Random crashes - whole gmod closes with no error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Error log:

Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\bin\win64\gmod.exe

-Lua Stack Traces-
==================
Client
*Not in Lua call OR Lua has panicked*

Server
Lua Interface = NULL

MenuSystem
*Not in Lua call OR Lua has panicked*

I've now allocated more RAM on launch, should this fix it or is it something else? Looked online for solutions & it says changing back to 32bit might fix it but that's not really an option for me.

This is the version of gmod I'm using:

7Q3iUIo.png

Any ideas?

Solution
If anything I’d strongly suggest you use a clean copy of gmod (there’s a bat file in the garrysmod directory to factory wipe it) with no additional content other than PERP’s installed, I’d also recommend setting all of your graphic settings to high. Source can be unstable when set to low especially in texture and model settings and can cause more performance issues, with your CPU, you shouldn’t have much of a problem with lower performance as the gamemode in itself as have optimisations to mitigate the lower FPS issues (this can still happen on a busy server due to limitations).

give me a DM if this continues
Reaction score
I've found this of someone having a similar problem, I suppose it's worth a try to see if it'll help. Can't confirm if it will, though.

Reaction score
I've found this of someone having a similar problem, I suppose it's worth a try to see if it'll help. Can't confirm if it will, though.
Tried most things in it except the opengl bit, worried about that causing issues though, will give it a try and get back to you

Reaction score
Usually what helps is reinstalling the game, reinstalling hl2 resources, or verifying game files on steam. I had this issue, and it helped, seems obvious, but helps.

I would do this in the following order:
1. Verify game files
Did not help?
2. Reinstall hl2 resources
Did not help?
3. reinstall GMOD, and install hl2 resources

Reaction score
Usually what helps is reinstalling the game, reinstalling hl2 resources, or verifying game files on steam. I had this issue, and it helped, seems obvious, but helps.

I would do this in the following order:
1. Verify game files
Did not help?
2. Reinstall hl2 resources
Did not help?
3. reinstall GMOD, and install hl2 resources
Tried all of these a long time ago and they've never helped

Reaction score
Chat GPT isn't mistaken, as the errors indicate some lua script errors. Did you edit, tried to write some lua scripts that might be running while the game is on? Try unsubscribing to suspicious/discontinued/poor quality addons in workshop, and delete all external lua files if they are existant.
1674412247953.png

Reaction score
Chat GPT isn't mistaken, as the errors indicate some lua script errors. Did you edit, tried to write some lua scripts that might be running while the game is on? Try unsubscribing to suspicious/discontinued/poor quality addons in workshop, and delete all external lua files if they are existant.
View attachment 16886
have no lua scripts or anything edited, i've entirely cleared out my addons and i will see if that works

Reaction score
What's your setup then? Are you using SSD? maybe some files corrupt, or don't load in time? Is your CPU recent, and high end? I guess gmod can run on anything, however it might be poorly optimised for more recent setups?

Reaction score
What's your setup then? Are you using SSD? maybe some files corrupt, or don't load in time? Is your CPU recent, and high end? I guess gmod can run on anything, however it might be poorly optimised for more recent setups?
using samsung 850 evo SSD

i5-8600k, not too recent but decent

Reaction score
Yeah the setup seems pretty normal, so unfortunately other than what I told before, I cant really help. LMK if any of this helped, maybe you'll just have to reinstall the game from time to time, in order to avoid those crashes for some time.

Reaction score
Have you googled your issue and used this thread?

Reaction score
Have you googled your issue and used this thread?
yeah, nothing in this fixed it sadly

Reaction score

Maybe they can help you? Someone else might have a solution here aswell but I think going to facepunch forums (if they're still up) will help you
ive checked a few threads on facepunch and theyve all had the same answers - according to a gmod dev it was supposed to be fixed in 2019 lmao

will try tho, tyvm

Status
Not open for further replies.