Extremely slow booting times

Reaction score
Ive been having this problem ever since i got this laptop. It's a pretty decent one, i always put it on sleep. Mainly because it has 12 gig's of ram which it can share 4 to the GPU. Returning from sleep takes only 2 seconds.
However,
Turning it off and on takes a mere 5-8 minutes. It starts with only my wallpaper, an emtpy taskbar. Then icons appear 1 by one. Then the processes start dropping in and it's done.

Other than that it is extremely fast. You almost have the idea it has an SSD by how silent it is.

The only problem i think it might be is thermal trhotteling.
it NEVER gets hotter on the surface where my wrist is then 30 degrees. Unless i do some gaming.
but that doesn't slow down anything else.

Specs:
AMD a8-6410 Quad core CPU (Boost up to 2.4 trottles to 0.5 but then up to 2.4 in a second, Idle's at 1ghz for low temps, As of having three chrome tabs and steam open it is on 1.7ghz taking 18% )
1 TB 5200rpm Hard drive
R5 intergrated graphics (Shared memory up to 4 gigs, 800mhz)
handy dandy 12 gigs of DDR3 memory

(Full model name acer Aspire E5-521-84TV)

would be amazing if anybody can help with ths
PS:

I frequently delete cookies and stuff
Defrag like every month

Programs that start along windows :

F.lux( Very light program that makes your screen orange tinted to not fuck up your sleep pattern)
Steam
AvastUI.exe (Antivirus, however im removing this shit and plan to just get malwarebytes instead.
Classic Shell(Fuck windows 8, i want my start menu)
Audio drivers
Catalyst driver

Reaction score
Booting used to take ages for me also including starting up my programs. Clear space on your hard drive after wiping my hard drive booting did not take long at all but my little brother who has piled so many things on it takes ages to shut down. It depends how much of your hard drive you are using and how many programs it needs to shut down to be able to shut the computer down.

Reaction score
Use the program "run.exe" and put in %temp%:
0938fad73c.png

Delete everything inside it, and if this comes up for any sort of folder or file:
3ed5c33145.png

You just press Skip, this should clear up some memory and make your booting time faster.

download CCleaner, press "
949e052fe5.png
" when you have started the program, when its done, press "
08112e6b39.png
" this will pop up:
93a5d6ea78.png
" press ok, but keep in mind this will permanently delete files from your history on the webbrowser and clean your recycle bind etc please read through what is checked here:
bd43301ce0.png
before clicking OK.

This should speed it up a little, hope it helped ;D

Reaction score
Lucky you're not me.

I filled my 1TB hard-drive and my boot time is approximately 10 minutes.
15ca36bd79.png

I suggest clearing some space up on your pc.

Reaction score
Thanks fo all the help guys, ive tested this on a similar laptop, but with a 7200rpm HDD and its definatly faster.
I have dank ram in this laptop, which explains the fast boot time from sleep mode.
Ill proberly save up for an SSD and replace it, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Rip. Boot time for me and login takes merely 25 sec. Shutting down takes 15 sec.
ccfa82b4ec.png

9f1b46fc15.png

Edit: Get an SSD and put OS on it, it's the best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Press your; START BUTTON + R

This should open "Run"

Type "MSCONFIG"

uncheck anything you don't want to boot up when your pc starts.

Click "Ok"

Restart

Profit.

Reaction score
Slow booting times can be caused by USB devices slowing it down. This can be usually 3.0 Devices or devices that use drivers to work or automatically force onto them. Try unplugging them and waiting for the system to fully boot. If you are having issues with Windows actually be fully loaded so you can use it and open programs, you may be in order for a system clean. Easiest way to do this is reinstall Windows. Otherwise this may be signs that your Hard Drive is starting to die. You can run tests on HDD disks to check them. Also, noises from your HDD may be a sign.