Police Gettingo Tested Before Recruited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey,

One thing that i have started to notice as more large gangs rob the bank and take hostages is that there is a lot more FailRP cops who just charge into the hostage situation guns a' blazing with no consent for the hostages lives.

I think I have an idea to try and lower the amount of FailRP cops out there. The idea is that when you talk to the police officer in the station to recruit for the first time you will be given a short multiple choice test. If you have ever played any clockwork HL2RP server you will have a basic idea of what i'm talking about.

The test will give you questions that will have example of situations that cops will commonly encounter like: "You suspect someone of having drugs inside there home, what should you do?"

A: Request a warrant from the lieutenant.
B: Wait until you see the owner of the house and then arrest him?
C: Get the SWAT to use C2 on the door for you?

There would be other question of course about FearRP, Hostage situations and other things. If you got any of the questions wrong the police officer would turn you away and you will not be able to recruit for another 24 hours. If you get them all right you are added to the force.

I think this would easily reduce the amount of Fail cops and help improve Police RP.

However I could see this being quite hard to code so i understand if you can't do it.

P.S: Thought i'd just through this in here: I was talking about this in OOC and some guys thought it would be good to have application on forums before you get to become police so i'd like some opinions on that as well please.

Thanks.

Reaction score
We were going to add a test at one point, but never made it in. However there is just as much fail on the robbers/hostages part to be honest, if not more so. Either robbers refuse to accept any negotiation or clearly stall to do so that way they'll be paid before any shots ever get fired. And then you have cases of robbers using their own org members as hostages, people that take a friend hostage then split the money with later, people volunteering to be a hostage, using medic as a hostage to constantly heal and revive members as they die/get shot, hostages that stand in the line of fire if shots start happening instead of getting out of the way, hostages that move around as if it's no big deal... etc, I find while watching a bank robbery that more often it is the robbers/hostages that end up failRPing more than the police. So in some ways I am tempted to make heavy restrictions on how a hostage situation can come about/what is allowed. Obviously some of the things I mentioned previously an admin will already do something about if noticed.

Yes there are some fail cops and a test might not be a bad idea, but at the same time when anyone joins the server for the first time you agree to abide by the rules, so robbers/hostages need to be held accountable for their failing as well. Having a specific whitelist for who can be police is not a good idea, as it would decrease how many officers there might be at any given time, and there can't always be an admin present or someone checking forums, so the city would go without police quite often since no one's around to accept them, and even with it, the same failing might happen we can simply blacklist the bad ones. Also having the test make you not be able to for 24 hours is a bit too extreme, maybe 1 hour, as that can be quite a long time really.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs;n4697 said:
We were going to add a test at one point, but never made it in. However there is just as much fail on the robbers/hostages part to be honest, if not more so. Either robbers refuse to accept any negotiation or clearly stall to do so that way they'll be paid before any shots ever get fired. And then you have cases of robbers using their own org members as hostages, people that take a friend hostage then split the money with later, people volunteering to be a hostage, using medic as a hostage to constantly heal and revive members as they die/get shot, hostages that stand in the line of fire if shots start happening instead of getting out of the way, hostages that move around as if it's no big deal... etc, I find while watching a bank robbery that more often it is the robbers/hostages that end up failRPing more than the police. So in some ways I am tempted to make heavy restrictions on how a hostage situation can come about/what is allowed. Obviously some of the things I mentioned previously an admin will already do something about if noticed.

Yes there are some fail cops and a test might not be a bad idea, but at the same time when anyone joins the server for the first time you agree to abide by the rules, so robbers/hostages need to be held accountable for their failing as well. Having a specific whitelist for who can be police is not a good idea, as it would decrease how many officers there might be at any given time, and there can't always be an admin present or someone checking forums, so the city would go without police quite often since no one's around to accept them, and even with it, the same failing might happen we can simply blacklist the bad ones. Also having the test make you not be able to for 24 hours is a bit too extreme, maybe 1 hour, as that can be quite a long time really.
Thanks for your comment I completely agree that it is impossible for police to do a good negotiation at the bank when hostages are involved. As all the robbers care about is the money so they can just sit around watching youtube vids until it's over and then they can gleefully skip outside and get arrested. I really think the warrant shouldn't go away while your still in the bank and you shouldn't be able to take people who are in your org or a friends hostage. Sometimes I think the server is really unbalanced against police and I understand charging in on bank robberys. It's alright when there's only one robber and you have a SWAT sniper but if there's 3. Well good luck.

Bow

Reaction score
Let's say if the coders made the idea come to life :
1- won't people just cheat as always like asking your friends what are the answers for the test.
2- People might even get the right answers by random and memorize it .
3-they even can keep trying every time till they get the right answers.

To avoid that I have this simple ideas :
So many questions should be made.
One question you get to answer every time you try to join the force .

And you guys should think that the SWAT and the lieutenant need to get a test too.

Or other than that we can have a tutorial say how to deal with criminals and bank robbery that would be a lot helpful

Reaction score
Just as Stephen said, the way the bank robbing works right now is just not working properly. As many know I often play police, and its a real pain in the behind when you get the call about hostages at the bank / bank robbery. Because can you RP it out before the robbers get the money? Nope. People ALWAYS stall for time, and when the 10mins are up they don't care if they are caught.

A simple change would fix this. Making so the robbers have to leave the city in order to get the money or start the timer.

As for police training, I don't think any training would help. The Lieutenant just needs to be aware of the quality of his coppers, tell them what they are doing wrong and / or demote that cop who is failing.

Reaction score
I was also thinking about the implementation of a test for when someone signs-up for a job; to that end, I have been working-on a Police Handbook which could become the official/proper way to handle any and every situation that could potentially arise; recruitment questions could be derived from this handbook as it would provide a lot of potential questions.

The order that questions and answers are displayed would need to be randomised.

Status
Not open for further replies.