Server Suggestion Reintroduce weather

Reaction score
Description of the idea: Reintroduce the weather effects that we once had a few years ago on the server. The weather effects could reintroduce rain and snow that I believe is already in the code. It would also be cool if we could have a thunderstorm weather effect as well. Rain should be the most common type after the current sunny weather, followed by thunder and then snow. This would also make the weather app more interesting with different variations of weather being displayed.

Why should this be added? (pros):
  • Improved realism, so it's not always just sunny every day
  • Allows for more interesting roleplay scenarios
  • Changes things up a bit and gives the map a different feeling

What negatives could this have? (cons):
  • Potential performance impact (Although, with the improvements made by the dev team to the map and game mode, it would hopefully be a lot better now)

*Images Video:

Watch for a few seconds on the PERPHeads Trailer, which shows off the rain and snow.

I know @Benj made a similar suggestion recently, however his was for adverse weather and mainly natural disasters, available here and mine is just about mainly standard weather (apart from thunderstorms).

Reaction score
If it’s possible to remove rain/snow effects so it doesn’t annoy some people then I’m down for this

Reaction score
If it’s possible to remove rain/snow effects so it doesn’t annoy some people then I’m down for this
I completely disagree that the effect should be toggleable as literally everyone would just toggle it off. Weathers supposed to be annoying.

Reaction score
I completely disagree that the effect should be toggleable as literally everyone would just toggle it off. Weathers supposed to be annoying.
Agreed. No point in adding it if everyone's just going to toggle it off.

Weather would be a great thing to add again. Maybe even having effects with weather (idk if they had them before) like making the cars slide alot when it's snowing etc. Would really like to see weather return.

Reaction score
No point adding streetlight glow if people will turn it off
No point adding a 3dsky box if people will turn it off

it’s all based on preference, personally id keep the weather stuff on as long as it isn’t obnoxious as shit

Reaction score
well what is the preformance loss gunna be like i dont want perp to be unplayable everytime it rains just cuz of my pc

Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as people are making out, just don't bring back the fucking snow, that shit was awful
I assume you're talking about the really weird snow that would lay on the floor? If so, I'm pretty sure it's different now as per the PERP trailer.

it’s all based on preference, personally id keep the weather stuff on as long as it isn’t obnoxious as shit

I'm inclined to agree with Benj on this one. Disabling street light glow and 3dsky box doesn't really give the player a bigger advantage (aside from potential FPS gains), but because rain has sound, being able to disable it will mean you could hear people sneaking for example whereas someone with rain on wouldn't, which is quite a substantial difference.

Reaction score
The weather was amazing. It'd be great to see it back, but only if it was optimized as much as possible!

Reaction score

FPS Didn’t drop abysmally during weather conditions, people just hated rain because it was loud as fuck and obstructed visibility heavily. People would just turn it off during shootouts (the time it’s supposed to be annoying). Lights and such don’t change the game at all without. Weather should put everyone at a disadvantage so it isn’t a disadvantage.

Reaction score
I miss not knowing whether I'd be able to hear a bobby pin over the rain, aswell as the lowered visibility it gave you, especially at night. I feel like it should return, and not be toggleable on or off, as the sound and visuals should effect gameplay, and allow stealth-minded players to use it to their advantage. Also it just sucks having the sky be clear all the time.

Reaction score
I lag now sometimes already when the server is full, what will happen when they add weather? I think that is 1 of the major things that impact on your FPS. I also dont see the +1 in this suggestion other than realism.

What do you mean with realism roleplay scenarios?

Reaction score
I miss not knowing whether I'd be able to hear a bobby pin over the rain, aswell as the lowered visibility it gave you, especially at night. I feel like it should return, and not be toggleable on or off, as the sound and visuals should effect gameplay, and allow stealth-minded players to use it to their advantage. Also it just sucks having the sky be clear all the time.
exactly
makes it just more natural , id list more points but cba

Reaction score
The variation in roleplay is something I'd really want that weather would bring. Hardcore raiders/growers will complain, but it would make Paralake feel move alive

Reaction score
I think also if a storm breaks out 5 minutes before restarts to indicate a restart is approaching it can be great for immersion.