Server Suggestion Radio DJ Job that streams youtube videos in audio format.

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Radio DJ Job that streams youtube videos in audio format.
Suggestion Description: The idea here is to utilise a youtube function to bring in a functioning radio station DJ Job to PERP, where users join the job, Name their station, and using youtube links, stream the audio from those youtube videos into in game radios.

We have an issue where players want to restart Paralake FM but every time its happened its led to issues with commitment, user interest and even legal issues.

Older version of the mod that I used on another server eons ago, This is the general idea inspiration:

The idea is, 4 to 6 spots on the stations menu will be added for these player run radio's. Depending on how many radios belonging to different players are on your station and the length of the song played and how long it has been played for, Players can earn between $20-$300 per song played as well as a regular paycheck of $120 a minute. On top of this players can pay radio DJ's to play their custom made youtube videos for adverts for their businesses or even simply pay for song requests.

Prerequisite for being paid is the Audio must be over 1 minute long.

Moderation for this job could be done by SCAM Logs, adding a new category under the logs called "Radio DJ" Showing what links have been queued. A rule would likely need to be added under section 4 for the job but thats no big deal.

Below I will demonstrate a terrible drawing of a general UI Features menu I have conceived in 20 minutes. Note that the layout is awful, But I spaced everything out to demonstrate what each function is for better. This is not how the thing should look at all and is just a diagram of the functions that should be available to radio DJ's.

RadioUI.png

The red numbers are for explanation purposes which I shall elaborate upon below.
1: Now playing menu. This menu shows the song you are currently playing. Right clicking this box should open a drop down menu similar to the one on the dispatch map. The options present should be:
Skip: Skips the song currently queued.
Restart: restarts the song.
Pause / Resume: Pauses or resumes the song.

2: Queue. This will show other links waiting to be streamed. Right clicking on each song should come up with a drop down menu containing the following options:
- Move up: Moves it up a space in the queue
- Move down: Moves it down a space in the queue.
- Remove: removes it from the queue entirely.
- Copy: Duplicates it in the queue.

The queue should be able to hold up to 10 links.

3: URL. This will be where songs (Or player adverts) are put into the queue. Restrictions on the allowed audio should be:
- No video longer than 15 minutes.
- Public only.

4: Information box:
This will tell you all the listed information on the diagram.

5: Control panel:
Radio DJ's should have access to the control panels. This panel should have the following functions:
- Toggle microphone transmission (With a notification telling you if its on or not). This will broadcast your voice when you speak with X Whilst sat in the chair. Good for telling news and generally just talking.
- Pause / resume song: Quickly pauses or continues the song upon toggled on or off.
- Publish text broadcast: Opens a radio station broadcast chat that costs $100 per broadcast, allowing you to advertise your station or other businesses if the business owner pays you to do so!
- Check City broadcasts: Opens a dispatch UI style chat box, instead of showing /gov, It shows /pbc, /bc, Fireman and medic broadcasts, and other announcements of that nature.
- Change station name: Changes station name. Your station name should save whether you are on the job or not.
- AFK Mode: Must be by rules toggled if you afk on the radio DJ Job. Once your queue expires, or you haven't moved in 15 minutes, it will kick you from the DJ Job.
- See city info: Notifies you of Tax policies, city budget, Mayor Policies and recent changes. Good for news.
- Wipe playlist: Empties your playlist after a verify message pops up.

Why should this be added?:
- A far more legal way than operating real stations for perp.
- More flexible than operating a real station for perp.
- More accessible than operating a real station for perp.
- Anyone can figure it out.
- Possibility for in character radio adverts being created for airing from stations which users may use to their advantage and encourages both creativity and a more immersive environment by allowing radio stations to advertise stuff thats really in the game.
- Players would definitely take an interest in this and we may have radio DJ mains.

What negatives could this have?:
- Potential for misuse (Womp womp we can moderate it)
- Idk performance or something I guess maybe (probably not)

What problem would this suggestion solve?: Another job, another gameplay style for people beyond PVP and crafting, Another gameplay mechanic making the server more featureful, Another way of making income, Another way of establishing a character in Paralake, List goes on infinitely.

Reaction score
Huge +1! Would be so nice to get the DJ broadcasting news and incidents that happen in real-time on the server and stuff.

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Radio DJ Job that streams youtube videos in audio format.
Suggestion Description: The idea here is to utilise a youtube function to bring in a functioning radio station DJ Job to PERP, where users join the job, Name their station, and using youtube links, stream the audio from those youtube videos into in game radios.

We have an issue where players want to restart Paralake FM but every time its happened its led to issues with commitment, user interest and even legal issues.

Older version of the mod that I used on another server eons ago, This is the general idea inspiration:

The idea is, 4 to 6 spots on the stations menu will be added for these player run radio's. Depending on how many radios belonging to different players are on your station and the length of the song played and how long it has been played for, Players can earn between $20-$300 per song played as well as a regular paycheck of $120 a minute. On top of this players can pay radio DJ's to play their custom made youtube videos for adverts for their businesses or even simply pay for song requests.

Prerequisite for being paid is the Audio must be over 1 minute long.

Moderation for this job could be done by SCAM Logs, adding a new category under the logs called "Radio DJ" Showing what links have been queued. A rule would likely need to be added under section 4 for the job but thats no big deal.

Below I will demonstrate a terrible drawing of a general UI Features menu I have conceived in 20 minutes. Note that the layout is awful, But I spaced everything out to demonstrate what each function is for better. This is not how the thing should look at all and is just a diagram of the functions that should be available to radio DJ's.

View attachment 21174

The red numbers are for explanation purposes which I shall elaborate upon below.
1: Now playing menu. This menu shows the song you are currently playing. Right clicking this box should open a drop down menu similar to the one on the dispatch map. The options present should be:
Skip: Skips the song currently queued.
Restart: restarts the song.
Pause / Resume: Pauses or resumes the song.

2: Queue. This will show other links waiting to be streamed. Right clicking on each song should come up with a drop down menu containing the following options:
- Move up: Moves it up a space in the queue
- Move down: Moves it down a space in the queue.
- Remove: removes it from the queue entirely.
- Copy: Duplicates it in the queue.

The queue should be able to hold up to 10 links.

3: URL. This will be where songs (Or player adverts) are put into the queue. Restrictions on the allowed audio should be:
- No video longer than 15 minutes.
- Public only.

4: Information box:
This will tell you all the listed information on the diagram.

5: Control panel:
Radio DJ's should have access to the control panels. This panel should have the following functions:
- Toggle microphone transmission (With a notification telling you if its on or not). This will broadcast your voice when you speak with X Whilst sat in the chair. Good for telling news and generally just talking.
- Pause / resume song: Quickly pauses or continues the song upon toggled on or off.
- Publish text broadcast: Opens a radio station broadcast chat that costs $100 per broadcast, allowing you to advertise your station or other businesses if the business owner pays you to do so!
- Check City broadcasts: Opens a dispatch UI style chat box, instead of showing /gov, It shows /pbc, /bc, Fireman and medic broadcasts, and other announcements of that nature.
- Change station name: Changes station name. Your station name should save whether you are on the job or not.
- AFK Mode: Must be by rules toggled if you afk on the radio DJ Job. Once your queue expires, or you haven't moved in 15 minutes, it will kick you from the DJ Job.
- See city info: Notifies you of Tax policies, city budget, Mayor Policies and recent changes. Good for news.
- Wipe playlist: Empties your playlist after a verify message pops up.

Why should this be added?:
- A far more legal way than operating real stations for perp.
- More flexible than operating a real station for perp.
- More accessible than operating a real station for perp.
- Anyone can figure it out.
- Possibility for in character radio adverts being created for airing from stations which users may use to their advantage and encourages both creativity and a more immersive environment by allowing radio stations to advertise stuff thats really in the game.
- Players would definitely take an interest in this and we may have radio DJ mains.

What negatives could this have?:
- Potential for misuse (Womp womp we can moderate it)
- Idk performance or something I guess maybe (probably not)

What problem would this suggestion solve?: Another job, another gameplay style for people beyond PVP and crafting, Another gameplay mechanic making the server more featureful, Another way of making income, Another way of establishing a character in Paralake, List goes on infinitely.
+1 It is interesting. ( Can you do my school essays please )

Reaction score
This is a nice idea but unlike taxi or courier where you're kept busy, I feel like playing this job you'd just sort of be sat around not doing a lot. I see the idea but I think a more collaborative, inclusive and accessible Paralake FM spinoff is a better solution.

Reaction score
This is a nice idea but unlike taxi or courier where you're kept busy, I feel like playing this job you'd just sort of be sat around not doing a lot. I see the idea but I think a more collaborative, inclusive and accessible Paralake FM spinoff is a better solution.
This is better because it’s a permanent solution, Paralake FM will just die out like everything else

Reaction score
This is better because it’s a permanent solution, Paralake FM will just die out like everything else
If PLFM was pushed along/endorsed by Devs then surely it could be made more permanent like tinycalc or plc? I don't think introducing a pretty nothing job is worth it when a better outcome can be achieved by a website (if it is collaborative, inclusive and accessible like said)

Reaction score
Add the possibility to speak to listeners so that you can talk about popping topics or advertise businesses inbetween songs or that people can turn it into a popcast at will etc

This would also counter the ‘not doing much part’

Reaction score
Cautious +1. It’s an interesting idea, and I’d certainly like it, but there’s going to be some hurdles. I’d check on the legal side of things so we don’t anger any music corpos. Even amateur radio stations like the one I’m in at my Uni are moving away from streaming sites like Spotify or Youtube in the near future given it’s not legal to FCC standards or something.

Other music bots on discord have also been taken down in the pst because of copyright concerns.

If the devs can find workaround for these issues, then I don’t see any problems adding this into PERPheads.

Reaction score
For the "Not doing much" thing, this is the reason I balanced out the pay to be significantly lower than other jobs.

As for the "Real radio station would be better" Debacle, Part of my level 2 music performance qualification involved qualifying in some relevant music technology courses too, one of those being Radio and royalties laws. This whole kerfuffle of having Licenses to play music, ensuring you have the relevant royalties licenses to broadcast the music you broadcast on an online radio station, and all that other malarkey is absolutely above that of the community. Real stations, even online ones, Cost time and money to make and maintain, with 0 tolerance fining and in many cases running a radio station and performing an illegitimate action could lead to the device you were using to run the station on (in most cases someones expensive gaming PC) Being seized.

This, on the other hand, doesn't put us in any legal risk beyond what the in-game TV does.

Furthermore, The licenses to broadcast music are also bought depending on application with no real fixed price, and fluctuate greatly on a bunch of factors.

Cautious +1. It’s an interesting idea, and I’d certainly like it, but there’s going to be some hurdles. I’d check on the legal side of things so we don’t anger any music corpos. Even amateur radio stations like the one I’m in at my Uni are moving away from streaming sites like Spotify or Youtube in the near future given it’s not legal to FCC standards or something.

Other music bots on discord have also been taken down in the pst because of copyright concerns.

If the devs can find workaround for these issues, then I don’t see any problems adding this into PERPheads.
Again this wouldn't be a problem, since we are simply streaming youtube links in-game only (which we do with TV's) and the radio stations exists only inside of our server, There wouldn't be any more music laws breached that the In game TV already has.

Reaction score
Just want to mention that, seperately from this suggestion, we are implementing user YouTube suggestions to prevent commitment issues and the legal side of this has been handled.

Technically the difficult part of this suggestion is handling playback. You'd be acting against the YouTube Terms of Service as well as legal trouble if you are doing this serverside. Running this client side will result in advertisement issues, or availability issues.

If PLFM was pushed along/endorsed by Devs then surely it could be made more permanent like tinycalc or plc? I don't think introducing a pretty nothing job is worth it when a better outcome can be achieved by a website (if it is collaborative, inclusive and accessible like said)
This is the goal :)