Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Death needs to be more scary and undesirable; I think this suggestion/idea will greatly help:

When you die, you should remain dead for 10 minutes.

The time in which you can be revived should be dependant on how you died.

For example, if you are knocked unconscious, if you are not revived within 1 minute, you will die; once dead, your screen will go from red (covered in blood) to black, where you will remain dead for the remainder of the 10 minutes; so 10 - 1 = 9 minutes additional minutes.

Benefits

The more undesirable death is, the more realistically people will play to avoid it.

Will help to prevent people from driving recklessly, because of the increased risk of death.

Will make people care more about dying, rather than just what weapons they'll lose.

Will help to prevent people from doing dangerous and life-threatening things without proper consideration/planning.

Will prevent people from 'finishing-off' their friends so that they spawn more quickly, which is against the rules.

This idea would also coincide with the body bag ideas where the current plan is to have corpses stay around for longer.

Will help prevent people from breaking the New Life Rule, NLR; specifically, the aspect where you are not allowed to return/re-join to the place/the situation which involved your death, for at least 10 minutes.

This would be particularly helpful when killing Police officers within the Police Department when breaking someone out of jail, for example; this is currently a problem because when a Police officer dies, they will re-spawn inside the Police Department, which can be very problematic; this idea/suggestion prevents this from being a problem.

Being a serious RP server, there isn't a reason not to do this.

Gix

Reaction score
Alex_:D;n3161 said:
If this was put into the server people would just relog to spaw. Again. It's a bad idea, the server would lose a lot of players and new players would probably not stay for long once they discovered the 10 minute respawn.
Easily fixed by implementing an hour ban for logging out while dead.

Reaction score
This will be a difficult change for many, but change is rarely easy; quotes!

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad."
C. S. Lewis

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Reinhold Niebuhr

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
Frederick Douglass

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."
George Bernard Shaw

"Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts."
Arnold Bennett

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance."
Alan Watts

Reaction score
It's not hard to find anything about how humans are resistant to change of any sort, but often times they aren't talking about how to make a game fun and enjoyable. I understand full well that you have good intent behind this and you yourself are willing to accept these changes, but I still see many flaws in it. As always mentioned, main one being the sheer boredom of a screen with nothing on it.

Reaction score
I do agree, however, it has been mentioned many time but what happens when you glitch and die, or RDM/CDM. also if there is 10 mins of death then there should be no NLR time. And a good suggestion made here is having different revive times depending on how you die. And as said by StephenPuffs "10 minuets each time would get boring incredibly fast" - Which it would... fast.

Reaction score
I suggest a "Death Room". Anyone who watched the series called "The Leet World" will know about this. Anyone who dies then passes the unconscious state should enter the Death Room instead of the Black Screen Phase. You should stay in the Death Room until you respawn and everyone who's dead at that moment will be there. There can be a TV inside, the person who came first will have access to it to set the video. When the person leaves the room after his timer runs out, the TV access goes to the next person who entered the room. With the death room, we are able to implement this 10 minute death thing so people will care much more about their lives like the example Luke made (Btw very good example Luke I was going to make the same example :p). And also we will sort the problem about people being bored in that 10 minutes phase. There's no need for a map edit for the death room. It can be on top of a building -lets say PD roof- and it can be covered with permanent fence props which are indestructible and also a TV inside. No interaction between the normal world and the death room.

If you don't get the idea, here's a part of an episode of The Leet World. Watch from 2:30 and you'll get the idea. EDIT: Also after 4:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WWrXW_jvY

By the way I really recommend you guys watching that series. It has 2 seasons and has an awesome plot, really dramatic and has lots of plot twists.

Reaction score
Ruby;n3225 said:
I suggest a "Death Room".

A death room is a great idea; make it relatively large so people can have separate conversations, and also make it so everyone is handcuffed. The TV could cause problems with inappropriate content and such.

A death room would give people a chance to reflect on their deaths and discuss it with other people who also died in the situation; really good idea.

It would also allow admins to talk to people who have died; while they're 'dead' in the death room.

Ok well a death room would still be pretty boring i guess the first time it would be cool but having people ask you HOW DID YOU DIE WHAT DID U DO B4 U DIDED AND HOW MUCH MONEY U MAKE WHAT WUZ UR NAME every time you die might get annoying. I dont know about everyone else, but i would just play tetris during this time and possibly just get kicked for afk unless I keep track of time.Also, arent admins suppose to talk to you after you die anyway? What makes having a room make it any different. Maybe this is just me :/

Reaction score
+1 for the death room but you have to watch for NLR breakers i guess giving away informations

Reaction score
A 10 minute death would make me puke everytime i die, "deathroom" I am not up for either. There should me more of an death roam, were the player respawns after he has passed away somewhere away from the deathscene as a ghost or placed in some sort of ghost town with noone around him with optimally some creepy music and screams, it'd add some real creepyness to death as it'd not make the player get bored by a black screen. Or put the player in a "death room" where you can watch short amusement films, death room should make me want to die sometimes because I wanna watch some shit on A TV and is going to eventually make me commit suicide cus of that TV!

nordlinder;n3335 said:
A 10 minute death would make me puke everytime i die, "deathroom" I am not up for either. There should me more of an death roam, were the player respawns after he has passed away somewhere away from the deathscene as a ghost or placed in some sort of ghost town with noone around him with optimally some creepy music and screams, it'd add some real creepyness to death as it'd not make the player get bored by a black screen. Or put the player in a "death room" where you can watch short amusement films, death room should make me want to die sometimes because I wanna watch some shit on A TV and is going to eventually make me commit suicide cus of that TV!
I support the ghost town, where players can visit and you can haunt them, move things like a poltergeist or however you spell it and possibly kill them with a trap or something

Reaction score
nordlinder;n3335 said:

You shouldn't ever want to kill yourself IC. If you want to watch TV, then get a TV or find someone with it. The reason why this suggestion is suggested is that it will make people care much more about their lives and they will be careful when they are risking their lives. They won't be rushing like idiots in middle of a gunfight with 5 armed people. If the death room was such a fun place that people would want to die to go there, this would ruin the only reason of the 10 minute death, which is caring more about your life.

Reaction score
Play this for 10 minutes when the die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0
No one will ever want to die again.

On a more serious note, great idea but people would more than likely find this extremely boring and new players (as stated before) might leave once they discover this. Shame there isn't a way around it being so boring. I wouldn't personally mind it though. xD

Reaction score
Ruby said:
nordlinder;n3335 said:

You shouldn't ever want to kill yourself IC. If you want to watch TV, then get a TV or find someone with it. The reason why this suggestion is suggested is that it will make people care much more about their lives and they will be careful when they are risking their lives. They won't be rushing like idiots in middle of a gunfight with 5 armed people. If the death room was such a fun place that people would want to die to go there, this would ruin the only reason of the 10 minute death, which is caring more about your life.
That's why we shouldn't use a 10 minute death! Because noone should ever wanna die IC, isn't it the character that should be scared of death? Not the player. And 10 minutes of death = pile of puke on yer' keyboard. People would leave because they came to the game to play and enjoy their beautiful time infront of the computer screen instead of staring at a boring black screen! Games are made for enjoyment. But if it's neccesary in your opinion, go ahead and make it "Waiting Simulator 2013" with capital W and S!

Reaction score
I'd like to add, because a lot of people haven't realised, that if this change is made, as well as some others, death will be a lot less common compared to how it is now; meaning, in actuality, it is very possible that you could, on average, spend the same amount of time being dead in an hour, as you do now, if not less.

Reaction score
Luke;n3049 said:
Will make people care more about dying, rather than just what weapons they'll lose.

Yes, I often have people come up to me after I kill them saying "Dude can i have my gun back please? I really need it" And little do they know im staff but this gets quite annoying.

I think over all the idea is fantastic and would add alot more realism!

Supporting

Reaction score
I do not like this idea, but it'll improve on realism. So I came up with this: the more times you die the longer you'll have to wait. And maybe the death wait is limited to for example 15 minutes. Then players should be wanting to wait less time while dead so they can respawn quicker and get to play. if they die for the first time they'll maybe wait 3 min and have a 12 min NLR, they've died for the 10th time they'll wait 13 min with 2 min NLR. This will make people even more caring for their lives due to the wait they'll have to go through the death screen. The uncouncius time however can still be the same if you configure it that way.

Reaction score
That's a great idea! If it would be implanted cops wouldn't just charge in like hero's, some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.