Rule Suggestion (New Rule)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Suggestion Topic: New Rule
Suggestion Description: 2.10

All players are expected to be following Steam's User Agreement, ensuring they are 13+ years of age or older. Exceptions may be made for players with adult supervision if authorized by an administrator.

Why should this be added?:
- Protect kids from harm
- Steam's user agreement is basically TOS
- Better server reputation
- More competent and mature player-base

What negatives could this have?:
- Some people might lie similarly to meta gaming so it may need investigation taking up staff resource incase a problem arises sparking staff interest.

Reaction score
Additional Information: The adult supervision exception was an idea I personally added, I am not totally sure whether that is part of the steam user agreement regarding account creation. Therefore, it is safer to simply remove it from being an exception and set 13+ as a hard limit.

Reaction score
Steams TOS says they can not register an account under 13, says nothing about them playing on an account if they were not the ones that registered it. "Players" can be any age, account holders must be 13+ :shrug:

Reaction score
Steams TOS says they can not register an account under 13, says nothing about them playing on an account if they were not the ones that registered it. "Players" can be any age, account holders must be 13+ :shrug:
That’s called a loophole, not a valid reason.

Reaction score
Additional Information: The adult supervision exception was an idea I personally added, I am not totally sure whether that is part of the steam user agreement regarding account creation. Therefore, it is safer to simply remove it from being an exception and set 13+ as a hard limit.
It is a part of Steam's EULA. It's basically EU data protection laws that state that a Country must pick an age at which a child can create an account (between 13 and 16).
But a parent can create it for them, though they are required to control it for the child.

13 years is a good limit. Also due to lawful reasons, if anyone were to ever nitpick PERP, since if we acknowledge the fact that they are less than 13 years old, we can't store their private data..

Reaction score

All players are expected to be following Steam's User Agreement, ensuring they are 13+ years of age or older. Exceptions may be made for players with adult supervision if authorized by an administrator.

- Protect kids from harm

- Some people might lie similarly to meta gaming so it may need investigation taking up staff resource incase a problem arises sparking staff interest.
Honestly I’ve seen younger people with better behavior than most adults on the server, I Dont think restricting this on age is any help, seeing as trouble makers are found in any age group and would fall under 2.5 anyway.

Edit: Tilin’s response does make good sense on lawful reasons part, but I think theres already a lot done to protect underaged people. A specific rule in the rulelist that limits them isn’t a solution to anything.

Reaction score
How do you plan for anyone to enforce this?

How are we going to age-verify children?
Communities have done this in the past by literally checking IDs for users suspected of being underage... Which you can do, even with GDPR taken into account. But it may not be stored anywhere.

But if the person that would be qualified to check this, ever leaked any personal data... That could end horribly.

Reaction score
It is not the staff team's job to ensure that children are not playing on the server. It is the job of the parents.

Furthermore, verifying peoples' age is going to be relatively difficult and somewhat intrusive. People shouldn't have to show their ID to play on a Garry's Mod server.

If you believe someone to be in breach of the Steam ToS, report their steam account.

Safeguarding issues can be reported here and any rule breaks can be reported via the AR/F6 system.

Reaction score
Is sharing steam accounts not against TOS?

Reaction score
We aren’t supposed to enforce steams ToS and have no real obligation to do so. This would be down to Valve.

Whilst I agree that enforcing an age restriction on this server would be a good thing I also don’t see any need to do it. If someone is younger than 13 and being problematic they’re usually banned anyways.

Reaction score

- Protect kids from harm

Problem with this, and I am not joking here, is most of PERP has a lower mental age than 13 and act like 6 year olds.

How do we know if someone is too young or simply too naive to act like a grown up.

There’s no way for this to be enforced and just adds another pain in the ass thing to take up CMs time.

Reaction score
To be honest it would be a pain for staff. It shouldn't be perpheads staff who should rule Steam TOS but them reporting it. Simply GMOD is an all age game so it is absolutely fine for all ages. It is parents who should be careful of what their minors play.

Reaction score
To be honest it would be a pain for staff. It shouldn't be perpheads staff who should rule Steam TOS but them reporting it. Simply GMOD is an all age game so it is absolutely fine for all ages. It is parents who should be careful of what their minors play.
You can’t have gmod without steam so their terms with the users coming to our server are probably best respected rather than not.

More notably, PERPHEADS is one of, if not the biggest Dark Rp server at this moment. So it’s not under any radar.

I’d rather ban a pedo over someone enjoying the game who is on the younger side
I get that pedos being banned is good, that is the pro.

However the cons outweigh the pros. How is it any better to allow kids to run into evil individuals in the server hoping staff catch wind of the grooming then investigate a whole pedo case with a possibility evidence is found.

Instead of all that simply prohibiting kids from being possibly traumatized in the first place seems infinitely more reasonable, they can simply play when they’re old enough?

Reaction score
Problem with this, and I am not joking here, is most of PERP has a lower mental age than 13 and act like 6 year olds.

How do we know if someone is too young or simply too naive to act like a grown up.

There’s no way for this to be enforced and just adds another pain in the ass thing to take up CMs time.
Benefit of doubt can be given unless evidence is raised proving otherwise or good reason is articulable to suggest otherwise.

Reaction score
You can’t have gmod without steam so their terms with the users coming to our server are probably best respected rather than not.

More notably, PERPHEADS is one of, if not the biggest Dark Rp server at this moment. So it’s not under any radar.

I get that pedos being banned is good, that is the pro.

However the cons outweigh the pros. How is it any better to allow kids to run into evil individuals in the server hoping staff catch wind of the grooming then investigate a whole pedo case with a possibility evidence is found.

Instead of all that simply prohibiting kids from being possibly traumatized in the first place seems infinitely more reasonable, they can simply play when they’re old enough?
consiering tyla is a irl police officer and that there has been very little grooming gone unoticed on perp then yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.