ban the racist shit being said in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Description of the idea: ban the use of the n word in game, would follow under the rule 1.1. Should it be said the punishment has to be severe.

Why should this be added? (pros): makes the community a better place, eliminates the sorry excuse for being a racist irl.

What negatives could this have? (cons): ?

Other concerns: this shouldnt even be negotiable.

Deleted member 5577

But words have meaning behind them and to some people that meaning could be their ancestors being killed and the murderers being charged with criminal damage in some cases... Have a read of the article I put above

Reaction score
For those claiming that they roleplay as a racist character or anything, maybe try and be a little more creative. Using the N word and saying it everyone you see isn't "racistrp" its just you being racist and pretending that its part of rp, which it clearly isn't. If you want to develop your character into a racist, maybe try actually roleplaying. Do things in-game directed at certain character models, and maybe bother people or whatever.

I really don't see how racism has any part in the roleplay on Perpheads. There is literally nowhere where it would fit in the rules. You can't just kill someone because you're racist and that makes it okay? If you want to target someone for having a black character model and call them the n word over and over again, well then shit I think we've got bigger problems.

If you want to use the word with your friends, fine by me, idc, just don't involve community members who don't want to be involved.

Reaction score
Only line that shouldn't be crossed would be homophobic words and or racial slurs while in game. Maybe expand your vocabulary if u really want to disrespect someone, just leave racist shit behind.

Reaction score
Why not ban ALL offensive Slurs? Why would the N word alone be held to the highest esteem? The K word, The F bomb, Phrases like "Autist", "Retard", They all serve no purpose being spouted over and over again down peoples microphones and all of these slurs carry a massive history of offensive profiling of peoples races, religions, sexualities, and disabilities.

People using slurs in game realistically I guess isn't necessarily an issue, But if it exists in writing, like being put on a bazaar shop sign, a product up for sale, etc. Then I see an issue with that behaviour.

On the other hand, There's better ways I would rather spend my afternoon than hearing a group of kids with McDonalds Drive thru mics just say racial and other slurs over and over again desperately trying to show how funny they are(nt) To the community. Hearing a kid run around using racial slurs solely because they know if they did it IRL Their 80lb ass will get dropped like a cafe chalk board sign has essentially become an unwanted part of the daily PERPheads experience.

I guess I can get behind this suggestion anyways.

Reaction score
I want to echo what Benji said above.

Why is this one word being held to such a higher standard than everything else? Yes, it's a really disgusting word, but so are the words said above. Sure, get rid of that but if you do that then I'd also expect "paki, autist, retard, spastic, sped" etc be barred from being used to. The N word is not the only word that holds weight.

I'm behind it, ONLY if those words are banned too.

Reaction score
yes i agree anything racially disrespectful should be banned, and any words that might target certain community members.

Reaction score
@glacial whilst I understand and totally expect it to be seen as baiting I’m genuinely just asking relevant questions.

I entirely agree that racism, homophobia and other types of discrimination need to stop IC as well as OOC of course but the question of:

Where is the line drawn?

Needs to be asked or else there will be yet more issues with staff discretion, your current suggestion of “ban the n word” albeit entirely fine is also rather broad.

Reaction score
I feel like, if its IC and used slightly/once every now and again instead of once every word, its ok. But when it comes around to being homophobia/antisemitism its a different level. +support

Jamal

Communication Banned
Reaction score
You're all thinking this is a good idea till some kid makes an AR on you for saying the N word because their precious ears can't handle words over the internet. This is the internet ffs why are we tryna make it a BBC broadcast limiting to me what I can say n shit. Admittedly the n word is overused but why is this a need when no one on the internet gives a fuck about being called the n word in game. This will be used in salt mostly, because it's not like everyone will stop saying the word, if anything it's gonna want to make me say it more.

Reaction score
Ban any offensive slur being used excessively without any role play context. Someone hard R'ing every now and again in character isn't necessarily unrealistic, nor is it really offending anyone.

Why hold the N word to such high esteem too when there are a plethora of other slurs being regularly used in the server which carry a history of causing such a negative impact to certain communities, resulting in profiling, and in extreme cases, segregation, containment, and in certain cases, Literal genocide?

Let me go over the ACTUAL definition of most pejorative slurs people use in game without them actually realising that they are offensive:
- Dumb: Used in 19th century Britain to profile Mute people. (People who cannot speak). This term was not seen as pejorative but became an insult after awhile. Typically it has a "New meaning" Which means its no longer really offensive par se.
- Autist: Self explanatory. As an autistic myself however this has become a term of endearment at times similar to the N word without the Hard R is to black people.
- Retard: Means "Delayed". Derogatory term used to profile people with disabilities. This one was an "Official" word up until the late 2000's. When travelling to the US, I was profiled as "Retarded" on official government documentation due to me having ASD And ADHD. Ngl, I found it fucking funny, but my family were disgusted and appalled.
- Moron: another word used to describe people with mental disabilities or illnesses, this one however beginning its life as a pejorative term.
- Spastic: Same as all above.

Personally, I do not get offended when referred to as an "Autist" or "Retard" any more than I would if someone called me a F****t.

I am yet to hear of anyone being particularly offended by people using the N word in a roleplay context except in instances where people were just sat there saying it over and over again (which I think shouldn't be allowed) and at that point it wasn't people taking offence to it, but more so, they were just sick of hearing it.

More people on PERP right now are using derogatory terms towards homosexuals, transexuals, LGBT People in general, and disabled people, than they are using the N word. Its gotten to a point where I've heard a plethora of users, particularly ones who should know better, actively describing and calling proven disabled users in this manner. And if we're gonna just ban the use of a single racial slur, Why not do the same for all slurs?

would follow under the rule 1.1.
Surely it'd be 1.2?

Tl;Dr:
We can't really just ban the use of 1 slur in game, if anything, any and all serious derogatory terms with histories of being used to profile and oppress people Racially, LGBTQ people, and disabled people should be banned alongside the hard R.

Reaction score
Get rid of it. Hellzone, Santos when it wasn't dead, pulsargaming, protocol gaming, all had rules against this. Why haven't we done the same? Although we have to be careful to not destroy people for jokes. If someone calls coronavirus kung flu for example that shouldnt be a ban. but if they attack asian people for it then we have a problem. I've seen to many times places ban even unhurtful barely racist jokes so we have to think this out.

Deleted member 4084

First of all, I am in complete support for this - with additions extending to any forms of discrimination to certain protected characteristic specified below (hopefully the administration can choose appropriate characteristics to add to the discrimination rule) including:
  • Disability
  • Gender Reassignment
  • Sex
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Race
  • Religion or Belief
I am completely aware of there being more characteristics, however, aren't relevant for obvious reasons. Over the years I was apart of this community I've witnessed numerous incidents of individuals basing their characters around racism (Jonathan, if you remember him, being one of those individuals and quite apparently @Jamal ), asides, there wasn't much staff did even with there being rules against such actions and was permitted under the 'it's in-character' excuses which is absoloutely ridiculous and hopefully the administration decide to implement this as well as being taken seriously, with harsh punishments other than a 'verbal warning'.

Deleted member 5577

So, for example, you'd want someone that made a forum post clearly being toxic about a group of people to be banned? warned? CWB'd like the others?

Jamal

Communication Banned
Reaction score
@LilChicken No, if I could have it any way i'd make it so no one gets banned if i'm honest, unless it became excessive and turned into bullying community members, which is fair as then people aren't no longer shit talking they're just trying to force someone out of the community then I feel like they should be CWB.

Deleted member 5577

He's obviously massively bigoted but the post was removed for a reason and he was banned I believe which sends a clear enough message to him I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.