Regarding 1.2 (Discrimination)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I understand that things should not becoming out of proportion, PERP is a server where you murder and sell drugs and I'm sure people come on the server for that and not to shout the N word at people? This is the point I'm trying to make out, there needs to be a definitive line on what's going to be classed and punishae and what isn't.

rewevie

Communication Banned
Reaction score
@LukeJLFC So you're saying that theorically a black person can call someone else a hard R without any repercussions?

Reaction score
Ok im not gonna name any names but the fact that some staff and players are saying they should be able to say racial slurs etcra because ''ItS iN cHaRaCtEr'' is fucking appalling and you should be ashamed of your selves racism shouldn't be allowed even in character because people still use it to insult people for example ages ago someone was calling me a fucking retard or just be genrally toxic and clearly that wasnt mean IC so stop using ''ItS iN cHaRaCtEr'' as a excuse to be racist.

and that was my TED talk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
@LukeJLFC If you'd read my other response where I mention how im not even that fussed about the N word, im more fussed about being careful that anything I say can fall into a catagory of discrimination then you'll find it in yourself to maybe comprehend that I'm trying to have a discussion about what should and shouldnt be allowed and my own opinions on it. Not once have I said that people who do get offended should just get over it and not once have I said that I think I have some kind of right to say the N word. I think you jumping to conclusions about me and actually trying to make it seem like im begging to be allowed to call people the N word again is ridiculous and you cant simply read my responses without twisting them to make me fit your own ideas of what im like.

I'll say it again as you clearly didnt read it properly the first time, I am less worried about the racism part, I am more fussed about the rest, going back to your point about Benji, I am quite close with benji and he dishes out some of the best formulated insults I've heard sometimes and yes it might be upsetting to hear and he may find somethings offensive sometimes but again, these things are dealt with by staff when the issues are raised to us. I am also concerned about what insults can actually be used as it is no secret that a game which involves criminals with guns and gangs comes with arguments and beef, and therefore there are now limits set on this and when going back to the list of discriminatory topics which @Tyla Jai posted it leaves very little room for insults and arguments aside from "fuck you" "no, fuck you". I understand the issue with racist and homophobic slurs and even to an extent the use of the word retard or using the word autist as an insult, however where is the line drawn as someone will always find something to pick up on in this day and age, for example even calling someone fat can be considered discriminatory and this is what my whole argument is about.

My original post was posted as a joke but since some interesting, rather confrontational responses have been given so I thought i'd entertain them and give my opinion which clearly is "wrong" even though the majority of this server have been playing this way for years with no issue and most people can understand the concept of it being a game and it really not being that deep. In no way do I not sympathize with those who are offended by the terms people use and even I use, but I do have the understanding that it is the internet and personally I do not get offended about what some nobody on the other side of the world is saying to me and it will happen anywhere you go on the internet, not just here.

Reaction score
As I said on my last response, I understand that racism and homophobia may be an issue for some and it should definitely be dealt with, however I dont think banning the use of ANY term which could be considered discriminatory is the way to go. As you said about saying "fuck you N****" or "are you re******" is generally fine but sitting and personally attacking someone about their specific culture or sexual orientation is clearly a bit too far, in my first few posts I admit I was being a bit ignorant as I hadnt thought of the direct targetting and flurry of insults that some people might face however the general use of discriminatory words such as the N word or fa**** etc should be fine as at the end of the day it is the internet and you can never take what people say seriously.

Reaction score
@LukeJLFC for context I do not want the word “retard” banned, as despite being autistic myself, I take no offence to untargeted use of the word, and in fact, the word, even targeted, has lost most meaning to me due to it being a gmod buzzword. I was called “retarded” and “autist” a lot by a certain group of people who knew I was autistic irl and carried on saying it was “in character”. My point was what contributes as a discriminatory term is solely to discretion of the individual because if we look up the terms for any insulting phrase it would typically link back to some sort of ableism.

If anyone genuinely believes however that use of the N word won’t be enforced in the event of an African oriented player saying it, or believe there will be an obvious sense of leniency about it, you‘re terribly mistaken because I’m not enforcing “Race rules” that only apply to certain races as I believe everyone will be treated equally here.

You’re really trying to paint Dom out here to be some mega evil racist underground neonazi ring leader here when he’s just stating the clear and obvious, that until now, this wasn’t even considered to be an issue by the majority of the player base. This isn’t justifications for hate crimes, All Dom is doing is stating the obvious. 3 days ago, if you asked the average joe about racism on PERP, they most likely wouldn’t have commented much on the matter.

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting this should be implemented, I am stating a fact that discrimination covers all of these topics already so all of these will be enforced unless changed by senior admins.

Reaction score
Updated what rule 1.2 is displayed as to properly reflect the needs of the rule in the community:

Any form of discrimination is not tolerated in an out-of-character context. Racism and homophobia are not tolerated in-character. Other forms of discrimination, whereas discouraged, are allowed in-character and are subject to the discretion of the players involved.

If a player is uncomfortable with the use of discriminatory language, they may request it to stop in LOOC chat or a report. All players involved must respect this.

Additionally, players may not knowingly use details of another player’s personal life or identity to discriminate against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.