Super's SFM Animation Development Thread

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

As you all probably know I'm fairly experienced with Source Filmmaker as demonstrated with the multiple SFM renders I've made for PERP (most of which can be seen on the loading screen) and after brainstorming some ideas, I've decided to challenge myself by creating a short animation based on PERP. Creating animation is significantly more difficult as there are a lot more factors to take into consideration and so I'd thought I would document my progress here to share it with you guys and update it as I go along.

So, basic premise of the animation (subject to change):
  • Takes place outside of bank during a bank robbery
  • Protagonist is a cop armed only with a Berreta M9 and has only one full mag left
  • Cop vaults over a LT+ cop car to duck behind from heavy incoming fire from bank robbers
  • Cop takes a second to catch his breath before realising the slide on his M9 is back (realising his mag is empty)
  • Cop reloads his pistol with his last full mag and takes a second to determine how he is going to proceed
  • Cop glances over his car to then see a bank robber at the doors get shot down by a cop off screen - prompting the last bank robber on the roof to aim towards Safety First and fire
  • Cop uses this opportunity to fire at the bank robber - missing a bunch of his shots to which the bank robber turns back towards the cop
  • Just as the robber is about to fire at the cop, the cop fires again and manages to land a headshot on the bank robber - causing the bank robber to fall off the bank roof onto the sidewalk
  • Cop sighs with relief - screen fades to black as animation ends
What I've done so far:

As the animation is in a very early phase, I'm currently in the process of blocking the primary poses of the animation. The thing I've mainly worked on is the cop vaulting over the car's bonnet as I get a good reference for how to further block and eventually spline that bit of complex animation so that it looks fairly realistic. I'll probably make a few adjustments to the final pose in that GIF before proceeding with the rest of blocking as there is more blocking poses I've done that I haven't showed off yet.

Ob9SPYM.gif

Feel free to post any feedback or ideas!

Reaction score
Here’s some ideas to make it more accurate to perp:

- Obligatory Officer falling off the monorail track and / or being hit by the monorail.
- Finlay screaming
- Officers must ask upon every kill if they’re clear to confiscate
- At least 2 squad cars are instantly killed because they drove right up to the bank.

The bank robbery crew must be composed of the following 8 crew members:
- The dude who rocks up with a pistol, sawed off shotgun, double barrel, or MP5K that he can’t use when the rest of his org bought rifles because there’s like 4+ TFU on.
- The dude who kills most the first wave of cops alone but gets kicked out the robbery for exiting the zone.
- The guy who there’s nothing really special about except he’s the only cunt who actually bought bandages
- The “Bro please I need rifle ammo bro” who bought a gun he has a total of 3 magazines for with no spare ammo, nor did he bring bandages.
- The “HURRY UP STARTING BANK IN 1 MIN” guy who rushes everyone to bank for no actual reason, like he picked up the drill 45 seconds ago and cops haven’t caught on, but nah this cunt wants to speed run bank or some shit.
- The dude who turns up last because his drugs were 98%.
- The engineer, who stays with the drill to reset it when it jams, who despite being incredibly useful, is only doing it because he doesn’t want to die. Often dies anyways.
- The “I’ll flank / snipe from city garage! What an excellent plan with no chance of going wrong” that cops instantly see and either counter flank them or push from an angle the shooter can’t get them at”

Hope this helps you!

Reaction score
  • Staff
Hey again everyone!

Been a little while since I've posted but I've decided to share some more progress that I've made with the animation. It is still in a very early blocking phase but you can see that the animation is very slowly starting to take shape. Also, we have some sound too for the second shot!
Obviously I could be further with this however this is again, just a mini side project solely for practice and sometimes it is difficult to find the motivation or set yourself clear ideas on how the scene is going to play out - especially if you struggle to picture what the character is doing looks realistic or not. But hopefully once I have finished the first blocking pass, I can go back over it with more detail so it really starts to take shape.

Again, any feedback is appreciated! Or if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Reaction score
  • Staff
For context in the animation as it's taking place near the very end of a bank robbery, the officer is fleeing for cover after running out of ammo in his magazine currently inside the M9 :p

Reaction score
if this is not your new assignment I will be very disappointed,The video is a master piece with somehow 32 million views