Please explain.....

Reaction score
Dear British People,

Can you please explain where the fuck a "F" in " Lieutenant". Is? I am very confused and i think this needs some explaining and where it originated from. Thank you and goodnight.

P.S. I don't mean this to be offensive to anyone.

Reaction score
lieutenant
lɛfˈtɛnənt/
noun
  1. a deputy or substitute acting for a superior.
    "one of the Prime Minister's most trusted lieutenants"
    synonyms: deputy, second in command, right-hand man/woman, number two, assistant, aide, wingman, henchman, henchwoman, subordinate; More
    • a rank of officer in the British army, above second lieutenant and below captain.
    • a rank of officer in the navy, above sub lieutenant and below lieutenant commander.

Reaction score
Fluetenant leading the swine flue force?

It is accent based really different accents for different regions like other countries. If you are having issues just say poor transmission and repeat message. It is not our fault and we know of some who have slight issues and say nothing it is accent not that they cant pronounce it.

Reaction score
Oh god I was the one who started this haha, many people have commented on the way I say it xD

Basically, in England, we can say it either way, pronouncing it either 'leftenant' or 'lutenant' however it really does not matter. The pronunciation 'Leftenant' is a lot less common I believe; which is why I've also had English people telling me I'm pronouncing it wrong

Reaction score
Lieutenant is a French word, the British didn't like the French at one point, we changed the pronunciation, so Leftenant is the correct way to pronounce it if you're British, if you're from anywhere else (American Trash or European Lovely people) then chances are it's Lootenant.

My Grandfather: "They're officers, not toilet cleaners"