Faulty PSU fan and general upgrading questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I've already found the source of my issues and looking to replace, however I have no tools available to me to help remove additional dust which is contributing to overheating, I'm down on one case fan and just got one replaced due to electrical issues. What's currently happening is that I'm stuck with this PSU until I can actually either get it fixed, or replaced.

I have 3 case fans, and two integrated fans, one belonging to the PSU, I have space for one more case fan and still my CPU reaches drastically high heat levels mainly when I play Garry's mod, or in an application that eats my cpu.

I hit my limit just now and my PC shut off due to overheating, I've needed to restart anyways for a while now but I just never bother, mainly because I'm stuck with a memory of waiting for my PC to boot up for ages, even though it doesn't anymore. And I'm used to the noise, in fact I'm not able to get to sleep without it, pure silence just puts me off, it's a habit I'm in the process of breaking.
That's besides the point, what I'm trying to ask is what would the best course of action be?
I'm not a full on PC nerd, I just happen to know a decent amount of what goes on but not everything.

Anyways, the PSU fan starts kicking in when it really begins getting warm, and the noise is bad but not outright terrible. Even through my headphones I hear it. It's a constant clicking noise when it kicks in proper.

(heat is measured in metric, not imperial)
PSU: TX650M
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (runs at 30° when Discord, Steam, Chrome and WE is running)
MB: MSI 970A-G43 (runs at 50° when Discord, Steam, Chrome and WE is running)
RAM: 8GB
GPU: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 (runs at 50° when Discord, Steam, Chrome and WE is running)
And my current case is a Cooler Master Scout 2

And I'm looking to upgrade to Nvidia from AMD (because AMD simply sucks at this point). I should be able to get my hands on a 970 card.

I just wish to know what would be the best setup for a 970 using the scout 2 case, and if it will fit, I remember just trying to fit everything when I first had this built at home, it was a pain. The motherboard doesn't actually fit properly, it made it in there just barely and even then it's actually twisted and the USB's on the back don't line up correctly.
There's not enough connection points for the fans so a splitter had to be used just to connect them to the motherboard.
The entire PC is ages old and was built Feb. 2014. So the warranty is completely out the window save for some components maybe, highly doubt that.
I haven't had a single windows re-install and still I'm running just fine save for hardware issues.
Tbf I'm surprised this rig has made it this far with how old some of the hardware I have, is (famous last words).

Anyways, make suggestions and I'll have a look alongside some friends that know their shit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
PSU fans are not designed to be replaced, though if you feel adventurous they usually have standard 120mm fans but opening the PSU is annoying to do. In addition risk of shock can occur even if you powered it off because of the capacitors holding charge for a while so if you do take this route don't go touching everything :)

Reaction score
PSU fans are not designed to be replaced, though if you feel adventurous they usually have standard 120mm fans but opening the PSU is annoying to do. In addition risk of shock can occur even if you powered it off because of the capacitors holding charge for a while so if you do take this route don't go touching everything :)
I more or less won't, I'd rather replace it entirely instead of risking shocking myself to death then. Good to know.
(Fredy bring comments back pls, it's annoying having to post small shit like this)

Reaction score
try and keep your computer on a desk or a piece of wood to keep dust from going into the PSU. My PSU blew up due to having it on carpet and a shit ton of dust got into the PSU. In my opinion, just replace the whole PSU.

Reaction score
(because AMD simply sucks at this point
Not really, my Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 580 don't even overheat and stay at their target temperature that I've set to (75°C for gpu, around 50°C or 60°C for cpu), you have older hardware from AMD which isnt the best at the moment. They stepped up their game since their Zen and Polaris release. These are my temps in PERP, note how the fans are not even spinning while enjoying that shitty but managable 60fps in this unoptimized garbage game
Ry3w1nnh.jpg

Anyways, your best thing to do to make this worth while is to clean your hardware and case to the best of your ability, you can use a vacuum for your emptied out case (also be sure to discharge it by touching it+another metal just incase it did build up static before you're putting everything back together) but please not for any other component as the static is too risky. Use a aircan duster for that, if it's a compressor make sure it doesn't have any humidity. Don't touch the PSU by opening it, air clean that too and stay away from those capacitors.
Next step involves some money and time so order some thermal paste (Arctic MX2) and Isopropyl 99.9% rubbing alcohol and some q-tips to replace your old thermal paste. You need some simple stuff to remove the cpu fan from the socket (some are toolless hinges if you're lucky) so watch some tutorials on how to replace your old thermal paste as it's a pain for me to write all of this on mobile. I did this on my old craptop and it's easier to do in a tower PC but the results are wonderful. The same can be done for the GPU but that's your choice.

If you want to buy new hardware I can always give you advice so feel free to ask me.

dog

Reaction score
Replace the entire PSU will be much better, and in general just move the entire computer away from carpet if possible or try getting better dust filters. Better thermal paste, better CPU cooler, water cooling (if possible), or even just better airflow (air flow inside case or making sure your computer isn't in an enclosed space) would help with thermals a lot and make sure to clean those dirty case fans.

Reaction score
I'm nowhere near any carpeting, I have everything on a solid wood surface, and there's no space for my tower to be on my desk, it's a simple office desk so I can't do much about it.

Anyways, yeah I'll look into the thermal paste change, but I more or less want to look into getting new hardware and upgrade to Nvidia via a 970 that I might be able to get for basically free at some point, which should be a good starting point.

Reaction score
Well alright, thanks for your help guys, I've got plans for an upgrade and have had help from several different people off perp.
Going on a fishing trip will net me all I need for the upgrade.

Major update
PC dead, I fucking killed it trying to clean dust, like an idiot I forgot to ground myself, killed my CPU, PSU and MB with electrical shock.
No biggie though, I've been bored lately anyways and a little time off will do me good.

Thanks again.

This thread can be closed, locked and moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.