Remove the Negative Rating Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Description of the idea: Currently there are 2 negative ratings which are disagree and dislike. If you get one then your forum reaction score goes down. Some might consider this as a toxic system since they want their points to be high, and without meaning to sound sarcastic I can relate to it up to a degree, even though the dumb rating is gone which I think was an actually toxic rating.
To completely remove the toxicity from the ratings I suggest to make disagree and dislike ratings not affect your reaction score. This is actually how it used to be before the website was upgraded. The only visible reaction score was that of the positive ones and the neutral ones.

Why should this be added? (pros): Ratings are no longer toxic.
Maybe this would make it more viable to add a more "soft" dumb rating which hopefully won't be as toxic since it wouldn't affect anything. Name it "silly" or something with a cute icon.
Ratings could be available to everyone again on the suggestion thread! People will no longer fear to post threads of their ideas.
Revenge ratings will be completely pointless.

What negatives could this have? (cons): I agree that some (shit) posts deserve to be rated in a way to negatively affect the maker, although, since the dumb rating has already been removed, I don't see how this would be so bad.

*Other additions: Allow us to rate suggestions again.

Reaction score
  • Staff
I shall keep it since I see absolutely no reason to not allow it behind your decision.

Sam

Reaction score
Ratings add nothing to a suggestion, other than notification spam

Sam

Reaction score
@Lelios1 Why would there need to be a reason not to have them? There should be a reason to have them. There is a poll on each suggestion, you are to vote there.

Reaction score
@Samuel Because i might agree with the suggestion but might disagree with replies, which might be factored in in decision making of a suggestion. It can show popularity of an opinion or addition without 20 other people replying i agree and being forced to write 5 sentences in order to show support.

Sam

Reaction score
@Lelios1 Ofc there are no polls for replies, but you vote on the whole suggestion. We do not accept replies, we accept the general suggestion. We have never looked at ratings, we look at the poll when needed, just to see if its something that is wanted or not.

Ratings have never decided the outcome of any suggestion... its unneeded, and its not getting added.

Reaction score
@Samuel I do not want to add ratings for the people who accept the suggestions. I want to add them for myself, for the players. In your eyes they are useless, but having the ability to rate something funny, informative or whatever you feel like when you read the post or reply is great to have. I do not mean for this reply to sound like I am battling for "our freedom" or anything, it's not like not being able to rate is something world ending. I just do not agree with your point that "since they do not contribute to whether an idea gets accepted or not, we should not have them".
I am all in for removing toxicity, thus this suggestion was made to remove the possible toxicity of the disagree rating for whoever wants to post a suggestion but is afraid of the disagree hammer.
I do not understand why you choose to be so stubborn on this matter.
Removing negative rating scores and still not allowing ratings on suggestions would be something that I would not understand at all.
If you still disagree then I don't think I can change your mind. I just want to see what everyone else has to say on this matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe in “chat shit get banged” but on the other hand a negative reaction score probably isn’t very productive to the community at all. People with negative reaction scores vs people with low reaction scores with a high amounts of posts would give people the same idea on what people think of their ideas.

Reaction score
honestly people will find ways to just be more toxic, removing the ability to express whatever anger someone has through a rating just means they'll do it in a comment. It's an interesting phenomenon you encounter in censorship: banning opinions doesn't get rid of those opinions, it only makes them stronger.

it's a game, people talk shit, if you care about someone revenge rating you, you have bigger problems to deal with. its foolish to protect someone from every single negative thing that could possibly happen to them.

Reaction score
To be honest I just want ratings on suggestions.

On a serious note, do you see a shit post and are like : "haha I'm going to rate dislike to -1 his reaction score hehe!". I certainly don't and frankly, I don't think actual shit posters care themselves about this score.
The actual rating that had the most impact out of every other rating (the dumb rating to whoever didn't catch that) was removed. Removing the negative score at this point isn't that breath taking.
Would be a better step for the community in my opinion.

Reaction score
who the hell cares about the reaction score, i didn't even realise that existed until a few weeks ago. If anything it encourages people not to shitpost if, apparently, it has value.
If it doesnt have value then i don't see the need to remove it: it adds value and engagement to a post. It can make threads feel more alive. what even are the negative ones, only the optimistic, disagree and dislike ones right?

the community managed fine the past years even with a dumb rating, i dont see how removing them would make things suddenly better

Deleted member 6228

I do somewhat agree, but honestly you've gotta be some different level of shitter to have negative scores. Majority of what I post is controversial stuff and I'm still 1000 positive rep

Reaction score
@Sneaky if you don't care about the reaction score, why are you defending negative ratings so much?
The people who care about the rating are few.
People who shit post, clearly do not care about the score.
"it adds value and engagement to a post. It can make threads feel more alive" this is what you claim it does, but does it? If you think it does, how does it do it?
The suggestion isn't to remove negative ratings, it's to remove the negative score.
You'd know what the negative ratings were if you read the post.

Reaction score
this only provides a benefit for the unfortunate ~10 individuals who managed to post shit stupid enough to get more negative than positive ratings. its a no from me

Status
Not open for further replies.