CPU Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So as per somethings wrong with my PC and I've just about come to the conclusion that it may be a hardware problem. Two days ago whilst playing overwatch my CPU went from around 75 C to 100 C instantly. I stopped the game, restarted my pc and after that my temps haven't been the same. Quick time-line so you know where I am now:
  • Took off the heatsink, cleaned it properly aswell as the rest of my PC.
  • Re-applied a generous amount of thermal paste
  • Made sure all the fans are running at an optimum speed.
After doing all of this my temps are as follows (yes its the shitty widget, deal with it)
qoRs8y2.png

Looks normal-ish if I was running a game. But the only applications currently open are:
  • Google Chrome, Discord and Comodo Anti-virus (no scan running)
If I was to launch any game, my CPU instantly shoots to 85+, making the game unplayable.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am leaning towards maybe having to purchase a new heat sink as that may be the problem, but I seriously refuse to believe the recent spike in English weather is whats causing me all these problems.

Reaction score
Check and make sure you have good airflow throughout your case. I'd say make sure you have 2-3 inc clearance on each side (Front, Back, Left, Right, Front, Top.) It doesnt sound like it's your cooling system that has an issue to me. And I mean it is getting hotter outside so it might be normal for your PC to get hotter.

Reaction score
What CPU cooler do you have? If you have a stock intel one, buy a better one.

What this man said, the stock cooler for intel CPU's are absolute garbage and it will start terminal throttling during intense usage. You should get a better cooler. Another thing you can do to lower temps is to downvoltage the CPU, by giving the CPU less voltage it will stay cooler and the performance will be the same. Usually you can downvoltage adaptive around 50 to 150mv. Look up a guide like this: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-undervolt-a-cpu/

Reaction score
qoRs8y2.png

5797872a11.png

Re-applied a generous amount of thermal paste
Use a proper brand thermal paste, cheap ones are absolute garbage.
if you're using the stock cooler, it'll do ok if you dont OC and use good thermal paste.
you're usually fine with a thick rice grain sized amount.

you'll probably do good with an aftermarket cooler and artic silver paste. If you wish to play some games, underlock/lower the voltage of your cpu.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Like everyone said, try getting a new cpu cooler or borrow one from someone for a few days to see if it actually makes a difference. Try to log your CPU activity and post it here, there should be some programs for this. Just google something. The more information the better.

I remember having this and I fixed it by removing the stock cooler and getting a better cooler. Try the Noctua coolers. Those are fucking quality but they are ~70 pounds.

Reaction score
Reinstalled windows and it's fixed, ty for any help everyone.

//Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.