Grinding noise from PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi. I have installed steam on my C Drive which is 250GB of SSD. Now that it is just about full up, I'm having to install some new games on my D Drive, which is 3tb of HDD. Therefore, I had to create a new steam library. When I started installing Arma 3 on it, it makes a grinding sound. It stops when I stop writing to the disk. My computer is still fully functional and downloads normally.
I have tried de-fragging the D drive and it still happens.

Is this because that is requests data from the other drive, if so is there a way to prevent it?

EDIT: The 'grinding noise' sounds like an actuator moving. The same noise occurs on startup for a few seconds and can randomly occur at some points but not for too long. Will call PCSpecalist today about the 'fitting' problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That grinding noise is not much of a issue its that your hard drive has not got alot of space so its struggling to read files. When your hard drive gets full it starts trying to use up what is known as system memory. I believe it also has a buffer while accessing files, transfering information and creating temp files so it will not react well if its struggling for space.

Try clearing a bit of space your computer will not run well if its full up even 10gb left can still have a impact so get rid of a few things you dont play or use anymore and if needed transfer it to something external if its important.

Thinking about it carefully it might also be reacting to you installing arma 3 to a seperate drive from steam try checking if thats the issue before anything else.

Deleted member 1235

If everything still works fine apart from the noise, then chances are it may not be placed correctly inside the computer. Alternatively, did you perhaps knock something loose when fitting in the hard drive. Try having a look inside with it running (just don't touch anything). It may be your fan, or a loose screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.