Should breaking traffic laws be against the rules?

Should it be against the rules?

• Yes, breaking any traffic laws without a good reason should be against the rules.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello!

I am here because I wonder about how the community would feel about adding traffic violations to the server rules. I was going to make a rule suggestion, but I realised that would be a terrible idea and I would most likely get instantly denied.

Currently, I find the amount of traffic violations you witness while playing on the server extremely unrealistic. In real life, you wouldn't break every traffic law just so you could get home a few minutes faster because then you would risk fines, getting your license suspended and even jail time. Now I understand that getting a ticket doesn't matter that much because most people are loaded anyways, there is no such thing as driver's licenses in Paralake, and unless driving extremely recklessly, officers can't (or just don't want to) arrest anyone because most traffic violations are only infractions.

I could also argue that breaking traffic laws could be a breach of rules 2.1 (Play Realistically), 3.15 (Vehicle Damage) or even 3.4 (Putting your Life at Risk) because as I mentioned you could risk risk fines, getting your license suspended/revoked and even jail time. Also by driving recklessly you risk damaging your car and injuring yourself.

By allowing minor traffic violations, I mean things like not coming to a full stop at a stop sign, running an amber light, not using your turn signals, minor speeding offenses, etc., and making major traffic violations like running a red light while driving on the wrong side of the road at 100 mph against the rules. (I was exaggerating and I would like to clarify that what I mean by this is that people shouldn't drift around every corner, accidentally drive on sidewalks, go at extreme speeds on narrow roads, etc. which happens all the time on this server)

Now in real life traffic rules are sometimes broken that's why I don't think traffic offences should be banned entirely and that's why I believe when breaking traffic laws you should generate roleplay for other players.

What I mean by generating roleplay is that you shouldn't break traffic rules for the sole purpose of getting faster to your destination unless you have a good reason for doing that. Some examples would be: running a red light in front of an officer so you could get pulled over and roleplay the interaction, acting drunk after going drinking with your friends, colliding with a car because you were on your phone to roleplay the interaction with the other driver and possibly the police, engaging in a pursuit (If you have a reason for that) for a few minutes until pulling over, etc. This is personally my favorite option.

I can imagine if any of this gets implemented, staff will have a higher number of reports, but I imagine people will learn to follow the new rules pretty quickly. Another thing would be new players because most of them don't even read the rules (although a lot of them don't make it off spawn before getting perma banned). I imagine those who aren't minges will see other people driving safely and will do the same.

I would really appreciate hearing everyone's opinion - cops, civilians, criminals, staff, new players, veteran players, everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"running a red light while driving on the wrong side of the road at 100 mph" is already against the rules under 2.1 and 3.4, if people are driving like idiots without a reason then report them.

Reaction score
"running a red light while driving on the wrong side of the road at 100 mph" is already against the rules under 2.1 and 3.4, if people are driving like idiots without a reason then report them.
Well I was maybe exaggerating that a bit. I was kind of talking about the people that drift at every intersection, drive on the sidewalk while making turns, etc. Stuff that wouldn't really be a rulebreak, but still isn't realistic.