Punishments IC from the PD

Reaction score
I just want to get 1 thing clear, because recently it has really started to piss me off.

Right I just want to know,do laws interlink with each other so that you can do 1 thing wrong, however get punished for 2 separate laws. Let's take one of the easiest to explain examples;

Illegal parking and Road markings
If I park on a double yellow line, can I get a ticket for both of these offences, because yes I am breaking illegal parking, however I am also not following the road markings/signs indicating I can't park there. Personally I believe that in a case like that I've only broken Illegal parking, as the road markings is kind of included inside of the parking law, however other officers think otherwise and giving my ass 2k tickets when the max is 1k for illegal parking.

If you need a bigger description or another example of my overall question feel free to let me know.

Other than that let the posting begin!

EDIT
Maybe from this we could add a law or something stating 'an individual can only be punished for 1 law per offence'? I don't know how to put it without others going all brain dead on my ass and saying they can rob the bank and shoot 10 officers and only be punished for armed robbery

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Jeffer Cake, if you're parking illegally, they should only be ticketing you for illegal parking, it's a bit iffy to throw in road markings & signage.

Reaction score
I think you want to go for another example, because the laws you stated do not "overlay". 12.5 states that you must "drive in accordance with road markings and signage."

At the moment that you are parked, you are not driving, and therefore can not be given a ticket for both illegal parking and driving your car at the same time.

As @Jordan stated, it's very iffy and I would definitely call a supervisor to the scene would it occur to myself.

Reaction score
If you read 12.14 it doesn't say anywhere about the no parking sign so it doesn't count for 12.5. It would be just 12.4, parking.

Reaction score
Another example could be;
Headlights and Reckless Driving or Speeding and Reckless Driving;
Officers could see as not using your headlights as not driving with due care and attention. Therefore give you a max ticket for both offences (I've had this before). But technically in my opinion I could be speeding yes, however I could be an amazing driver while speeding and therefore be paying attention to the road and not driving recklessly.

Reaction score
Another example could be;
Headlights and Reckless Driving or Speeding and Reckless Driving;
Officers could see as not using your headlights as not driving with due care and attention. Therefore give you a max ticket for both offences (I've had this before). But technically in my opinion I could be speeding yes, however I could be an amazing driver while speeding and therefore be paying attention to the road and not driving recklessly.

This is now leading to just overlooking the law and trying to bend them to the persons favor. Speeding is when you go above the posted speed limit, reckless driving is when you drive disregarding the safety of persons and/or property, Driving without headlights... is when you drive without headlights at night or in adverse weather
conditions.

I could be speeding yes, however I could be an amazing driver while speeding and therefore be paying attention to the road and not driving recklessly.

Absolutely, you'd have to argue this to the officer and see how that goes. However if the Officer felt you were disregarding safety of persons and/or property, then they can go ahead with it.

Officers could see as not using your headlights as not driving with due care and attention.

Quite possibly yes, however driving w/o due care & attn is to cover where the driver is careless or inconsiderate with their driving, like being distracted; like being on your cell phone or not paying attention.

Obviously speeding and recklessly driving are two different things, so you could be charged for both if you're really unlucky.

Reaction score
This is now leading to just overlooking the law and trying to bend them to the persons favor. Speeding is when you go above the posted speed limit, reckless driving is when you drive disregarding the safety of persons and/or property, Driving without headlights... is when you drive without headlights at night or in adverse weather
conditions.

Absolutely, you'd have to argue this to the officer and see how that goes. However if the Officer felt you were disregarding safety of persons and/or property, then they can go ahead with it.

Obviously speeding and recklessly driving are two different things, so you could be charged for both if you're really unlucky.

Or even laws like Threat of physical harm and Physical assault;
Like if I was to say to someone, I'm going to knock you out, then 2 minutes later started punching them, do I get charged for both offences or just one?

Reaction score
Or even laws like Threat of physical harm and Physical assault;
Like if I was to say to someone, I'm going to knock you out, then 2 minutes later started punching them, do I get charged for both offences or just one?

On paper, yes you've committed both offences, you've threatened physical harm and physically harmed someone. Practically it's best for the officer to go with the Physical Assault charge as they've followed through with the threat. It's up to the officers discretion, as long as it's not ridiculous.

All in all, you should be charged with the offence that you have committed, they shouldn't be overlooking laws and adding more on.

Last edited: