Basic understanding of Powergaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well hello,

So alot of times I have seen powergaming and such, and most of you - Not all of you - does not understand the basic of Powergaming. So...

Powergaming: Forcing an action on another player

Example: ** Hugh procced to drag the man out of the car

That is NOT allowed as it's powergaming, you should wait for the other player to respone.

CORRECT example: ** Hugh attempts to drag the man out of the car

** John attempts to resist by grabbing the door handle to his side, locking the car after if successful.

Hugh rolls 69 out of 100.

John rolls 99 out of 100

** John successfully locks the door.

Please notice this is not required while under gunpoint, follows under rule 3.4.

Example of 3.4: Hugh is gunpointing John
Simply tell him to "Get out of the vehicle1!1!1"

Or in other ways: Hugh is pointing a gun at John.

** Hugh proceeds to drag John out of the car.

** John wouldn't show any kind of resistence as his life is on the near by the man gunpointing him.

Thanks for reading, i hope i helped

Reaction score
I don't get the point in it though, if I do:

**Jeffrey attempts to drag John out of car'

and he resists and beats me in roll, can't I just do the same again until I win?

Correct me if I'm wrong,
Jeffrey

Corrected ~ Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
I don't get the point in it though, if I do:

**Jeffrey attempts to drag John out of car'

and he resists and beats me in roll, can't I just do the same again until I win?

Correct me if I'm wrong,
Jeffrey

Seems you didn't read it fully, john locked the car after, so there's no point of attempting to opening the cae

-On phone

Reaction score
This remind me about an incident with a little black man with clownpants who wouldn't leave my car.. @Youseff

Reaction score
This really isn't needed. If the other player does indeed want to resist the /me, he will just make another /me resisting it. It doesn't change anything if you just replace the word "proceeds" with "attempts".
And yeah @Classiy is right, there is guide for that and yours is a bit false and can be confusing for players.

Reaction score
So you basically just took 3.26 and made a thread explaining it, even though it's very well, if not one of the best, explained rule out there. Call me a hater, but it seems rather pointless making this post.

Reaction score
This really isn't needed. If the other player does indeed want to resist the /me, he will just make another /me resisting it. It doesn't change anything if you just replace the word "proceeds" with "attempts".
And yeah @Classiy is right, there is guide for that and yours is a bit false and can be confusing for players.

I'm sorry even people with 2 chromosomes would understand the definition between "proceeds" and "attempts"
[DOUBLEPOST=1456316935,1456316820][/DOUBLEPOST]
So you basically just took 3.26 and made a thread explaining it, even though it's very well, if not one of the best, explained rule out there. Call me a hater, but it seems rather pointless making this post.

Won't call you nothing. But its just to point out, thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Not just that but some people do /me's like "** John would get out his pistol *** Would he, or not? They do the "would" then get the pistol out, The sentence in the /me up here ^^ Means he would, but didn't do it.

M

Reaction score
In honesty, resisting the majority of common /me actions would be breaking another rule in the first place, because they simply don't benefit the person in the long run. In most instances where someone could theoretically resist, t

Scenario - Someone with a weapon on their person has you tied up in a car and you resist getting out.
You would violate 3.4 because the other player has a weapon, there is no benefit to resisting as you would risk being shot.

Scenario - An officer is taking you out of the car at the PD while you are handcuffed, and you resist.
Where's it going to get you? You're at a PD with (realistically) abundant LEOs who can subdue you, it is unrealistic to resist at this location due to rules 3.19 and 3.4; 3.26 also states that players must not resist with bound hands.

So both of these scenarios take into account other rules: what if the target isn't bound or at gunpoint? The point is that really there is no 'resisting' with the rules in their current state - the first player either performs an invalid '/me' because they aren't in a realistic position according to the rules to perform it, or otherwise the player would be able to fully perform the action.

Scenario - You ziptie someone who is behaving aggressively without any form of leverage/weapon.
There is no real measure of a person's defense skill or strength in PERP. If you just walk up to someone to kidnap them, do a /me to smack some zipties on and move them away - should they have to roll? No. Why? It is possible to resist these actions through game mechanics, meaning that a /me would be against the rules - resisting is ambiguous; you would be able to punch the person through the mechanics and fight until one person is severely injured and must make a choice to cooperate or flee in accordance with 3.4.

In Conclusion:
  • No rule forces anyone to wait for a roll, or commit their /me in the context of an attempt.
  • I can't find many significant situations where resisting is not just a violation of the rules by the victim, or by the person who made the original /me, or both.
  • Powergaming is an ambiguous, confusing, and deprecated term that should not be used in order to avoid confusion for newer players.

Reaction score
In honesty, resisting the majority of common /me actions would be breaking another rule in the first place, because they simply don't benefit the person in the long run. In most instances where someone could theoretically resist, t

Scenario - Someone with a weapon on their person has you tied up in a car and you resist getting out.
You would violate 3.4 because the other player has a weapon, there is no benefit to resisting as you would risk being shot.

Scenario - An officer is taking you out of the car at the PD while you are handcuffed, and you resist.
Where's it going to get you? You're at a PD with (realistically) abundant LEOs who can subdue you, it is unrealistic to resist at this location due to rules 3.19 and 3.4; 3.26 also states that players must not resist with bound hands.

So both of these scenarios take into account other rules: what if the target isn't bound or at gunpoint? The point is that really there is no 'resisting' with the rules in their current state - the first player either performs an invalid '/me' because they aren't in a realistic position according to the rules to perform it, or otherwise the player would be able to fully perform the action.

Scenario - You ziptie someone who is behaving aggressively without any form of leverage/weapon.
There is no real measure of a person's defense skill or strength in PERP. If you just walk up to someone to kidnap them, do a /me to smack some zipties on and move them away - should they have to roll? No. Why? It is possible to resist these actions through game mechanics, meaning that a /me would be against the rules - resisting is ambiguous; you would be able to punch the person through the mechanics and fight until one person is severely injured and must make a choice to cooperate or flee in accordance with 3.4.

In Conclusion:
  • No rule forces anyone to wait for a roll, or commit their /me in the context of an attempt.
  • I can't find many significant situations where resisting is not just a violation of the rules by the victim, or by the person who made the original /me, or both.
  • Powergaming is an ambiguous, confusing, and deprecated term that should not be used in order to avoid confusion for newer players.

Well, it depends on then given situation,I saw some hardcore powergaming shit, you wouldn't sit there watching yourself getting tied, would you? There must be a reaction for an action took against you such as /me drags chris from his shirt, placing him in his van, as I see that'll be too excessive, there must be an attempt and its a roleplay server while i was expecting it. Like I mentioned, You do not /me it when its risking while there's a rule about escaping from LEOs with no chance, I don't expect people to follow powergaming/ /me's to full extent, but watching yourself getting tied by a stranger with no weapon is strictly stupid, and I had the same situation where i was in the CD, chilling, then i got tied with /me tIES and was dragged to a car, i mean come on, put some effort there. But overall there MUST be some respect to that, same as you warned me for powergaming by me acting deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.