Dead PC.

Reaction score
So like, I was in the middle of a Rainbow Six game right, the score was 4-4 competitive and we were about to win.

My pc shuts off like it usually does when I play games like Subnautica cause of PROBABLY my power supply, it boots back up and works fine, but it never really did this with Rainbow Six.

Anyways, I hear the scary sound of an electric boom pow sound coming from my PC, all the power in the house went off, well, nearly everything.

My brother comes walking out of his room telling me his pc shut off and the same sound came from his PC, so all the power is back after a second or ten and he starts up his PC.

I do the same and my PC doesn't want to start up anymore, I just want to make sure what the fuck happened to my PC cause I don't want to hear the news of me needing to get a new GPU or Hard Drive.

The hell just happened?

Reaction score
you probably fried ur motherboard, i remember my pc would randomly shut off when i was playing overwatch it was because my cooler was ass and over heated my cpu.

Reaction score
Power surge and now your motherboard is fried ... just a guess

Reaction score
check your motherboard completely, you could've fried anything with a faulty power supply, if you fried it in a shit place then you can damage certain components e.g the cpu/memory etc. it all depends where the "fry" marks are

test your parts in your brother's pc if you are worried, seems like you'll need a new mobo and power supply though, luckily those being the cheapest components out there nowadays so not too bad.

but power going off in the whole house? could be faulty circuits in the house if that is happening... or too many things being powered so you flipped a circuit breaker

Deleted member 6228

Your powersurged and your PC is fried completely mate, I recommend getting a surge protector extension lead if you live near and industrial places such as factory, I live near a huge military dockyard and this stuff is common.

Reaction score
If it doesn't boot at all, likely the motherboard, however could be that your entire system is friend in extreme scenarios and as mage said,PSU / Mobos are the cheapest part, it may be worth if you have the ability and knowledge to test it yourself, if not take it to your local PC shop and ask if they can test the components and explain what happened, that way you can get an idea of what you need to repair

Reaction score
Oh well there goes a PC of nearly 1100 euros then

Reaction score
Yeah, the boom boom was definitely coming from your Power Supply - I experienced the same thing years ago. Being as that happened, your PSU is definitely fried and hence why your Pc refuses to start.

Have you tried to start your pc with a new or temporary PSU into your rig after that happened? As when my PSU blew up, I placed a spare one that I had into my PC and luckily all the parts were fine and the computer booted up.

Reaction score
I have zero money and my brother doesn't seem to care to help. I'll have to wait a little while to get some other parts and try things out.

Reaction score
I have zero money and my brother doesn't seem to care to help. I'll have to wait a little while to get some other parts and try things out.
Alright. Hopefully it should’ve been your PSU only that got damaged and should be a quick replacement job.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs for you PC? Specifically CPU, GPU and PSU? As you mentioned that your PC would randomly shut off before the surge when playing games. Usually the cause of that is the PSU not having a high enough wattage to cope with the power being drawn from the CPU/GPU in Games.

Reaction score
Ohoho you're gonna find it really weird hearing my specs.

AMD FX8320 8core
RX 580 8gb
CP750w piece of shit thing.
16gb RAM, 800mhz, I know, it's bad.
And some weird motherboard I don't know the name of.

I know the CPU is bad.

Reaction score
but power going off in the whole house? could be faulty circuits in the house if that is happening... or too many things being powered so you flipped a circuit breaker
Some circuit breakers turn off the whole electricity in some houses if it detects a short circuit or too much current but I've only seen old ones turn off all electricity as they mostly only have just 1 switch where most modern or others have multiple for rooms. If you use a power cord extender make sure you only use one and don't extend it with anything else, get a new power brick with short circuit protection and you should also be fine, don't use your old one as that one might be faulty.

Reaction score
So I tried stuff out, and I replaced the power supply with the old one I had for my other graphics card thingy that got previously fried a while back, and my pc now starts up with that power supply but of course doesn't boot up cause of the RX 580. So I guess it was just my power supply?

Reaction score
So I tried stuff out, and I replaced the power supply with the old one I had for my other graphics card thingy that got previously fried a while back, and my pc now starts up with that power supply but of course doesn't boot up cause of the RX 580. So I guess it was just my power supply?
yes, then then it looks like you have to spend €40 on a new power supply since it works with a different one, might want to test your graphics card in another computer just in case as well.

Reaction score
I can remember when I first started to play GTA V on the PC and my performance was shit and my mate said it might be the drivers and when I updated the drivers I was getting 60 fps on high settings. I was buzzing and then suddenly I heard a big bang from my PC. The problem was that I have good components such as Motherboard, GPU, and CPU that could run the game but the power supply was shit and the components were trying to get more power than the power supply could actually supply resulting in it giving up. This may be the same case for you? I am not good with PCs but I am just putting this here in case it helps. Always make sure your power supply can supply more power than the PC needs so that if it suddenly gets greedy it has enough power and the power supply won't blow up lol.

Reaction score
Good to hear that it seems to be only the PSU that’s causing the issue. Like Mage said, it would be best to test your GPU in another system that’s capable of utilising that GPU just to make sure it’s unaffected.

If that’s not an available, then I’d invest in a new PSU, get it installed and test the GPU from there.

By the way, when buying PSUs, make sure they are from well-known developers like Corsair, etc. And make sure they are certified as in like they have either bronze, silver, gold or platinum ratings as if you try to buy a PSU for a rig you got on the cheap that isn’t certified, there’s a pretty good chance it’s a scam (trust me, I learnt the hard way and that’s how my old PSU ended up dying).

I noticed when you posted your specs your PSU was a 750 Watt. I initially would’ve believed that would be fine but if your PSU still died with that amount of available wattage with the specs you got, then I’d say aim for a PSU with around 1000 wattage available just to play it safe. (Although, I just researched that PSU you had and looks like it’s a cheap one so you may get away with buying another 750 watt PSU but buy it from a verified and certified developer - but I’d still advise aiming for 1000 watt PSU or 850 watt PSU)

Reaction score
Well yeah I do have a bad CPU and a bunch more fans running to keep it all cool, so I guess you're right about the 850/1000W thing.