How to Playback demo files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I cannot seem to open the demos for Perpheads, if i try to run it on adobe, it does not work, if i try to run it on VLC It does not work even if i try to run it on Media Player it does not work, how do I open Perpheads demos files? As it does not work for me on Windows 10, I need this to be solved for I am making an AR and I can't do it without having the proof, I have all the evidence on the demo, but I cant play it back, or even open it, is there something I can do to like put it on YT? Because i am super confused on what to do right now, thank in advance for your help.

bandicam 2018-06-11 18-44-10-009.jpg

Solution
The actual proper way to play a demo recording is as followed;

• Re-name the demo file in your files to something random
  • Start-up Garry's Mod Singleplayer
  • Press Shift+F2 and it should open up the demo recording menu to select/pause/play ect..
  • Open up the demo recording you've renamed
This always works for me, happens that the demo recording doesnt wanna play if you do not rename it cause it doesn't "see" it correctly.
Reaction score
Start up Garry's Mod > Go into demos > Play them > Record using a third party software (Shadowplay etc) > Upload to YT
Please, can you show me a video on how to play them, because whenever i try to, it just says 'error' or like we cant run this file, and it keeps showing "How do you wanna open this file?" But all of them dont work

Reaction score
WAIT WAIT, so, I tried doing the thing up above, but the file is auto-changed to one of the files, and so its set to adobe, how do I change my demo files back so I can actually PLAY them on gmod, PLEASE HELP :(

Reaction score
On your gmod main menu you should see it says demos click on it then click on the demo you want to play, I’m confused by what you are talking about right now but tomorrow if it’s not sorted then I can guide you through it more thoroughly

//phone

Reaction score
The actual proper way to play a demo recording is as followed;

• Re-name the demo file in your files to something random
  • Start-up Garry's Mod Singleplayer
  • Press Shift+F2 and it should open up the demo recording menu to select/pause/play ect..
  • Open up the demo recording you've renamed
This always works for me, happens that the demo recording doesnt wanna play if you do not rename it cause it doesn't "see" it correctly.

Solution
Reaction score
Hit 'Demos' in the main menu.
d323f29f78.jpg

Then click on 'Play' when you highlight a demo in the following menu. (Do not click 'make video' ever, it doesn't do what you think it does, it is far easier to use a recording software and upload privately to youtube)
b45a346a79.jpg

Demos are by default date and time sorted as perpheads does this on purpose to allow easier navigation. The timestamp is the exact moment of the demo starting its recording. So in order to go back to a specific time you need to play a demo that began recording just under an hour before the situation occurred.

In order to skip time in a demo hit Shift + F2 to open the playback menu. Going backwards in a demo requires you to reload the demo again (it will do this automatically if you skip to a timeframe that is backwards in time, so don't bother doing it manually)

When you wish to upload a demo, note down the demo's name as it is also used in the folder to identify them. Take the file and upload it to any file hosting site such as mega or anything alike. You may rename the demo to anything you like since it's name is not important.

Do not tamper with demos [Image] or stop them from recording, you'll not only be breaking the rules but you will also not be able to provide demos as evidence when you in the inevitable event get involved in an action request where your demo could be the deciding factor in whether or not you get punished. If you have complaints about privacy then you may stop playing on the server in order to preserve your perfect imaginative world of complete privacy.

If you somehow changed your demo file type in the folder, click 'rename' and at the end change its filetype (via name) to .dem in order to change it back, then play it through the game.
The game acts as both a game and a media player for its own files.

If you cannot see specific models or are getting 'Error' signs, join the server first, disconnect then play the demo. You should now have all the models and textures you require to see everything. This happens because the server temporarily downloads its content onto your PC for use when you play.
__

This little walk-through may have flaws that I've not yet looked over, point them out and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.