Server Performance p2

Reaction score
Hello PerpHeaders,

I am sure a lot of you are familiar with the recent changes to the server since @2766 post HERE . I would love to know everyone's thoughts on the tickrate being halved (been told its only 4 ticks lower) of what it was originally, especially in shootouts and PVP situations.

and I haven't seen a tickrate that shit since old darkrp days on Z*RP

These last few days have I personally believe the server is unplayable, non stop constant sponging bullets n just total bullshit. I know @Fredy does not want to lower player count but I am sure if that is what it costs to sort the server out it needs to be done. Even if make it 80 and add queue server back OR make multiple servers to make server 2 open up once the server becomes full as I am sure in the current state perp can fill 2 servers of 80players each. You could even force redirect people (I believe) on gmod to join another server when they connect to one (yes i know server 2 would be aids and filled with power growers but there must be some way around it)

A few months ago perp had little to no new players and it was being worked on to make the server more "New player friendly" but right now all these new players are taking up 90% of the slots and over half of them are here to just minge and troll.
The amount of time recently I have been AFK and killed by some random punchwhoring sweater is crazy, got to the point where I wont even make a report for most situations now unless it proper pissed me off and rather just start killing the sweater. I personally feel that there is TOO MANY new players who are here to just fuck around and not stick with the server, possibly bring back more harsh punishments like how perp used to be?

I am not sure on the current system with staff but I generally feel like the staff are struggling with the new players influx and increased reports. Yes there is a few wonderful new players who are here to learn and play and hopefully stay but I am sure they also will agree with on the whole server performance situation. I have spoken to a few members of staff who have told me the amount of reports made today so far *writing this at 6:30pm uk time* and it is almost tripled since I was staff by this time (On a normal day) I am sure the STAFF MEMBERS are also struggling with this as recently I have seen my reports getting longer to be handled n dealt with even with the mini me @SamSN on to claim them as fast as possible - Pretty sure there is much less staff too

EDIT:
Also before people start bitching about "ITS A ROLEPLAY SERVER" There is a certain amount of roleplay you can do on PERP, I can assure none of you unless you are Tomo wanna sit fishing for hours on end to get a Bugatti or whatever you chose to spend your money on.

The only thing that used to keep me playing other than shootouts was being staff because as *REDACTED* as it sounds I enjoyed doing reports and it was something different. A huge percentage of the ACTIVE and RETURNING playerbase mainly play perp for the fun aspect of shootouts ect and once that new player gets the car he has been grinding for I am sure he will either leave or ATTEMPT to do the same

As much as you hate to say it, shootouts are the only thing that isn't repetitive for Perp. There is VERY little ONLY roleplayers on the server. Yes the PD is very good, but also that will end up getting repetitive once you get to a certain point
So what is everyone elses recent experience with the server? As this is a DISCUSSION after all @NEWPLAYERS @OLDPLAYERS

YES IM NOT FINISHED WITH THREAD BUT WAITING UNTIL I GET MORE STATISTICS

Last edited:
Reaction score
REAL shit, it's kinda turning into quantity over quality, the server is still high quality as fuck but the influx of huge new players who simply do not play the server as intended is cancerous and the hitreg genuinely fucking blows now that the tick has also been lowered yet it fixed almost nothing
Covering up by saying 'esporters' are complaining does not fix the problem, this is an actual server/community wide issue and I prefer to play the server very late at night because I have a much better and fun experience

Reaction score
Also before people start bitching about "ITS A ROLEPLAY SERVER" There is a certain amount of roleplay you can do on PERP, I can assure none of you unless you are Tomo wanna sit fishing for hours on end to get a Bugatti or whatever you chose to spend your money on.

The only thing that used to keep me playing other than shootouts was being staff because as *REDACTED* as it sounds I enjoyed doing reports and it was something different. A huge percentage of the ACTIVE and RETURNING playerbase mainly play perp for the fun aspect of shootouts ect and once that new player gets the car he has been grinding for I am sure he will either leave or ATTEMPT to do the same

Reaction score
unless you're a guncrafter or someone who plays courier (WTF?) you are gonna be involved in shootouts in some way pliz ficks server

Reaction score
REAL shit, it's kinda turning into quantity over quality, the server is still high quality as fuck but the influx of huge new players who simply do not play the server as intended is cancerous and the hitreg genuinely fucking blows now that the tick has also been lowered yet it fixed almost nothing
Covering up by saying 'esporters' are complaining does not fix the problem, this is an actual server/community wide issue and I prefer to play the server very late at night because I have a much better and fun experience
What is that screenshot supposed to show? It only shows that the server was running very stable (the obviously mostly flat green line). Your lerp is also not exceeded (it is white rather than yellow or red).

Reaction score
What is that screenshot supposed to show? It only shows that the server was running very stable (the obviously mostly flat green line).
The red text which tends to stick a little bit longer through the lag spikes that occur, of course the rest of it may look normal and stable but the experience in playing the server just does not match up to what we see here

Reaction score
I noticed the hitbox is weird: https://medal.tv/games/garrys-mod/clips/zLX1pGdj3Hl-V/35wQ35mNhnbM?invite=cr-MSx2T2EsMTAyNTk3MzAzLA

I don't even know how that shot killed him.
You got hit directly before you shot

The red text which tends to stick a little bit longer through the lag spikes that occur, of course the rest of it may look normal and stable but the experience in playing the server just does not match up to what we see here
The red is not an issue in this case, it is only an issue if the variance is way too high, but 15.1ms as shown in your picture is actually incredibly low.

Reaction score

The red is not an issue in this case, it is only an issue if the variance is way too high, but 15.1ms as shown in your picture is actually incredibly low.
Fair, so what about sv? Shouldn't this be consistently around 16 and nothing too lower? I'm intrigued to know since idk much about networking in Source

Reaction score
and I haven't seen a tickrate that shit since old darkrp days on Z*RP
You clearly hit and killed with the first shot.
The reason your bullets went past the TFU is more likely because he was crouched at an odd angle and his hitbox doesn't 100% align with the stuff that you can see. I don't see lag playing a role here at all tbh.
Also please include sound when posting these so we can hear exactly when you actually fire a bullet.
Fair, so what about sv? Shouldn't this be consistently around 16 and nothing too lower? I'm intrigued to know since idk much about networking in Source
Ideally yes, but this is actually not as much of an issue as long as the tickrate is lower than the target at a relatively stable rate (which you have variance to measure).
Other than that, a lower tickrate increases lag, which is not great but is compensated for by lag compensation (again, as long as it is relatively stable).

Reaction score
The reason your bullets went past the TFU is more likely because he was crouched at an odd angle and his hitbox doesn't 100% align with the stuff that you can see. I don't see lag playing a role here at all tbh.
Also please include sound when posting these so we can hear exactly when you actually fire a bullet.

Ideally yes, but this is actually not as much of an issue as long as the tickrate is lower than the target at a relatively stable rate (which you have variance to measure).
Other than that, a lower tickrate increases lag, which is not great but is compensated for by lag compensation (again, as long as it is relatively stable).
426.jpg

Reaction score

Shots 1-5: Clearly missed.
Shots 6-9: Missed due to recoil (bad spray control).
Shots 10-11: Very close, but recoil and inaccuracy make these reasonable misses.
Shot 12: Likely didn't actually fire because Earnest was already dead.

Reaction score

I wasn't aiming at his head and I still managed to kill him?

Also, the current player count is causing a lot of other issues:
  • No properties available;
  • Excessive amount of 911 reports;
  • Too many cars randomly parked (sometimes I can't find a parking spot);
  • Excessive amount of dead sweaters in the City Hall (due to fist fights obviously)
  • Too many officers talking at the same time in the government radio (sometimes I have to wait a minute or two for someone to finish talking!!!)

Reaction score
If you can't see that he very clearly shot above the TFU then I am not sure you should ever complain about the hitreg...
I think the point is that instead of actually adressing the issue and listening to the countless player statements about server performance being bad in shootouts and making the game feel not enjoyable you are arguing a specific situation on technicalities.

Reaction score

Reaction score
I wasn't aiming at his head and I still managed to kill him?

Also, the current player count is causing a lot of other issues:
  • No properties available;
  • Excessive amount of 911 reports;
  • Too many cars randomly parked (sometimes I can't find a parking spot); and
  • Excessive amount of dead sweaters in the City Hall (due to fist fights obviously)
  • Too many officers talking at the same time in the government radio (sometimes I have to wait a minute or two for someone to finish talking!!!)

This is nothing that cannot be fixed tho? I do not believe the problems you mention here are a result of the amount of players but rather the way rules are enforced or even the rules themselves. Its a completely different debate and I am sure that solutions can be found (or suggested)