Remove the policy that allows LT+ to make charges higher than the law allows.

Do you want this to be added?

• Yes

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brief description of idea: Remove the policy that allows LT+ to make charges higher than the law allows.

What benefits would this idea have for the department: So basically the idea that people with a certain rank can ignore the law is in my opinion very strange. Everyone should be judged fairly and held accountable to the same standard. If we want to give people higher jail sentences we should change the law. Not matter how many stripes you have on your arm, I think you should follow the guidelines that are within the law.

Lady Justice is blind but the cops in our department not always. That's why we should have a clear line in what they can and can’t do.

What potential negatives could this have for the department: People getting lower punishment

Reaction score
LTs can combine 2 laws together for a higher sentence/ticket, sounds like an LT charged someone higher than the stated amount which should be dealt with via IA.
In that sense, Corp+ should be allowed to stack charges since people break more than 1 law in a situation. I got IA'ed for accidentally giving 1k over the amount set lmao.

Reaction score
As it stands it’s fair use is absolutely valid, like when dealing with suspects who assaulted cops with guns with intent to kill them, or got involved in multiple murders without being directly linked as a killer.

Reaction score
The problem I see with this is it is an extremely, extremely bad idea to treat everyone to the same standard.

I know this isn't exactly what you mean but the way this is worded, courts should treat a child stealing a chocolate bar to the same standard as a terrorist or mass murderer.

My point is, no situation is ever the same and these powers are rarely ever used, I've personally only used them a couple of times at most and only in extreme situations which these powers are designed for.

I don't really see any need for a change as the majority of the time it was probably deserved and/or justified, on the odd chance that someone has misused these powers, you should probably just make an Internal Affairs complaint.

Deleted member 5577

I've seen jimmy jackson use this power because someone called him a name

A1L

Reaction score
you filthy person, you called me a name, you hurt my feelings, i'm going to higher your ticket.

Reaction score
Seems more of an unncessary change to edit Law 3.10 to prevent LT+ from going over the maximum charge given the fact in the PD right now, there are only 3 Lieutenants, 4 Captains, 2 Majors and the DCoD/CoD which can utilise this power (11 people in total) and LT+ are trusted to use this power if they feel it is necessary, which is hardly ever from my long experience within the PD. But it can be useful in situations, for example, when you have someone deliberately breaking a bunch of minor laws to loophole the fact officers can't stack charges - which would make a justifiable reason for an LT+ to go above the maximum punishment.

However, if you feel an LT has unjustifable stacked charges then I would suggest just making an IA complaint and going from there.

Deleted member 5577

How would making an IA do anything when a LT has the right to make this charge?

A1L

Reaction score
In the handbook, under 6 - General Rules " Officers are to not add up laws under any circumstances. For minor breakage of laws (e.g. minor traffic offences) tickets and sentences should remain lower. Generally, the extent of cooperation offered by the detainee should be considered when setting a jail sentence or issuing a fine. Exceptions may be authorised where justifiable by an officer ranked Lt. or higher "

For the Compounding Punishments, so it must be justifiable, if they believe the Command Member is breaking policy, and or doesn't have a justifiable reason to do so, make an Internal Affairs Complaint.

Deleted member 5577

@A1L It's too vague and I'm not sure who sits on the complaint committee but....

Reaction score
remove this. ive had countless experiences with LT's getting their feelings hurt so give 10k 10y for something petty. why is this allowed? get rid of it

A1L

Reaction score
If it's something petty and you don't think it's justifiable make an Internal Affairs Complaint, there is literally 3 Lieutenant's

Reaction score
I have already suggested this a while back, it was denied.
This rarely gets used, and when it does, it is usually when someone is highly uncooperative or has broken lots of minor laws.

Reaction score
I think being able to punish someone who's clearly breaking 3.4 by constantly breaking the same 2 year max law in-game just to troll by giving them a 7 year sentence + fat ticket is a great measure to stop said behaviour without escelating to staff.

Reaction score
Denied
This should never be overly used and if someone is misusing it they will be dealt with appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.