Switch back to EvoCity until V5 releases

Reaction score
Description of the idea: Switch back to the PERPHeads version of EvoCity until (rp_paralake_)V5 releases. This way we'd also actually make use of the custom version that was made for our server. It feels like we're not making use of it too much (obviously...), I believe EvoCity is a brilliant map and more suitable for a smaller playerbase. The most complaints I've heard about this map was the FPS but is it really all too important because you're running around with 25-40 FPS in one part of the city where you spawn in? It's the same people who only base in the Nexus Apartments and the Office Skyscraper and nowhere else and for godsake this is a RP server where FPS shouldn't almost matter at all (coming from someone who made a FPS config).

I hope some kind of workflow has been established when it comes to switching maps as last time I've heard that it's an actual pain and most likely time consuming.

The last relevant thread about this was made in April when it was demanded to make a switch back to Paralake https://perpheads.com/threads/revert-to-paralake.41377/ .EvoCity lasted for a whole 5 days if my memory serves right, no switch has been made by then.

Why should this be added? (pros):
As usual, something new to do until we get the release of the new map which hasn't made its way for release.

A map that is hopefully preferred by a lot of people, if we could see the amount of Upvotes and Downvotes cast individually we'd be able to see how many there are.

Make use of map edits that we didn't even get to see for a long time.

What negatives could this have? (cons):
People who only base at Office Skyscraper and Nexus Apartments cry about FPS when trying to flank/raid.

Time consuming as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Love EvoCity to bits. Has such a strong place in my heart, especially considering PERP as a gamemode was built around this map. The issue I do have with it, is that it is unstable at larger player numbers since G13. This server seems to perform really poorly on it as well adding to the drawbacks. But that being said, the player count has been fairly poor recently. Doing this might bring more people in but it might stay fairly stable due to the lack of people on Gmod in general lately.

Reaction score
Maybe a possible community re-vote like before. We also missed V3 (I think) on the map rotation so I wouldn't mind that coming into play. I am all up for evo city however, even if the FPS is shit and all the walls are made out of paper .

Reaction score
I mean change the map until v5 arrives.... It's not unlikely it will take a verry long time before we finally get to see v5. If it even gets to that point. We already tried this and there is a reason why we went back to v4. EvoCity is just to laggy and not well enough optimized. Yes it can be fun to play on for a few weeks but since there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet I say we stick with v4.

Reaction score
Anyone claiming how unoptimized and laggy EvoCity is hasn't really grasped Paralake and it's certain locations, if filled up, the Bazaar and the area near Police Department are equally as laggy if the same situations would occur, it's not even the map (mostly) because it's the gamemode itself, if you played on the PERP debug/dev map with the PERP gamemode your PC will die and it's a very, very small map.

If you're so concerned about FPS then please switch the map to rp_downtown_v4c_v4.

Reaction score
Lets use darkrp map but the christmas edition, i don't know the name of the map again

Reaction score
My issue with evo city isn't purely performance-related, although this is a factor.

I also dislike how far it is to become a medic or roadcrew for newer players who might not yet have a car. As the server at the moment is trying to retain newer players it would become an issue. Another issue in that regard is the guides would then be outdated and not nearly as useful for guiding new players.

I also dislike how the storage and spawn are right next to each other as it causes aids situations such as shootouts in spawn and shootouts right next to the PD. These situations generally cause toxicity within OOC and are not ideal when there is little staff online.

I do agree however that v4 is stale, but I am not sure Evo is the answer to that.

Reaction score
My issue with evo city isn't purely performance-related, although this is a factor.

I also dislike how far it is to become a medic or roadcrew for newer players who might not yet have a car. As the server at the moment is trying to retain newer players it would become an issue. Another issue in that regard is the guides would then be outdated and not nearly as useful for guiding new players.

I also dislike how the storage and spawn are right next to each other as it causes aids situations such as shootouts in spawn and shootouts right next to the PD. These situations generally cause toxicity within OOC and are not ideal when there is little staff online.

I do agree however that v4 is stale, but I am not sure Evo is the answer to that.
If that's the case then map navigation should be made easier by placing signs around the inner city that show you wheres what (alongside a updated navigation app as it still shows Paralake when you're in Evo) and actual walk paths for the road that leads to Hospital and RC as well as other places that don't have a walking path. You currently cannot go anywhere on foot without having to run on some grass patch but that's fixable now that we have our custom version of the map.

The bus job could also make a return.

Reaction score
If that's the case then map navigation should be made easier by placing signs around the inner city that show you wheres what (alongside a updated navigation app as it still shows Paralake when you're in Evo) and actual walk paths for the road that leads to Hospital and RC as well as other places that don't have a walking path. You currently cannot go anywhere on foot without having to run on some grass patch but that's fixable now that we have our custom version of the map.

The bus job could also make a return.
The big problem to this now is with the trailer out the door, it'll be very misleading to new players when they join the server expecting paralake, and finding evocity instead. Will probably get confused and think they got the wrong server, then leave.

Reaction score
The big problem to this now is with the trailer out the door, it'll be very misleading to new players when they join the server expecting paralake, and finding evocity instead. Will probably get confused and think they got the wrong server, then leave.
I wouldn’t be against making another trailer :shamefullyembarrased: