Reaction score
Right!

So, I was involved in a staff sit and something interesting came up in it that has 'bothered' me slightly afterwards. Not the actual sit itself, no, as it was dealt with appropriately and in my opinion the staff member involved was very fair.

What left me thinking was something that came up in the discussion. The sit was basically about a simple GP violation on my behalf, and I ain't afraid to say that I was the one definitely in the wrong here, bite me. This isn't about me trying to disprove that. What came up though is that I claimed that my initial gun draw in that situation was instinctive, which the staff member more or less denied saying, that such a thing can't be of instinctive nature. I disagreed with him, but it didn't matter as it was a moot point anyway, as I continued to act beyond the initial gun draw in the situation in question, but the topic stuck with me for some reason.

Then I remembered that I've actually had situations before where I instinctively pulled out a gun only to realize after the gun draw that I shouldn't have done it, which usually led me to awkwardly crouching down and turning my back to the initiator with the weapon still in my hands all the while screaming "I SuRrEnDEr". Something like this is rare, but if it is to happen, it's when I am startled by someone half-unexpectedly. What I mean by that could for example be me acknowledging the possibility of a threat but getting suddenly ambushed regardless.

My point/view here is, (if I even have a point), that instinctive behavior like this does happen sometimes. But I would like to hear from others whether or not YOU have experienced something like this. Even if not, I'd like to hear your opinion on this if you have one. Would be nice to just spark up a conversation.

I'm just bored okay!?

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
DK why you're thinking about this at 2:30 AM is everything ok at home?

instinctive
adjective
  1. relating to or prompted by instinct; done without conscious thought.
    "an instinctive distaste for conflict"
    • (of a person) doing or being a specified thing apparently naturally or automatically.
Pulling a gun under point blank gunpoint is not a naturally instinctive thing to do. Doing nothing is or what your ordered to do is. That's all it was, idk why you'd make a post 6 hours later when you recieved a verbal warning for it.

An example of an instinctive thing to do is me shooting you at point blank after you tried to pull a gun or pulling your gun in passive after you originally heard shots.
Instinctively you just broke the rules rather than instinctively fearing for you life and since then annoyed by realising you were wrong you instinctively looked on the forums for attention where you instinctively made a post rather than when you should instinctively be sleeping.

Grave was trying to say instinct is what you'd naturally do which means not pull a gun and get yourself killed.

You were trying to say you pulled a gun without thinking from reflex of seeing a gun.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're right, I've done it before. Your instinct when seeing a gun in a game is to pull yours out and defend yourself. Your instinct isn't to follow orders and preserve roleplay, that requires thinking about the situation before acting.

People have to remember it's a game and nobody is ever going to "instinctively" preserve their life as their life is not actually at risk. It requires a certain way of thinking to roleplay realistically and some people do it better than others. If someone pulled a gun on you IRL every single person on this server would probably roll into a ball and cry, not one would try to fight it. But when it's a game that boils down to getting into gunfights and winning them is your objective, sometimes you are only thinking about that and initially pull the gun out.

The way you've said you then immediately crouch on the ground and surrender putting your gun away is exactly how I have experienced that in the past, initially reacting in a split second before taking a second to think and realising that I haven't roleplayed correctly. Half the challenge of roleplaying properly is fighting your natural instinct as a gamer (RISE UP) to ALT run away at 900 mph and asspull your AK when you get gunpointed. When you scroll through the warning list and see all the warnings for 3.4, most of them are from people who didn't think and just naturally reacted to the situation. Very rarely does someone break gunpoint because they have disregard for the rules, the majority of times they are just silly mistakes.

Also Dai is wrong.

Deleted member 4983

Because I'm a csgo skid I have to consiously think about not pulling out a gun lul

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
If someone tried to mug you at knife point for ur heroin and irn bru in edinburugh for the third time this week. You wouldnt pull your knife from your pocket, you'd preserve ur own life. Its a rp server where ur instinct would be to follow the rules.

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. It's a game so your instinct is not to act realistically but to react as you would when playing a game and shoot your mugger. Properly roleplaying and following the rules requires thought and a bit of experience with the server. It is definitely not a natural dynamic for your average player.

Reaction score
In a real life sense your natural instinct would be to comply and/or stall as much as you can.

But this is a video game, your instinct in video games is to kill anything that tries to make you lose the game.

Therefor, yes, It would be instinctive for most players to straight up pull a gun.

Reaction score
On numerous occasions have I managed to forget that gunpoint was a rule, and just pulled my gun anyway only to realize milliseconds later that I wasn't supposed to, so I awkwardly look down and yell as quickly as I can "Didn't mean to" and hope I don't get shot lmao.

Reaction score
Yeah, I suspected that I can't be the only one who does it. It's interesting to think about this in the light of rule 3.4, preserving your own life as it creates an artificial element in these specific situations in order to keep the RP consistent. But of course, it is better to have the rule there as if we didn't, the whole server would turn into a massive fuckfest.

Reaction score
That's the whole point of this. In real life, you don't pull out your gun/knife with the click of a single button, no, more effort goes into it. But it is different in-game, when indeed, that weapon is only a button click away. I think this really lowers the barrier for something like this and allows your muscle memory to kick in before you think about your actions in certain situations.

Reaction score
"That's the whole point of this. In real life, you don't pull out your gun/knife with the click of a single button, no, more effort goes into it. But it is different in-game, when indeed, that weapon is only a button click away. I think this really lowers the barrier for something like this and allows your muscle memory to kick in before you think about your actions in certain situations. "

I somehow missed what you wrote and commented that onto something else, but it applies perfectly here. Me, and apparently some others DO feel that this is something that could happen. And you missed the point of this whole thing big time, did you even read my OG post?? It is not about me doing something wrong as I addressed already, it's about talking of a rather interesting phenomenon.

And yes, based on my previous points above, if somehow not clear yet, I am claiming that I did pull out a gun out of pure reflex before thinking about it. What happened after that was me acting on it consciously but I don't know why you are making this about something it isn't. I don't know why you are salty at me. : )) The whole idea of this is to talk.

Daigestive

Professional Stripper
Reaction score
All it was is Grave saying instinct is what you'd naturally do in the situation IRL. When you were trying to say instinct was just your reaction to seeing the gun. Its just 2 different definitions of instinct. Nothing you'd need to shit post about for attention.

Reaction score
@Daigestive Again I'd like to remind you that the whole scope of this isn't to talk about what happened. But in order to make this more meaningful, could you elaborate on your point?

I don't know if this is what you're after, but we can talk about this from IRL perspective. People do still react in illogical ways when surprised. For instance, when some people are scared badly, fight-or-flight kicks in strongly and they might hit the person trying to spook them. Also, there are instances where people have acted on a drawn gun because of this very reason. Some more successful than others:
Of course this is a stretch, and I am not saying that in real life someone would even be able to draw a gun as a reflex, but this is where games and reality differ. In real life, you can train something like drawing a gun in high-stress situations, so your movement would be automatic in such a situation. But you would still need to make that decision to pull out the gun. But in a game, mainly because it's just so much faster, something like this could happen out of a reflex, not training. Your muscle memory activates because you were startled and you end up with a gun in your hands.