Officers shooting out tires of vehicles while they're parked

Should police be allowed to shoot out tires of vehicles?

• Yes

• No

• Not during bank robberies

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
If you bring any decent evidence and/or other gov witnesses there is a lot more you can RP about, otherwise the supervisor is forced to believe said LEO. I'd still try to get a supervisor to try to deal with it, because if they lie to said supervisor the'll get a much harder punishment for it when you submit that as IA evidence.

Reaction score
The point is the cars should be usable as there's no other way of escaping other than running through the park and cops will eventually figure that out.

Reaction score
You're forgetting there is a massive parking garage right next to the bank, so even if you're dumb enough to park your car right behind the bank during the robbery and the wheels are popped all you have to do is legit walk 6 seconds from bank to the garage and get any new car out?

If there were any officer alive and you're in your car driving off from bank robbery they have all the rights to simply shoot you out your car anyway, so don't even try to make the argument that you can't exit the bank without a car.

Reaction score
Let me remind you how you need to have full stamina to sprint there. It's super hard because you have the first wave of respawned officers already coming back at that time.

Plus no point in arguing. Apparently it's against policy, so this should really not be aa further issue.

Reaction score
I carry around 10 water bottles though, and you don't need full stamina to run 20 meters. Infact you can shift run from city hall to city garage lol.

Reaction score
We didn't lose because of this. It's just aids respawning, seeing you didn't even manage to escape and your tires are popped.

Mostly because me parking my car properly and legally, should not bring up the assumption it's mine. But since there's a big ass sign saying it's mine...

This is not about cops being comfortable, it's about balance..
I have asked you to come up with a decent plan how to escape. No one gave me one which is not over regals overpass or park. Both of those both spots expose you and get you shot instantly.

Plus why is it every time there's a post against the PD someone makes a reply like this and thinks they're unique. We're discussing stuff right. Even if you don't like it and some specific other, you don't have to participate in the discussion without proper constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Ayjay

Reaction score
The issue here is the lack of actual clarification when it comes to this specific action taken by officers.

Wheels shouldn't be shot for the fun of it, nor should tires be shot prematurely to give officers an upper hand in shootouts.
It generally shouldn't be done.

I am drawn to understand it more if the officer(s) doing it have strong justifiable reasoning to do so (I.e. to preserve lives). Intention is a big factor in many situations, and that is ultimately judged by Internal Affairs.

We plan on writing specifics of this in our updated handbook next month.

Hope this somewhat helped.

Reaction score
As Exrobrite said, the supervisor will just request evidence anyway. For me, getting evidence means closing gmod, going into Plays, clipping the video, uploading it and then I can get back onto perp.
And when I can't see what happened directly, I have to work with the shitty demo system. Demos being so shitty has stopped me from making a complaint a couple of times now.
I just can't be bothered spending all that time and work and risking it won't even be accepted anyway.
You PLPD boys like to log everything, why don't you supervisors have a dedicated officer log in which popping tires, shooting guns etc is logged?

Reaction score
We see you mention this, but at the time of me not knowing this wasn't okay I previously witnessed chiefs shooting out tires because they were parked at CH while a shootout was ongoing.

Generally officers shoot out tires at bank robberies, no matter if people are involved or not.

Officers also complain in ooc why we don't leave an area, but they pop the tires.

In general this wouldn't be so bad if the car would be still usable after that, but seeing that the max controllable speed with popped tires is 15mph which means people can sprint faster than you drive is pretty shit

Ayjay

Reaction score
@Tilin Await the handbook changes, clarifying this topic & we can go from there.
In the meantime, feel free to utilise the Internal Affairs system if you believe officers have acted unjustly.

Reaction score
I don't think the speed is the biggest issue, it's the handling in my opinion. With popped tires driving is like ice on ice.

Reaction score
What if a car gets disabled in crossfire? Or a suspect is hiding behind a random person's car? The Officer shouldn't really stop shooitng just because property is in danger when the officer's life is in danger.

Reaction score
Ironic, how all votes go to "No" and there still cops doing it.

I'm against this idea even when they try to tow the cars, as for cops they don't know what are the suspect's vehicle expect if they already know it by reports, in my opinion, cops shouldn't tow cars just because it's in the crime scene

Reaction score
@KeiwaM
None of us ever stated any of that. In general the officer shouldn't fire unneeded rounds into the vehicle, but that is completely justified.

Reaction score
The issue here is the lack of actual clarification when it comes to this specific action taken by officers.

Wheels shouldn't be shot for the fun of it, nor should tires be shot prematurely to give officers an upper hand in shootouts.
It generally shouldn't be done.

I am drawn to understand it more if the officer(s) doing it have strong justifiable reasoning to do so (I.e. to preserve lives). Intention is a big factor in many situations, and that is ultimately judged by Internal Affairs.

We plan on writing specifics of this in our updated handbook next month.

Hope this somewhat helped.
Thank you @ayjay ツ for explaining this. As well as thank you for the clarification in the handbook once it's updated.

To everyone else. You better stop shooting my tires every 3s whenever I park.

Reaction score
@KeiwaM

In those cases, you can actually use 2.1/2.2 and 4.3 without using it for your personal benefit, as you are using it to actually do your job. If someone is posing an immediate threat and is attempting to or currently bringing harm towards you or anyone else you may discharge towards them as long as you do not hit civilians in the crossfire. As stated by policy 5F - Use of Force in the handbook.