Issues

Reaction score
So after a yearly Xmas update my PC is broken. I have no idea what the issue is but basically my keyboard and mouse won't work on windows startup. It will work on the BIOS menu so it isnt an issue with the USB ports.
Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas

D3V

Reaction score
I have had that before, You need to use a normal keyboard and mouse as the drivers don't load. By normal I mean one that has no special drivers like Logitech, razer etc. something that you would most likely have used in school.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had that before, You need to use a normal keyboard and mouse as the drivers don't load. By normal I mean one that has no special drivers like Logitech, razer etc. something that you would most likely have used in school.
I tried this, it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion

Reaction score
Try all the USB ports on your computer, if you haven't already.

Reset your bios by taking out your CMos battery (look it up, it's really simple)

Try the peripherals on other computers, see if they work.

Try a different mouse and keyboard on your motherboard or i/o, if that doesn't work than your USB ports have probably kicked the bucket.

Reaction score
can you get to the point where you've logged in? if so, unplug and replug them while in login screen.

Roll back any driver updates if possible

Reaction score
can you get to the point where you've logged in? if so, unplug and replug them while in login screen.

Roll back any driver updates if possible
How does one log in without the use of a keyboard
How does one roll back all driver updates without login or the use of a mouse
[DOUBLEPOST=1514238592,1514238436][/DOUBLEPOST]
Try all the USB ports on your computer, if you haven't already.

Reset your bios by taking out your CMos battery (look it up, it's really simple)

Try the peripherals on other computers, see if they work.

Try a different mouse and keyboard on your motherboard or i/o, if that doesn't work than your USB ports have probably kicked the bucket.
The keyboard works on BIOS if you read the post meaning that it is not the keyboard nor the USB.
[DOUBLEPOST=1514238646][/DOUBLEPOST]to reply to Aaron, its the same in safe mode.

// on phone for all these replies

Reaction score
Since it seems that shit hit the fan after you did some upgrades to your machine my immediate assumption is that something went wrong when you were updating your motherboard drivers (specifically the I/O stuff)? If this is the case you'll likely want to find some way to get into your windows installation and re-install the necessary drivers. Here are some steps to hopefully get you back into windows:

Try this...

> Make sure all your peripherals are plugged into USB2 ports (not USB3)
> Enable legacy USB support in the BIOS

If that doesn't work...

> Wait for windows to boot into the login screen, unplug all USBs and plug in only the keyboard then wait 1-2 minutes and see if that does anything.

If it still doesn't work this is what I would do..

1. Try a different operating system to see if that works

> Slap ubuntu or some other easy small operating system on a live boot USB or DVD:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

> Boot into the live boot USB/DVD and see if the peripherals work...

> If they do -> advance to step 2
> If they don't -> who knows?

2. Try PS2 Peripherals (if you have any)

> In case you were born after 2004 that's these things
PS2%20connector_1.JPG

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-c...TF8&qid=1514420310&sr=8-1&keywords=Ps2+to+usb

> If this works ->
download and install your motherboard's drivers using the PS2 peripherals
> If this doesn't work -> go to step 3

3. Take out the CMOS battery and put it back in (not just for shits and giggles it could work)

> The CMOS battery is that watch battery lookin thing in your motherboard, follow these steps to take it out and put it back in again.

> https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

> If this doesn't work -> You're not in good shape fam.

__________________________________________________________________________________

If all else fails make an Action Request. :moron:

Good Luck, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or whatever.

Reaction score
I recently had this occur on my parent's desktop computer.

There are multiple reasons why this could have occurred. In order to fix this problem, it must be assumed that one of two things have occurred:

A driver or windows update was interrupted, causing windows files to become corrupt causing a loss in data, or a virus is affecting your operating system. (Obviously other things could be the problem, but I see these two as the most viable options.)

My personal recommendation would be to either attempt to access windows recovery from the BIOS menu (F8) and recover windows to the last restore point, or simply format the hard drive and re-install windows.

The most likely reason for this occurance is because of an interruption in a windows update, but you really cannot be sure as there is no way to use your keyboard or mouse.

If you happened to be tech savvy before, try attempting to RDC into your computer and remotely check your settings/drivers for the keyboard and mouse.