[Debate] Education system in your country.

Ayjay

Reaction score
Education

Something that has always annoyed me is the current education system in England, I'll post my view below but I just want to ask you guys a few questions.

• Do you think the education system works where you live (Why does/does it not):
  • What could be changed to improve education as a whole
  • Are exams a good idea in order to gain qualifications?
  • Are teachers trained enough in the field of teaching and pupil management?
  • Can the goverment do more in order to support education?
  • Do you benefit as much as you could from School?
  • Is school-life too much presure?
They are just a few questions to get this debate going, you don't really have to answer them but give your honest opinions on if school works, if it's worth it and what could be done to change it / improve it.

What do you think? Post below, remember to 'reply' the posts which you disagree with however if your response is short use the 'comment' function.

MattIs

• Teachers are paid more than enough in my opinion.
  • I went from an extreme retard to doing the hardest A-Levels.
  • To improve the system I think a free past paper printing scheme needs to be introduced as I find it hard to print at home and I get had a go at, at school when I print past papers :(

Ayjay

Reaction score
  • Teachers are paid more than enough in my opinion.
  • I went from an extreme retard to doing the hardest A-Levels.
  • To improve the system I think a free past paper printing scheme needs to be introduced as I find it hard to print at home and I get had a go at, at school when I print past papers :(

I'm not just talking about what could be done about assisting pupils in order to gain more GCSE's or teach them a little better.

I am talking about is it really all worth it? Learning shed loads of information which about 60% you will forget and not need later on in life. Is it really worth it learning stuff for an examination and then having useless information for the rest of life?

Teachers are not taught on how to control a class, how to use the best of their abilities to teach and open up the young minds. Schools are there to feed you information for a few years which then leads up to an examination of that course which you need to either pass or the last 11 years of your life within education was absolutley pointless.

Schools don't teach how to be confident, how to aproach a job interview, how to find jobs and how to actually suceed in life; they teach knowledge of a given course and then assess you on that; sure they give you absolute help but usually you're receiving the wrong kind of help.

Do I honestly need to know how Curley's wife is being treated, how to compare between Shakespeare and poetry, what Pythagoras' thereom is?

In my honest opinion, No.

Deleted member 1235

Well there are a few key points I would like to see added/changed
  • Expand on PSHCE(Or whatever your school calls it, for me it's called Personal development).
  • Teach proper life skills, how to open a bank account, how to fix a broken plug socket, cooking etc.
  • Reduce class sizes from 30 to around 15, this will allow more 1 to 1 with teachers and students
  • Make subjects more relevant, especially in maths.
  • Make Government & Politics a compulsory lesson along with Computing in order to help quell the apathetic youth and the idea that all politicians are corrupt etc.
  • Exam grade boundaries should be fixed and permanent and not be 60 for an A* one year and 75 for an A*the next
  • Disruptive students should have to suffer, not the class. Have a simple 3 warning system. On 3rd warning expel them (Unless there's a really really good reason as to why they're misbehaving in class)
  • Fix the funding schools have and their links with the LEA and Council. I spend £20 every week on the bus and can't get a bus pass because the school I got to isn't the closest one to me.
  • Bring back the cane. Simply threatening a chav with a detention sometimes isn't enough as a teacher can't do anything to "force" him/her to go. Smack on the arse/hands would make them think again.
  • More funding for school trips, rather than going to the local duck pond.

(Don't force change. My county and one other were only places in the UK where we used a 3 tier system. So whilst most of you done primary school from year 0 to 6 then secondary from 7-6th form, we used to have Lower school 0-4, middle school 5-8 and upper school 9-6th form. We were then forced to change by the government meaning many middle schools have had to close and the upper schools have had to accommodate younger years. My school has suffered as we now have too many lil kids there who are running around playing kiss chase whilst we're trying to study for A-Levels.)
(Will add some more later if I can think of it)

Reaction score
Cons:
  • Teachers are lazy and we have alot of free hours.
  • Teachers give up on you if first impressions that you gave are bad.
  • Days are too short. (3 Days from the week end at 12:30)
  • Some schools out here suck dick.
Pros:
  • Teachers are hired by quality rather then quantity. (Most of the times)
  • My school has plenty of programs and stuff that are fun and enjoyable (Farming, Amazing school trips, Etc.)
  • Science is awesome!
  • Cafetiria (Place you buy food at) has amazing eggs.
Anyways thats what I think of our education system in Israel. My school is 2nd place in Israel so I dont really know how other schools are, but some schools have an exam and test average of 30 :/

Ayjay

Reaction score
I think the English education system is alright, don't have bagheads in your class = easy time

OFT:

It's kinda hard focusing on work with the bagheads in your classroom in Leeds.
img

Reaction score
  • Do you think the education system works where you live (Why does/does it not):
  • What could be changed to improve education as a whole
  • Are exams a good idea in order to gain qualifications?
  • Are teachers trained enough in the field of teaching and pupil management?
  • Can the goverment do more in order to support education?
  • Do you benefit as much as you could from School?
  • Is school-life too much presure?
  1. Well it works but it's is really bad in my opinion
  2. Better ways for children with migrational background to learn german and integrate themselfs better into the society and culture. More support for 2nd language classes, not the fucking "Zentralmatura" for math (it consists of a Type 1 and 2, If you fail Type 1, you failed the whole A-level in math, if are 60% of the exercises in Type 1 corrcet you can fail Type 1 and still get a D, Type 1 consists so called "basic-skill" exersises, if the calculation in one exersise is correct, you get 2 points for it, if it has a small or simple error, you get no points; as a side note, a test A-level was done for math, 30% of the students failed...)
  3. Yes but politicians have no clue what they are doing over here (see A-Level example above)
  4. NO! Not even half of the math teachers have a clue on how to prepare the students for the A-levels, the are not allowed to train the basic-skills-exercises in the regular lesson and we only started learning the new sbuject materials for math last year I have to write my A-levels next year! and the grade above us had only 2 years to get to know the shits. The teachers are overwhelmed!
  5. They do the opposite, see above. They are going head-on-collision with the students
  6. No, it's horrible, i will only need 30% of what I've learned in my future career when not even less
  7. I started smoking again...so guess..

I don't know how your education system is but I hope it ain't worse than in Austria.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you think the education system works where you live (Why does/does it not):
It works just fine, I mean those who want to learn get to, those who don't can drop out and go to College, that's how it should be.

What could be changed to improve education as a whole:
The gap between AS-Level and GCSE is waaay too big, I mean, GCSE A is 60%ish, AS-Level is 90%

Are exams a good idea in order to gain qualifications?
Until there's another way to measure academic ability, then it's fine, I mean, exams are the only way you can actually test someone's ability in the subject, unless you go into BTECs which are definitely not the way forward.

Are teachers trained enough in the field of teaching and pupil management?
I can only speak for my school, but in my classes I've seen no problems in teaching methods, although student management could be better from some teachers, but they only prey on the weak teachers.

Can the goverment do more in order to support education?
Increase funding, as a student governor I heard about the amount of cuts that are being made, £300,000 is too much to be cut by for three years.

Do you benefit as much as you could from School?
I attend all my classes, I take part in most extra curricular activities, I'm on the student council so in short, yes.

Is school-life too much presure?
It's not too much for me, so it shouldn't be too much for anyone else, time management is the key to having an easy school life.

Reaction score
  • Do you think the education system works where you live (Why does/does it not): Yeah, honestly it works well as you're allowed to work as much as you want and you get all the things you're supposed to do during that semester and you can finish it in 2 weeks if you just work hard. As me for example; I only got 2 subjects left as I finished everything else
  • What could be changed to improve education as a whole? Letting people know that they can do everything before-hand instead of waiting for the teacher to give you new things.
  • Are exams a good idea in order to gain qualifications? No as there's to much pressure into one exam and you need to perform, often teachers believe that it's the biggest thing ever in my eyes
  • Are teachers trained enough in the field of teaching and pupil management? In my school yes, overall no.
  • Can the goverment do more in order to support education? Let us go outside and work a lot as it usually helps students concentrate.
  • Do you benefit as much as you could from School? I guess
  • Is school-life too much presure? Nope, not for me atleast, only thing I get worried about is exams as last year I had to go inactive on perp due to exams and now as I realised that I need to work hard I do it for 2 weeks straight instead of having about 5-7 things that has to be done next week and exams next week.