A lesson in using the /me function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Introduction

Lately I've noticed the standards of player's /me functions drop significantly, anything and everything you need to know about the /me function is in rule 3.26 however it can get pretty complicated on the specifics, so the purpose of this thread is to clear up some common misconceptions. So to get started let's look at some facts about /me functions you should already be familiar with.

• Only 1 action should be carried out per /me, for example: ** Bob ties and gags the man is not allowed. Instead it should be structured **Bob ties the man **Bob gags the man
  • The whole purpose of a /me is to convey an action which otherwise is not possible due to restrictions in the game, the typical uses of the /me function in PERP are for actions such as: Placing a ticket, answering the phone, opening a car door, interacting with other players, etc.
  • Having understood the purpose of a /me it should become apparent that the function should not be used for actions that can be portrayed through the use of certain game mechanics, here is an example of a common misuse of the /me function: **Bob knocks the man out. This is an invalid use of the /me function due to the fact that unconsciousness is already a part of the game and cannot be forced onto a player through the use of a /me.
  • A /me function doesn't portray a character's knowledge in any way, it should be thought of as a substitute for animated actions. Therefore it is permitted for players to use names in a /me function even though their character has not yet obtained that information.
  • /me functions may only affect one player at a time, for example dragging two players in one action is unrealistic and cannot be done via a /me.
Interacting / affecting other players with the use of a /me function.

The most common examples of a /me used to interact with other players are for things like: dragging, searching and if that's what you're into: SexRP. As stated in rule 3.26 if an action is used to affect another player the partaking players may chose to roll to determine the outcome. Here are some examples of a Roll being used to determine the outcome of a /me:

**Bob grabs hold of the man's arm and begins dragging him
**Tim attempts to jerk his arm away from Bob's grip
||Roll|| Tim rolls: 86
||Roll|| Bob rolls: 34

In this situation, because Tim rolled highest Bob's /me is negated and Tim no longer has to follow the /me. However if Bob had rolled highest 'Tim' would have to cooperate with the /me by following 'Bob' effectively enacting a 'drag'. A player may only make one attempt at resisting an action, so if the Roll doesn't go in his favour he may not resist again. However if a player is tied or in handcuffs typically he may not resist a being dragged or handled as his arms are unusable.

A common misconception is that players should Roll to determine the outcome of a search, this is not true. Think about it, if you're searching someone it's not going to based on chance whether or not you find an item.

Lastly, if a player is using a /me to affect another player he/she must always be in a reasonable and realistic position when doing so, for example when tying someone another the players should be positioned like this:

dfe026384d.jpg

It is also advised that when using a /me on another player it should always be as descriptive as possible to eliminate confusion. Here are two examples of a /me used to tie a player:

**Charles ties
b4b288bd98.png

**Charles ties John's wrists together
tick.gif
|
Mentions the player who's being affected's name and specifies how he is being tied.

Binding a /me action

Although it's not directly mentioned in the rules it is highly inadvisable that you use binds to carry out /me actions that affect other players. The reasons behind this are that if several different /me's come after each other in a chain due to a routine 'bind-press' it eliminates the roleplay immersion because the other players involved have to quickly read through 3-4 lines of /me actions. Blurting out 3-4 different /me actions in a row also means that the player(s) being affected by the /me don't have a chance to resist roleplay accordingly.

However binding simple actions such as **Opens the door is usually accepted as it doesn't affect any other players and doesn't harm roleplay.

Reaction score
Very nice and helpful for the people that need to learn it!

Reaction score
Well Done Moron! It's looks pretty nice!

I have a lot of experience from HL2RP, just take a look on this Video!

Last edited:

amr

Reaction score
This could help a lot of people to go back and use /me commands more often because I don't want to be the only one :p

Reaction score
I have a question though.
If a player was affected by a /me in an unrealistic way (Not following the things said in this guide) what should the player do? Report the guy made the false /me or completely ignore the /me shouting "THE /ME IS FALSE YOU DIDN'T TIE ME" and killing the guy :kappa: ?

Reaction score
Hi Moron,

So a few days ago I saw @SteyLex resisting arrest by saying /me resisting to get in the car (or something like that) and the officer just kept ignoring it and tried to not do it.

So if you are in cuffs getting pushed in the car, can you resist by rolling the dice?

Status
Not open for further replies.