Server Performance and playercount

Reaction score
The server feels like it's only smooth when it's at like 80 players or below (maybe even less). It would be a worthy test to see if it works smoothly at 100 but regardless YES we need lower slots until a upgrade happens.

Reaction score
We have lowered the overall tickrate of the server to 16 today, which seems to be what most popular gmod servers use these days.
This means that at high player counts, the server will not attempt to run 20 ticks that it will never be able to meet anyways thus increasing performance.

From what Bolli and I could tell, this already made the server a bit more stable today (except for the DDoS). We are now fairly confident we can run 115-120 players without players complaining about lag too much and I fully believe we can optimize it further to make it enjoyable even at 128 players.

Just for the record, before we started doing the updates, running the server with just 100 players was basically unplayable, while it is basically perfectly smooth now. In fact, most of my development time is currently spent trying to improve the server performance.

The two things that are left that we still want to fix are the following:
  • Big lag spikes that appear to happen randomly, we already fixed many causes for them but some really big ones seem to keep happening. They are often 1-2 seconds long and really annoying.
  • Continuous server lag caused by physics collisions. These can last for quite some time and are often caused by players who do not even intend to lag the server but make the game unplayable for everyone.

dog

Reaction score
We have lowered the overall tickrate of the server to 16 today, which seems to be what most popular gmod servers use these days.
This means that at high player counts, the server will not attempt to run 20 ticks that it will never be able to meet anyways thus increasing performance.

From what Bolli and I could tell, this already made the server a bit more stable today (except for the DDoS). We are now fairly confident we can run 115-120 players without players complaining about lag too much and I fully believe we can optimize it further to make it enjoyable even at 128 players.

Just for the record, before we started doing the updates, running the server with just 100 players was basically unplayable, while it is basically perfectly smooth now. In fact, most of my development time is currently spent trying to improve the server performance.

• Big lag spikes that appear to happen randomly, we already fixed many causes for them but some really big ones seem to keep happening. They are often 1-2 seconds long and really annoying.
  • Continuous server lag caused by physics collisions. These can last for quite some time and are often caused by players who do not even intend to lag the server but make the game unplayable for everyone.
ratio

Reaction score

Add a planter rack, that way people can use place in both planter boxes at once as a single entity rather than two. Assuming it doesn't help when both planter boxes are on top of each other with everything else going on, may be minor but it's something to contribute to improving performance at least.

Reaction score

Does the lower tickrate affect the RPM from firearms? Is the M4 usable again??

From Tiny's previous post https://perpheads.com/threads/impacts-of-the-new-tickrate-on-firerate.42118/

Reaction score
Add a planter rack, that way people can use place in both planter boxes at once as a single entity rather than two. Assuming it doesn't help when both planter boxes are on top of each other with everything else going on, may be minor but it's something to contribute to improving performance at least.
Our server is already heavily optimized for entity count. We already did the drug update where you have 1/2 planters rather than 5/10 plants.
The biggest issue with entities right now is bazaar, but it's also kind of the flair of the server having a fuckload of entities there, so I don't really want to touch it too much.

Reaction score
Our server is already heavily optimized for entity count. We already did the drug update where you have 1/2 planters rather than 5/10 plants.
The biggest issue with entities right now is bazaar, but it's also kind of the flair of the server having a fuckload of entities there, so I don't really want to touch it too much.
I probably said this in a previous post but implementing a shop UI would honestly be not just beneficial but also a very good QoL addition, I don't want to see it replace how it currently is so it doesn't kill off the whole principle of weapon display (as there are dedicated laws to this, also it makes a shop look much cooler) so maybe guns and some other types of items people could come up with shouldn't be in the UI.

Giving people the alternative option of putting a bunch of bandages and other smaller miscellaneous items to sell and buy as a stack. I can imagine it doesn't help when people stash them all in the basket props.

Reaction score
Why not add an anti-collision system with props like there is with cars? I've noticed many items clustered together cause really bad lag when they collide. Myabe have them auto-send to storage or have them no-collide?

Reaction score
have a meteor destroy bazaar like tilted towers

Reaction score
The performance is pretty ass in comparison to previous player counts, we know this, it doesn't need reiterating to echo chamber proportions.

An issue with playercount that has clearly arisen as an issue however is the map itself.

Finding a property is immensely difficult, this becomes even more of an issue when there's literally a new player mission to buy a property. Many properties lie dormant an empty and it takes time to discover if its worth selling someones property because it isn't in use.