History on WW1

Reaction score
I've recently started history WW1 at school and was confused on who was involved in the triple alliance. I thought it was Austria-Hungary, Germany and Italy but multiple other things have said different things. Anyone know who fought who and who was in each alliance?

Reaction score
So the Triple alliance was Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy and they fought the Triple Entente which was Great Britain, France and Russia. I'm pretty sure that after the Triple Entente started to win the war Italy moved sides.

As they say - an Italian tank has 5 Buttons, one to go forward and 4 to go back.
(Also I think its spelt Entente I'm not sure lol)

Reaction score
So the Triple alliance was Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy and they fought the Triple Entente which was Great Britain, France and Russia. I'm pretty sure that after the Triple Entente started to win the war Italy moved sides.

As they say - an Italian tank has 5 Buttons, one to go forward and 4 to go back.
Also the Triple Alliance later gained The Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria and Serbia but those aren't usually mentioned alot

Reaction score

At a certain date, I heard Russia left the war too and switched out with the USA which was a major change in how the war was going because there was a less worn out side fighting. Russia left also because it was having a revolution I think? I'm not sure the main reason why they left though.

Deleted member 1235

Time to put my History Degree to use

So you had the Triple Entente which was primarily the Russian Empire, British Empire and French Republic.

As for the other 'big 3' you'll be looking at the Central Powers, which consisted primarily of Germany, Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire.

Russia was getting thrashed during WW1, unlike the Western Front, there were actual advances into Russia. There was a revolution in February and October 1917. By the second revolution Russia was exhausted and the trust in the Tsar (Russian King) was at a low. The Bolsheviks (reds) took over and started a Civil War against the Imperial Tasrists (white army). With a Civil War happening Russia couldn't beat Germany so they sought for peace and basically left it to Britain France and Italy.

The US joined for two reasons, one the sinking of a cruise liner full of Americans by a German submarine and also the Zimmerman telegram, in which Germany told Mexico if they invaded the USA they'd let them reclaim lost territory. The whole point was that the US wouldn't send troops to Europe (which was likely after the sinking of the lusitania had turned US opinion against Germany) if they were fighting the Mexicans.

Deleted member 1235

Also the Triple Alliance later gained The Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria and Serbia but those aren't usually mentioned alot
Serbia never joined the Central Powers. The war itself started because Austria-Hungary sent impossible demands to Serbia following the assassination of the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne Franz Ferdinand

Reaction score
Serbia never joined the Central Powers. The war itself started because Austria-Hungary sent impossible demands to Serbia following the assassination of the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne Franz Ferdinand
I learnt that Serbian Terroists assisnated Archduke of something Franz Ferdinand while he was visiting troops in Bosnia, however, they failed miserably with the first attempt using grenades until much later when the driver drove down a alley and one of the terroists was sitting there. Bit retarded tbf.

EDIT: Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria I think.

Deleted member 1235

I learnt that Serbian Terroists assisnated Archduke of something Franz Ferdinand while he was visiting troops in Bosnia, however, they failed miserably with the first attempt using grenades until much later when the driver drove down a alley and one of the terroists was sitting there. Bit retarded tbf.

EDIT: Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria I think.
Basically he did a grenade attack and failed. Ferdinand wanted to continue the procession against his advisors advice. Then the terrorist (Gavrilo Princip) went to get a sandwich and the driver accidentally turned down the road where he was. Literally the best luck for the terrorist but his shot changed the history of Europe and the world.

Reaction score
Basically he did a grenade attack and failed. Ferdinand wanted to continue the procession against his advisors advice. Then the terrorist (Gavrilo Princip) went to get a sandwich and the driver accidentally turned down the road where he was. Literally the best luck for the terrorist but his shot changed the history of Europe and the world.
I agree entirely. The luck is immense, one mistake of a wrong turning cost over 8 million deaths of soldiers in WW1.

Reaction score
Is it just WW1 you're doing?
We've just moved onto more showing the attempted revolution into communism in Russia and onto the making of Hitler (army, upbringing and how he got into the Nazi party).

Deleted member 1235

We've just moved onto more showing the attempted revolution into communism in Russia and onto the making of Hitler (army, upbringing and how he got into the Nazi party).
Literally my main topic area at University was 1900-1990, especially the interwar period with things like the Naval conferences, League of Nations, Mukden Incident, Abyssinia Crisis, Hoare-Lavel Pact, Munich Crisis etc

Deleted member 1235

brrrr serbia start ww1
Rather ironically with the intricate web of alliances that existed at the start of the century, Austria-Hungary alone couldn't actually defeat Serbia and needed German, Ottoman and Bulgarian help to drive them out in 1915.

Reaction score
Rather ironically with the intricate web of alliances that existed at the start of the century, Austria-Hungary alone couldn't actually defeat Serbia and needed German, Ottoman and Bulgarian help to drive them out in 1915.