Police Suggestion New Player's becoming cops

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: New Player's becoming cops
Suggestion Description: Do not allow New Players ability to become cops... They should first learn how the server works before they get this much power.

Why should this be added?:
- Stops troll cops

What negatives could this have?:
- less cops

Reaction score
The PSD along with commands in PD are probably well informed about the situation with sweatercops. In IA we recieve massive amounts of complaints on new player as well...

I dont think this is the way to go though, and Im sure that someone is already working on a solution.

Maybe make the test harder?
Maybe give them a higher hour requirement?

I dont know, but preventing someone from being a cop for 72 hrs, when people sometimes play on the server just to be cops is a bit excessive in my opinion.

Reaction score

This is something that is being worked on, with new questions that revolve around frequent issues and mistakes being made by newer players, this will hopefully lower the amount of incidents

Reaction score
While I understand where you're coming from, it is actually quite rare that someone joins the server with the sole intent to go on duty as a police officer and troll. I have been moderating the server for 7 months and only ~10 times have I had a situation where a police officer was RDMing, minging, etc. Internal Affairs deals with a lot of policy violations from new player cops. Majority of the time, these players want to play properly but make some mistakes. There are absolutely some bad apples and I'm not here to deny that, I'm just saying that this is not the appropriate solution to the issue.

Reaction score
In my experience, I rarely see a new player cop who is outright malicious, and it's fairly easy to deal with those sorry few. To lock a good part of the server's appeal away from people who are still new, and haven't yet decided if they're going to stick around, is a surefire way to make sure they definitely don't stick around. Honestly the worst cops are the ones who do everything perfectly fine, but are just massive dicks.

Reaction score
The issue is an issue but the answer is not simply do not let new players be cops as new player tag is a fairly long thing!

Great to see they are working on making the test harder.

I would also challenge back to say, not enough experienced cops are actively challenging/reporting poor behaviour of sweater cops. We need to be much more critical ourselves before we expect the server to fix it for us.

Reaction score
I do think supervisors changing their attitude from judgemental and refusing to patrol with them to being considerate and trying to teach may effect the current climate of NP Cops

Reaction score
The issue is an issue but the answer is not simply do not let new players be cops as new player tag is a fairly long thing!

Great to see they are working on making the test harder.

I would also challenge back to say, not enough experienced cops are actively challenging/reporting poor behaviour of sweater cops. We need to be much more critical ourselves before we expect the server to fix it for us.

And yes, reporting NP cops and/or even holding them accountavle in-game will have a massive impact i believe.

More supervised patrols maybe too.

Though if a hour amount were to be placed i think 2-3 hours is more then enough.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The PSD along with commands in PD are probably well informed about the situation with sweatercops. In IA we recieve massive amounts of complaints on new player as well...

I dont think this is the way to go though, and Im sure that someone is already working on a solution.

Maybe give them a higher hour requirement?

I dont know, but preventing someone from being a cop for 72 hrs, when people sometimes play on the server just to be cops is a bit excessive in my opinion.
they literally got the answers from someone, whats stopping them from getting the answers to this harder quiz again?

Reaction score
Honestly the worst cops are the ones who do everything perfectly fine, but are just massive dicks.
You could've just named me and everyone would've understood what you meant lol

Anyways i disagree with this. I completely understand where you are coming from but I've seen a lot more good new player cops than bad ones. I think the cons outweigh the pros

Reaction score
From what I'm observing most of new player cops is trying to do well, but commit some rookie mistakes/do something weird from time to time. It's not that common to see new cops intentionally minging, and if they do then usually they quickly end up dealt with either by supervisor or staff.

Cop gameplay is an important part of the gamemode, for me and many others it's even the most attractive part of perp. Forcing someone to spend 72h on the server before they can try it out themselves sounds very discouraging, and may cause a lot of people quit the server before they even get an opportunity to play as police officer.

While I completly disagree with the idea of blocking new players from playing PD, I could see some smaller time requirement working well, perhaps 2 or 3 hours as mentioned by Fielding.

Reaction score
Doubling down with what @Hodgparjor said - they want to do well, but it's just impossible. Our rules system is way to complex to allow someone with only a few hours to be a decent cop. Plus, with how bureaucratic it is, NP officers don't stand a chance.

If we wanna see how decent cops, I think the test needs to be roughly 16 questions, at least a few written questions. That way, no cop is just gonna waste half an hour ingame to give answers, and even if they did - those written questions are gonna be some form of barrier, requiring minimal human oversight.

There needs to be (video) content placed before the NP takes the entrance exam, if they wanna get the power to a free gun and arrest powers, they should at least watch 15mins of intro videos (maybe 3 of 5min) to explain basic concepts.

Content/test based on: Ranks/Structure, UoF, law knowledge, disciplinary, radio etiquette, and the police computer.

That's all it needs.

I literally tried this back in 2020. please don't go back, it's cringe/our of date. I've offered a couple times recently to redo them, along with create new ones on the above topics. I sent over a rough demo of traffic stops that meet departmental/RTU standard ( thanks @Auston ). I have some left over material to help this exact demographic. Maybe someone would be interested in reopening the Helpdesk ticket.

Reaction score
This is something that is being worked on, with new questions that revolve around frequent issues and mistakes being made by newer players, this will hopefully lower the amount of incidents
I'll believe this when it's done.
And yes, reporting NP cops and/or even holding them accountavle in-game will have a massive impact i believe.

More supervised patrols maybe too.

Though if a hour amount were to be placed i think 2-3 hours is more then enough.
Two or three hours are fair. Supervised Patrols or Let's Chats are a much better solution then written warnings. Especially for New Players (but will require manpower following up...Patrol Trainers).

they literally got the answers from someone, whats stopping them from getting the answers to this harder quiz again?
Rotating test questions. Every 4 months or so, swap 1/2 or more of the questions for new, pre-written ones. There will be an announcement one week prior that the test will be shut down at some points for renewal.