Tips for dealing with large amounts of suspects as an officer?

Reaction score
These last few days as an officer, I have had to deal with large amounts of suspects (3-6), sometimes on my own. I often lose my nerve and start shouting due to how a nightstick seems to do nigh-all against people. Anyone have any tips that can help me stay calm and control suspects?

Reaction score
My tip for you would be to:
First: Tell people to calm down
Second: Call for backup as 3-6 people is simply too much for you to handle on your own anyway, so might as well get some help
Third: If people start becoming aggressive tell them to back away using your nightstick
Fourth: If they continue to show aggression towards you, handcuff them as to ensure your own safety while dealing with them.

M

Reaction score
1 - Line them up against a wall with instructions to stay on their knees. This limits their mobility and if they stand up, they are technically at risk of escaping as there are many of them which could potentially mob you or run away whilst distracting you; therefore you nightstick them, reissuing the order.

2 - Have a rally-point for all suspects with a door you can close: they can't open a shut door. You can even break into an unowned property under section 11.5 to do this.

EDIT - Try handcuffing them to a pole or stationary object as a last resort.

Last edited:
Reaction score
During a crowd a officer must be aware of everything going on around him and should request assistance when he is being overwhelmed. If it is a dispute between two groups seperate them as best as possible until a second unit arrives to talk to the second group. If the two groups show aggression to each other try your best to get them out of sight. If the situation gets out of control you may use the panic button as this has the potential of turning into a street fight or even a riot.

If it is one group against the officer then visual must be on all involved try not to be cornered and call for a additional unit. The use of force is only authorised if it is needed and must be used for the situation for example use of night sticks or stun based weapons should have a warning that they will be used if they do not calm down.

Your firearm is only authorised if your life or civilian lives are in danger and it is your only choice do not go guns blazing if someone gets a little pushy or it will get out of control.

Note the panic button should be used if you cannot control the crowd and the situation is starting to get violent.

Reaction score
First of all you should call for 11-99. This means Officer needs help and is used when you need help immediately but your life is not in direct danger. As Chris said try to place them all in one place until additional units come. Use your nightstick to make people cooperate. Make sure to always keep all the people in line of sight and if one starts to run then go ahead and use your nightstick.

If you have not handcuffed them yet and they turn aggressive yous hould try to calm them down by talking to them. Communication is the best weapon an officer has. If it turns out thos does not work and he try to run then use your nightstick.

If this takes a sharp turn and all the people go crazy and it turns into a big brawl of people punching each other you may need to use your firearm for a warning shot. 6 people fighting cannot be controlled with a nightstick since your own life would come in danger because they would probably attack you again. REMEMBER TO ONLY FIRE A WARNING SHOT!

Does it turn out that they all team against you and start punching you then your life is in danger. Push your panic and pull your firearm up. As last time warn them by firing a shot into the air. Tell them to move back. If they keep on trying to punch you you may need to shoot. Be aware that you should aim for the legs as long sa they only attack you with fists.

Does it happen that you are completely surrounded with no escape route and they punch you in an attemp to kill you then again push your panic and pull your firearm. This time fire a warning shot again and if they keep on trying to kill you then you might find it nessescary to kill one or two to ensure your own life. There should be an open escape now. Run away and gunpoint the people.

I Hope it helps.