Problem: Limited legal activites to do as a citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Problem:

As a player, you only have a few viable legal options to do when playing on PERP to gain funds and meaningfully interact with other players.

- Do one of the government jobs
- Sell legal items like fish, weapons etc.
- Roleplay a beggar and get scoffed at.

None of these make good use of private owned properties, which is almost solely used for orgs and individuals to grow/raid.

Why not add a legal way to utilize properties to make some money and do some worthwhile activities?

The solution:

I think it's a good idea for citizens to have a faster, lower risk, lower reward and legal way to grow stuff in their gardens. They're split into two catagories.

- Flowers can be sold to a gardening center just like the current drug dealer system does. Different types of flowers have different difficulties in growing, and harder/longer to grow flowers sell for more money.
- Vegetables can be used to cook meals which gives tiny, but worthwhile boosts when eaten (fresh is always better than processed food!). These boosts canbe things like slower hunger degredation, a tiny HP regen, slightly faster running speed, better stamina regeneration etc. They also sate your hunger far more than burgers do.

The positives of this would be:

- Another reason to own a house other than illegal activities. (Pssst, this also stops people assuming that owned properties can only contain drugs!)
- A way for citizens to work for money without being pushed into either a government job or growing illegal drugs.
- Another market for people to sell in: The food market. After growing a big batch of vegetables, why not sell them at the bazaar! This in turn promotes being out of houses and creates passive RP opportunities.
- Another function for the stove to be used other than cooking meth.

Reaction score
After reading this I agree with there only being illegal stuff to do or government jobs it is also a good idea because like you said it would stop people assuming that there must be drugs in that house, it would also add a lot more rp experiences.

If this could be added this would be good.

+Support this idea.

Reaction score
First off, I have nothing against more legal means of earning money, if anything I would like to have more ways. Here are some thoughts to consider, and if you would like to respond to them all, that would be appreciated.

• It needs to be created in such a fashion that is not a money farm in as of itself to maintain any sort of balance. Which often times people would feel this would earn too little then and not do them anyways.
  • People would then raid your house for your flowers/vegetables instead of your drugs taking them regardless.
  • What stops someone from doing all the legal means as well as the illegal means at the same time, effectively multiplying their gross income?
  • If people were to assume that houses are not full of drugs, would they then need to have sight of the plants or what in order to raid?
  • I would need new models and such to possibly make this viable as there are none that fit, and that is why I haven't included anything like this yet.
  • You can use the stove to cook fish (presently this is broken, but I fixed it for update)
  • The markets are plenty big right now, I have never once seen where even just Bazaar is full up, let alone all stores. I made sure @Xquality included a lot of shops because I view player to player trade as the best kind.
  • My personal view is that properties under the "Business" tab, should have absolutely zero illegal activity in them, that should only be for residential properties. Yes this creates some large vacancies as business buildings are the ones often purchased presently.
  • I have toyed around with the idea of possibly having NPC stores close during night hours (20:00 - 8:00 game time) as to encourage players trading with others, and goods that normally are "easy" to come by but then would be more in players hands and could sell to others if needed. Obviously this means the selling/buying ways would need to be changed as to easily do bulk.
  • It has been discussed as well to create potential "perks" for each of the business buildings and why you would buy them for your business. Such as slightly faster crafting speeds in Parker / J&M. Very rough idea at this point, but still an idea.
I have other thoughts on such a matter as well, but for now you can review those.

Garrett Woodfield

+Support I would love this, not having the police always raiding you because of drugs, you can finally do something legal without having a job would be nice.

Reaction score
In evocity there was a fex taxi orgs up and running including mine they had some big sucess because of what people would pay for a ride. While we did get mugged sometimes we got big payment at one point someone gave me a remmy for a ride.

There are many ways to make money legally you just need to discover them. I would ask Bolli but he would kill me if I revealed his trademark business.

Reaction score
growing and cooking system would be good, because i never seen that McUwes had an owner or the restaurant, that i can't recall it's name, near Roadcrew Station owned for managing as restaurant. So i think a new crafting system like the weapons would be good. For example Heat source + cabbage + meat + bread = hamburger (this combination can be made better by you).In that case a new skill (cooking) has to be added to game and make the server more realistic. I think that opinion has only 1 question to be answered. "How do you supposed to grow vegetable and own McUwes at same time?" I can answer that relocating the McUwes or building wall/fence around McUwes and that restaurant near Roadcrew Station would be helpful. I cannot say anything about those boosts.
At THE END i am Naturally Supporting that idea...

Reaction score
  • The markets are plenty big right now, I have never once seen where even just Bazaar is full up, let alone all stores. I made sure @@Xquality included a lot of shops because I view player to player trade as the best kind.
I meant as in an abstract food market (like the gun/ammo market), not a physical new place. People could sell their veggie boosts at the bazaar to fill up the lots a bit.

On to the rest of your points. I've had some time to think about it, and when looking at it from a different angle it hit me: Why not change the place where people may grow?

Since the original Pulsar Effect, people just grew in their own houses. Back then it wasn't a big problem. A different time with a different community. Now we have a chance to change and improve on that. I propose the following to address most of your points.

• You're unable to grow illegal plants in houses. Possibly only allow one pot for "personal use". Enforced by either script (if possible) or server rules (like no growing in businesses right now).
  • Certain (mostly) unused plots can be changed up from shop/house/whatever to "industrial" designation (like glassCo is right now). This is where illegal growing is allowed (see addendum A)
  • Houses allow people to grow the afformentioned flowers and vegetables.

This changes the purpose of suburb hosues from merely being a potentional growing empire, to something that can actually be lived in and sustained in a legal way.

These changes also make sense from an RP point of view. Quiet suburb houses being fortified and heavily defended strongholds of an expansive drug operation isn't realistic, nor what their purpose should be.

As for people raiding for vegetables, I think that with the right tweaks to the mechanic (growing time, income per plant etc), it would in most cases be not worth the rist, effort or expendature of coming in guns blazing for a few plants. In addition, home owners can call in the help of the police when a raid occurs without fear of being arrested themselves for illegal activity.

The natural change from this would be that legal growing is mostly for individuals and small groups, and the more profitable and risky illegal growing reserved for the bigger groups and orgs. A natural divide in my opinion and it bridges the silent issue of having no "middle" class on the server.
Government employees | Middle class doing legal activites | Orgs doing illegal activites.

Addendum A: If there are issues of hiding the operation: Right now, no one with some sense would assume that a boarded up house with shifty people patroling its perimiter is anything else but trouble. It's the server rules that prevent police from going in without reason. The same can be applied to the industrial plots.

Reaction score
I've been meaning to respond to this for awhile now, and I apologize for the delay.

I am left quite confused by your response if I'm honest. You don't think people should grow illegal drugs in their house, but you don't really say where this would then be acceptable. Plus if anything I would say people should grow in their houses more than anywhere else. Right now nowhere is really restricted, outside is more or less, but as for building locations we don't restrict any (which is why I said businesses should be). But yes obviously you would grow the extras either in your house, or possibly allowing a few businesses that deal specifically with food for the vegetables.

Yes, people making their house into a fortress isn't the best, but as police you can request they take down the barricades in the windows. By itself it is not a warrantable thing unless it is a repeated offense. As there is no "safety" reason as people often state unless there has been shootings/murder nearby RP wise because if there were, they should notify police.

However, you skipped my point, even if you only planted your flowers/vegetables, you would inevitably be raided by people. Which you may only have those, but they would still demand them regardless. I have seen a few people mugged for simply the food on them because they had nothing else. Which to me shows people are simply trying to take whatever they can from someone regardless of the value. So I see your "innocent" plants ending up exactly the same way.

I don't see how this really creates the "middle class" either, as police are already "middle class" as it were. As this idea would end up earning less than they do, I can assure you of that. So you wouldn't earn all that much but it would be enough to cover your basic expenses. Then again even unemployment offers probably more than enough as 3 minutes you can afford a meal easily, so there's no real struggle to survive if you ask me. You never need to get a job even starting out, so having more jobs / legal alternatives I can't say how beneficial they might really be.

Status
Not open for further replies.