06-06-2015 / 07-06-2015 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
06-06-2015
All cars have officially been finished so the balancing should be all set!!! I may post the full table of vehicles and their respective speeds at some point but for now just know it more or less is the amount of money spent on the car for initial purchase and upgrades that effects the speed.

If any car (this is more likely true on higher end ones) has an absolutely horrid turning radius (at slow speeds) please notify me either by a private conversation with an appropriate subject line or on the Updating Vehicles thread itself. To anyone complaining about cars being too slow or police too fast, I have some ideas regarding this that may be put into effect at some point. However I am 100% happy with the speed of vehicles now that I have balanced them so any request to buff a car I will simply be ignoring.

Now you're asking, why does this update cover two days if that's all there is? Well because I have been unable to finish a "small" side project I worked on to go with. However it should easily be finished for the next day at which point I will release several other updates to go with. This includes what I hope will reduce the lag rain/snow cause some if not entirely, we will see how it turns out. However I will not be disclosing the details of the project entirely or updates but I will give you all a teaser pic. Anyways enjoy the cars, yes they may feel "slow" but honestly there's little point in cars that have extreme speeds when the map itself is hardly 1km^2 so you can quickly get from point A to point B with a car that only goes 40.

07-06-2015
So all cars should now be finished and ready to ship for their damage smoke effects, this is most noticeable through engine smoke and exhaust pipe smoke. Currently this is mostly a representation of the vehicle's "health" so you can get it repaired by the Road Crew with their wrench, obviously this won't change the damage state of the car. That level of damage needs to be fixed at the Veikko International Body Shop across from the car dealer. The "health" of the vehicle has no real impact on any performance but shows you approximately how likely your vehicle will be actually damaged to a damage state.
fffe26f1bc.jpg

These settings allow you to turn off/adjust the effects some to help reduce lag if you don't wish to see them all the time. Unlike weather they hardly impact your sense of roleplay in a major sense. Speaking of weather though, I have changed the way I produce the rain effect, which I am seriously hoping helps reduce the amount of lag it causes, but this is yet to be seen. So depending on the result of that I will check for other improvements to some other systems.

Back to vehicles though... Here are some examples of the different effects.
3d8d6f4524aadcc923b8de92b6175638.gif

a9a1d3e81155d7832d2b5558841f9359.gif

ebb7e4d8de0d3900677edb37e94fee41.gif

The exhaust effect is very minimal when the car has no damage (I shot the car in the above picture twice with an M1911)

In other updates, delivery can now drop packages at the door if owned by the player making the order or if the player making the order has owner of the door on their buddy list. The package will kind of get wedged in the door and I plan on fixing this for next updates but for now it was a quick addition as vehicles took up most of my time. Tired of knowing when you've actually loaded in or about to and simply have GMod running in a window while you do other stuff, or waiting to simply respawn? For people on Windows it will now make the bottom icon flash (at least on Windows 7). Also I discovered one little issue involving grenades which I will say is rather a bad oversight but not abused that I've ever seen/heard of, but good to have fixed.

That's about it, but the vehicle effects are mostly a present for everyone as PerpHeads will be celebrating its second year anniversary come July 5th so I wanted to do a little special something for everyone, yes it's about a month in advance but we have some other things in the works that are more than exciting if they can be done in time. Cross your fingers now and enjoy the effects! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.