Improve or Replace Monorail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Discussion Post: Main Idea: To either Replace the Monorail and turn it into a Light Railway or Graphically Improve it and improve location of stations.

Full description of the idea: The way I see it: The monorail is ugly, uninspired and poorly located. It is very rarely used due to how much effort goes into actually getting to each station. It is also unrealistic and small. I feel it should be replaced or vastly improved from the state it is currently in. Here are some parts that I feel should be considered. I felt like I should put it into parts as I know that if this is to be accepted, the chances of all the following getting done is small due to the amount of time it may take and the shear challenge to take it on. The only reason I am actually even posting this suggestion is because I know that the development team are capable of it:
Now I am not saying it was graphically perfect but it was heading in the right direction. Anyway, without further-a-do here are the parts to this improvement project:

Part 1a
Give the Monorail a face lift. Improve the model and make it look more realistic. Add tracks, track props and additional props and improvements to the stations. Make them a bit more detailed. Extend the cars and make it into a train instead of a poxy monorail. They aren't really appropriate for actual city public transport. A lot of content can be nicked from from Metrostroi as they have really nice High Quality Content and Models.

Part 1b
Extend cars, add more cars and extend platforms. Add two sets of doors for each car, make them remain open for the majority of time they are parked at the platform. Improve the noises and add closing alarms. Add new announcements to the trains and make the IBIS Unit more visible. Improve Variable Frequency Drive and Track Sounds.

Part 2
Improve location of the stations and possibly add more. I've felt like this has been needed for ages and would improve the usage of the monorail. It will also make it a bit easier for newer players. I also believe it will encourage people to use the monorail when their tyres are popped rather than just driving down highway with broken tyres.

Part 3
Make the line go all the way around the map instead of just flipping and turning the other way. This was it will do a full continuous Circle and will feel much more realistic as it will seem as though there are more units on the track when really there is just the one.

Why should it be added?: The monorail is a bit tatty in my opinion. It is also unrealistic and boring. I don't see why it couldn't be improved. It is an integral part of getting around on the map, so why is it so dull and unrealistic.

Pros:
  • Would Improve Quality and Looks of the Map
  • Increase usage of the system
  • Provide a better Roleplay Experience

Cons:
  • Time Consuming and Possibly Challenging
  • Would need to be attempted delicately

*Other additions: [list here]

--Decent Light Rail Example to go off of.

Kay

Reaction score
The monorail is hardly used to this day tbh with you , never really see anyone using it. Could use a revamp but don’t think that’ll make it popular.

Reaction score
Other than small improvements to make it feel more realistic I don't really think there is need for an upgrade.

Cars are always going to be the most used mode of transport no matter what you do to the monorail, as you can't exactly run from police, get to somewhere quickly, or transport belongings such as weapons or maybe drugs via monorail etc.
I don't really think it's worth allocating resources and development time to something that is only really used a few times by people who are new to the server and maybe occasionally when you have no tires and nobody can take you to the car dealer.

Basically, it would be a nice idea but I don't think that it is worth the limited map resources

Reaction score
I like using the monorail after jumping out of my car on the forest highway and running to subs monorail to escape the plpd. @!Max!

Deleted member 6228

I agree the stations could be better placed, however last time a post was made about the monorail it was said what could be done was severely limited due to source engine, maybe someone could comment and clarify. However the stations should atleast be better placed

Reaction score
I'd like to mention that EvoCity Version 2 is a good example of how to approach this. It is a large map with a decent functional light railway that looks quite good. I must say it is missing things and fucks up where the doors fold which makes my cringe. But this shows that it can be done better. I don't believe it should be exactly the same but it is a good example to work from.

Reaction score
Denied

As for now the monorail will remain how it is, as we have other priorities at the moment. It might however see some changes in the distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.