Brexit Thread

Are you in favour of Britian leaving the EU?

• Yes (I live in the UK)

• No (I live in the UK)

• Yes (I live outside of the UK)

• No (I live outside of the UK)

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have heard about the upcoming referendum in the UK about Britian leaving the EU and becoming independent again. Many proponents of the Brexit claim that the EU has too much power over their country and is wasting their money while the critics argue that the EU is in fact benefitting the UK.
As this is currently a highly debated issue even within this community I thought about creating a thread about it where we can discuss it instead of resorting to do so on profile pages. (@Duffy)
Please vote and share your opinion here. Also feel free to change your opinion at any time.

Please don't vote anyone's post (regardless in which way) since that would just encourage bandwagoning and other sorts of issues. As such any ratings will be deleted.

Last edited:

Ayjay

Reaction score
I feel that leaving the EU will leave us in a financial and economical position which would take us a prolonged period of time to get out of; as a nation I do not feel that we are strong enough independently to cope with the loss of jobs, trade or democracy which we currently have.

Think about it like this, 1 in 10 of all jobs have been created by links to the European Union which we risk been taken away upon the split. Not to mention 50 percent of all UK exports are taken off our hands by the EU which again is a relationship we face losing.

The UK has a big influence, do you think that leaving the EU would help us speak our voice or would it diminish any qualms we have with other countries as we're not as big anymore and don't have that support to overturn company decisions.

I was hoping to head to go to a European country and study in the next few years, I'd be entitled to free education in certain places. However leaving the EU would more than likely ruin that.

I'm going to be voting IN this election, I feel that change isn't needed and hopefully you understand that too.

MattIs

Laying down some information:

Here are some reasons to why I think we should leave the Union:
  • Jobs are being cut in Public Sector area's in this country - a lot of this is in attempt to try and re-stabilise the economy after the crisis however it has gone beyond excessive now. We should be looking to do things slowly however it's going way too fast. I believe that leaving the European Union will allow us to have better control of our money.
  • Countries that are in Europe and are not in the EU survive perfectly fine! Infact Norway has some excellent trade figures. Why can't we just be like them and sign the European Free Trade Agreement but leave the Union?
  • The European Union sets taxes here in the United Kingdom - Why should we have our taxes set by a body of people who don't even live in the UK?
  • The heads of the european council are not elected by members of the countries. Why should we have to do what non elected governors say?
And some reasons to stay:
  • That Mobile Thing across Europe looks quite good but how often do people really travel around Europe? Mhm - once every 2 years for me, not sure about anyone else.
  • European Healthcare is good for citizens wishing to travel.

I think it's going to be a very interesting poll, even though the Tories will probably rig it!

Reaction score
I think everyone has forgotten the downsides to leaving the EU like imports and exports which will cost more and raise prices of goods. Also it will become harder to travel to EU countries and we will not get the support of the EU members.

If Greece was not part of the EU would it still be around?

Reaction score
  • Staff
Just going to throw this out here
Yeah, I'm sure a 3 minute animated video that is only showing the reasons as to why britain should leave the EU is going to be a great contribution to the thread. If you don't want to share your own opinion why even post?

Jobs are being cut in Public Sector area's in this country
That's completely the responsibility of your government trying to save money, you elected some neo liberal conservatives and now you are surprised that happened.

Infact Norway has some excellent trade figures
That's because norway has LOADS of oil and gas and they're dumb. It's in the interest of the EU to have a common market with them and arguably we profit way more from it than they do since 82% of their exports (=mostly oil) into the EU.

"To participate in the EU's single market, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are party to the Agreement on a European Economic Area (EEA), with compliance regulated by the EFTA Surveillance Authority and the EFTA Court. "

"The EEA is based on the same "four freedoms" as the European Community: the free movement of goods, persons, services, and capital among the EEA countries. Thus, the EEA countries that are not part of the EU enjoy free trade with the European Union. Also, '[t]he free movement of persons is one of the core rights guaranteed in the European Economic Area (EEA)
As a counterpart, these countries have to adopt part of the Law of the European Union. However they also contribute to and influence the formation of new EEA relevant policies and legislation at an early stage as part of a formal decision-shaping process."
"The non-EU members of the EEA have no representation in Institutions of the European Union such as the European Parliament or European Commission. This situation has been described as a “fax democracy”, with Norway waiting for their latest legislation to be faxed from the Commission."

What this basically means is that if you leave the EU and want to trade with it, you'd have to (most likely) join the EEA. This means that you no longer have much say in any policy decissions but you'd still be required to follow (some) EU laws. Now I really don't see how that's going to be productive for the UK in any way. Please elaborate the point of the leave campaign then.

The heads of the european council are not elected by members of the countries. Why should we have to do what non elected governors say?
Just like the house of lords :eggonface:
You clearly signed the treaties that regulated the european council back then, that kinda legitimizes them. Not to mention that each country sends one person to be a member of the commision. But of course that's some valid criticism of the EU, but why wouldn't you just fix it instead of running away like some children? I don't think any such attempt has ever been made by your government.

Deleted member 4084

May I just ask; what are the advantages and disadvantages of both:
Staying and Leaving. I'm curious, most people I know are saying stay yet people want to leave.
Including Boris Johnson (Former Mayor of London)

Reaction score
Just posting here because of people saying "The UK will lose its trade" or something along the lines of this. If thats not your opinion ignore this.

Would companies really decide that they won't trade with the UK at all because we leave? The UK is one of the biggest importers and people would not decide to up and stop trading because we are no longer part if the EU. Yes we might be charged different taxes but thats not what I am going on about.