Microphone requirement for cops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
why did you even make this thread? the policy has already been made and it's 100% clearly written that you should fuck off if your mic doesn't work
and if some troglodyte infant doesn't have a mic, well, that's too bad then?

Reaction score
It's like sound, you should immediately disconnect from the server at the earliest possible time if your sounds stops working.

Reaction score
Communication really is the most important part of the PD, not TFU or RTU or any other division or factor its communication. Without communication, we all run around like headless chickens because we all have our own information to run on and 9/10 of the time it's not sufficient enough to stay alive/do our jobs. Just yesterday I was responding to a pursuit and the officer said the car was going from Business to Intersection. I set up my roadblock before the Subs Off-Ramp because I doubt he would go into the City. I then asked multiple times "Whats the vehicle's current 10-20?, What is the ID of the vehicle, What is the vehicle wanted for? etc. This is all very important info to transmit over the radio when being the lead car in a pursuit because without it, roadblocks don't work. In my case, it actually caused a pileup because I had my car there when it apparently wasn't needed (Did not know this at the time) and caused a fuckin car crash. @Jay had to pay 45k+ to repair his GTR (I offered to pay dw)

There are also cases such as raids. One of the supporting argument nowadays for the police being "OP" is that we have radios, fair point but most of the time WE DONT KNOW HOW TO FUCKING USE THEM!. We either have everyone talking at once or no one talking at all. A couple of days ago we raided Parker and @ShadowJoey was the only TFU on-duty (I have not seen many TFU come on lately might I add) and he tried his best to shut them the fuck up but they would not budge and not only did we lose the raid to being outmanned and outgunned but we also lost it to the shit communication as we did not know where anyone was, what they looked like/driving etc. So you could legit shoot and kill an officer, run away from me with your gun on your back and I would not shoot at you because I have no idea you just killed a cop.

tl:dr
  • Communication is one if not the most important factor as a cop or in any situation
  • Due to bad communication, I legit caused a pileup while waiting to spike a car at a roadblock and @Jay had to pay 45k+ to repair (I offered to pay)
  • It's the way how fast cars evade us because not only do they get away quickly, some officers don't know basic colors or brands. Picture this:
ferrari-cars-coupe-hybrid_37005295.jpg
and the officer tells us: "in pursuit of an orange Lamborghini"
  • And now we are looking for a car that does not exist.
  • It also gets us killed in raids aside from being outmanned and outgunned in the bigger ones. Such as when @ShadowJoey was the only TFU and tried to shut everyone the fuck up but failed and most likely died from it. I later died from a flanker with an AS50 because I did not know he was there.
There are soo many situations where I and others have died from bad communication so I recommend a petition, Nevermind if you don't have a mic. If you DONT KNOW HOW TO USE ONE you should not be a cop.

Reaction score
Me and @Patch were the only two inside parker during that raid. But you were flanked, which could've been easily fended off had the police communicated better. You probably wouldn't have survived the raid into parker however, as it has many chokepoints.

Reaction score
Well, being as I'm part of Professional Standards who are in charge of the Policy Board that are responsible for making amendments and changes to the General Policies, I'm going to provide some clarity on this.

For those who don't know what the Microphone Usage policy outlines, I will place it below:
2.1 Possessing and using a microphone of good quality is a requirement on entry to the police force.
2.2 If your microphone is not working, or you are not in a position to use it, then you must go off duty at your earliest convenience but finish any active investigations/interactions using text-based dialogue.
2.3 There are occasions where it is justified to use text-based dialogue as opposed to microphone usage for as long as necessary, including but not limited to: text-based radio; in a noisy environment, and/or if someone speaking to them is using text-chat.
2.4 Supervisors reserve the right to demote officers if they do not have a microphone, and cannot justify using their microphone.
As everybody already knows, a microphone is a requirement in order to become an officer and there are good reasons behind this, such as those @CodezBlack as highlighted.
Now @XPGamingXPDK in regards to what you say here:
if your mic broke, your unavailable to use it right now or if it's nothing really important like a traffic stop, a microphone isn't much a requirement.
This is not correct. As 2.2 of the Microphone Usage policy outlines, if your microphone is not working or is not of good quality, you must go off-duty as soon as possible but you are allowed to finish the situation you are currently involved in via text-chat prior to this. Additionally, as stated in 2.3, while there are scenarios where it justified to use text-based chat such as in a noisy environment, etc. you really shouldn't be needing to use text-chat at all where your microphone can to the exact same job but quicker, so there comes the question: why bother using text-based chat in an incident such as a traffic stop when it is really not needed.

I'd like to point out as well that Supervisors can demote you in-game and reprimand you for not having your microphone or cannot justify using it as stated in 2.4.

If you disagree with this, then I'd recommend making a suggestion thread on PLPD.Online's forums or creating a Helpdesk ticket direct to the Policy Board to change the policy but personally, I feel the policy is fine in its current state and doesn't need changing anytime soon.

With that said, I will be closing this thread. Thank you for your discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.