Weird ping issue

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So recently my room has been moved around to accomodate for a new radiator being installed in a different position, which is fine but this has rendered my WiFi card essentially useless as the antennas can no longer pick up the router's WiFi and connect it to it due to it being even further away from the router and tucked away in a corner, but even when it does the internet speed is abysmal, like, 100kb download speed on Steam.

Anyways, I recently purchased a TP-Link Archer TX20U Plus off of Amazon to rectify the issue and it has restored the internet speeds I had. However, it has introduced a new issue in the form of weird ping spikes every 30 or so seconds where games essentially become jitter and unplayable for 2-3 seconds before returning to normal. And on communication platforms such as Discord it causes the robotic-sounding voices when I am speaking to people. Checking the RTC debug tab in Discord showed that me this which confirmed my suspicion of my ping spiking every 30 or so seconds consistently:

1691099757974.png

I've tried a variety of possible fixes online such as reinstalling the driver, resetting Windows connection settings, etc. but so far but I've had no luck so I'd figure I'd make a post here to see if anyone else has faced a similar issue and what they did to resolve the matter. Or whether or not it would be better to simply attempt to get a refund for this wireless dongle and look for a new one instead.

Many thanks!

Solution

Thanks for the help everyone. I have managed to resolve the matter as it looks like simply installing an older driver has rectified the issue
Reaction score
run this and see if it fixes the problem atleast temporarily

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"

should stop searching for networks which might cause the spikes...

Reaction score
1st of all - is there other devices connected too that hotspot
2 - The thing u brought off amazon is it just an externder or a mesh network
3 - Look at the game itself maybe, try diffrent games (even thought u spend 24/7 on perp ;))
4 - Identfy why this could be happening does this happen at peak times where u live - Is there outages in ur area ect
Hope this helps somewhat

Edit -
Just remebered use something like glasswire or some shit like that see whats using the most internet traffic

Reaction score
run this and see if it fixes the problem atleast temporarily

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"

should stop searching for networks which might cause the spikes...
Regretably aftering running the command it has made no impact at all and that the ping spikes every 30 seconds-ish are still consistent

Reaction score
1.Please go to the Device Manger-Network adapters-right click on TP-Link adapter-Properties-Advanced- USB Switch Mode- select USB mode 2.

1691102578939.png

2.Please fully uninstall the existed driver from Device Manager and Control panel, then unplug the Archer TX20U Plus from the PC and re-plug it. Only install the official website driver to check if it helps.

Reaction score
1.Please go to the Device Manger-Network adapters-right click on TP-Link adapter-Properties-Advanced- USB Switch Mode- select USB mode 2.

View attachment 18621

2.Please fully uninstall the existed driver from Device Manager and Control panel, then unplug the Archer TX20U Plus from the PC and re-plug it. Only install the official website driver to check if it helps.
Unfortunately trying this as well made no impact and that I am still having the same issue :(
g0se4PPsAvpBNuJv.png

Reaction score
Okay so a small update I decided to install an older version of the driver and so far I haven't had any ping spikes aside from moments after installing the driver. I will continue to monitor it over the next 24 hours.

Reaction score
If connecting over ethernet really isn't an option I would recommend getting a powerline adapter, alot better than those shitty wifi receivers.

Reaction score

Thanks for the help everyone. I have managed to resolve the matter as it looks like simply installing an older driver has rectified the issue

Solution