up notes throughout, get locked inside?

I don't really know, I'm still thinking about it.
More ideas?

Picking up the school idea:

Ghost only visible through the tape, a bit like Slender. Personally I think a school would be much different than other games. Don't know of a game, which did it before. Story behind it could be quite simple: Your friends told you to enter the school at night. Of course there's some chav bitch (the ones @Liam likes) and you want to impress or something. You enter the school through a open window, and firstly get the objective to go into you classroom, or something. But the school seems to have changed! You get lost and find yourself into a part of it you never knew it even existed(Parallel universe shit). It should look all fucked up. Try and find a mythical figure or some creepypasta thing to give it some idea behind it! And maybe don't rely on jumpscares, they're too repetetive and not really giving you "the chills".

I want to play it, please :trande:

Ayjay

Reaction score
Picking up the school idea:

Ghost only visible through the tape, a bit like Slender. Personally I think a school would be much different than other games. Don't know of a game, which did it before. Story behind it could be quite simple: Your friends told you to enter the school at night. Of course there's some chav bitch (the ones @Liam likes) and you want to impress or something. You enter the school through a open window, and firstly get the objective to go into you classroom, or something. But the school seems to have changed! You get lost and find yourself into a part of it you never knew it even existed(Parallel universe shit). It should look all fucked up. Try and find a mythical figure or some creepypasta thing to give it some idea behind it! And maybe don't rely on jumpscares, they're too repetetive and not really giving you "the chills".

I want to play it, please :trande:

I swayed away from the idea of the school, and went for a house. If you look at the story at the original post you'll see.
However, I am still looking for ideas to expand, maybe more chracters?

Also, due to unity's networking I'll be able to make this a multiplayer (co-op) game, so around two people
will be able to complete the games story together.

Reaction score
I swayed away from the idea of the school, and went for a house. If you look at the story at the original post you'll see.
However, I am still looking for ideas to expand, maybe more chracters?

Also, due to unity's networking I'll be able to make this a multiplayer (co-op) game, so around two people
will be able to complete the games story together.
Will we be able to port forward a server or is it with logmein hamachi or some other VPN ?

Ayjay

Reaction score
  • Update 2 - 21/06/2015 (Change log)

Well, it's two days since my first update so I thought I'd let you guys know how I'm doing with this project. I've been working on level design mostly, however I'll let you see the house in the next update I make (a couple of days) - I've actually been working with modelling and some character creation, I've created a model who is going to be my main character. Now this guy was simply a test, so I'd like you guys to give me a few ideas to what I should change about him (facial / body features, and clothes).

Meet 'Jake'
ab16a55c30b77b1b26e9b9d2cd07a349.gif

For those interested in him:
e4b3023377.jpg

bf7c3b4a59.jpg

I'll show some gif's of him in the actual game later.

PS: I also forgot to say, a multiplayer version of the game will be live from release.
Meaning you guys can play with your friends.