Police Suggestion Supervisor Support Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Brief description of idea:
As we all know, sections have been removed and they're never coming back, they were only useful for one thing (ORs) and even that failed to benefit the department due to activity levels. Recently a LOT of new officers and lower ranked officers have been complaining they're unable to progress throughout the PD due to the lack of ORs they are receiving either due to lack of supervisors (and cpls) on duty at the current time or supervisors (and cpls) not being interested in patrolling with the lower ranked officers to give an OR. I believe we should introduce a scheme in which supervisors can put their name forward to be a sort of 'point of contact' for a group of officers that want ORs and/or a mentor. Perhaps this could be done by respective command teams setting up a group PM on PLPD.online where a sergeant and a corporal will be put into a group with lower ranked officers (who also request it) to arrange times to go on supervised patrols as well as giving the lower ranking officers a direct point of contact for any queries and/or concerns they may have.

What benefits would this idea have for the department:
Allows lower ranked officers a chance at getting ORs
Gives lower ranked officers a direct point of contact before going to their command team
There shouldn't be a problem with lack of interest as supervisors put their name forward to join the 'scheme'
Less stress for command (in a way)

What potential negatives could this have for the department:
It may turn out the same way sections did idk
More work for supervisors (although they do have to put their name forward)
More help desk tickets (maybe)

Other additions:
Please provide any positive or negative feedback regarding this idea as I would love to hear different perspectives on this idea.

Reaction score
Brief description of idea:
As we all know, sections have been removed and they're never coming back, they were only useful for one thing (ORs) and even that failed to benefit the department due to activity levels. Recently a LOT of new officers and lower ranked officers have been complaining they're unable to progress throughout the PD due to the lack of ORs they are receiving either due to lack of supervisors (and cpls) on duty at the current time or supervisors (and cpls) not being interested in patrolling with the lower ranked officers to give an OR. I believe we should introduce a scheme in which supervisors can put their name forward to be a sort of 'point of contact' for a group of officers that want ORs and/or a mentor. Perhaps this could be done by respective command teams setting up a group PM on PLPD.online where a sergeant and a corporal will be put into a group with lower ranked officers (who also request it) to arrange times to go on supervised patrols as well as giving the lower ranking officers a direct point of contact for any queries and/or concerns they may have.

What benefits would this idea have for the department:
Allows lower ranked officers a chance at getting ORs
Gives lower ranked officers a direct point of contact before going to their command team
There shouldn't be a problem with lack of interest as supervisors put their name forward to join the 'scheme'
Less stress for command (in a way)
What potential negatives could this have for the department:
It may turn out the same way sections did idk
More work for supervisors (although they do have to put their name forward)
More help desk tickets (maybe)

Other additions:
Please provide any positive or negative feedback regarding this idea as I would love to hear different perspectives on this idea.​
Agree with this (except striked part, which seems a bit too complicated tbh and too much like sections).

Would be neat if there was another shoutbox on plpd.online for questions and queries from any officer, which supervisors can answer and discuss, instead of speaking in the general public one. This shoutbox could also possibly be used for asking if anyone's available for ORs, or vice versa.

Additionally, perhaps have a teamspeak channel for supervisors/normal officers that need support or are free to help out, in the form of an OR or questions answered, etc.

Reaction score
good idea, but I think its better to tackle the main issue. there not being enough people to give out ORs is when you reach corporal or sergeant the PLPD gets really bland, there isn't really much way to move up as most command positions are filled and its rare positions in command open up, even harder to get picked for that position. So corporals and sergeants lose interest in the PLPD, and don't do ORS because nothing really comes from them. If this issue isn't tackled then I don't think a Point of Contact will help as the POC will become inactive eventually.

Mim

Reaction score
Hi, I like the idea of putting something in place to encourage more OR's being handed out but like CaughtRed has said when you get to Sergeant you begin to lose motivation for the PD. However, throughout the past 2 months, Hayden and I have been collecting data from RTU Officers on how many OR's each rank hand out per month and how this increases depending on how we deal with the situation. Unfortunately, Hayden and I do end up having to give some Corporals and Sergeants a nudge in the right direction to let them know they are still responsible for handing out ORs.

If needed I can see about showing you the graph however I can't get it to work so the rundown of our data is that the amount of OR's handed out by officers in RTU ranked Corporal+ is improving after Hayden and I have started to take action. This is projected to improve over January too. This is good as it means Supervisors are also actively looking for people to patrol with. The bad thing about this is that they could only be doing this to meet their quota. In conclusion, we can all sit and say Supervisors and Corporals are unmotivated to hand out OR's but what can change to actually change this.

In terms of a point of contact, I believe the plan for plpd.online v2 is to make it easier for officers to see who to contact when they need help. The best thing to do for officers who have questions is to find someone on duty or make a helpdesk ticket to people services as that's what they are there for. They will redirect the ticket to a command team if necessary.

In RTU at least any RTO can request a voluntary training session to be hosted by command if they want to go over skills or ask for a supervised patrol. This is outlined in our Handbook under the training section and hasn't been used since I got command in November of 2019.

To finalise as a command team we don't get many question helpdesk tickets or OR helpdesk tickets, we get about 1 ticket a week about reinstatements or application issues. What I'm saying is that for RTU at least these support systems are in place they just aren't being used as much as they should. This is something me and Hayden can look into over the coming weeks however I don't think a massive new scheme is the way to go about this (as much as I agree with the general idea)

Reaction score
You can always suggest things like these to be added to blueduck,

If you think a system is needed in the new plpd.online please let us know and we can have a look into it.

Reaction score
This might be a stretch but a easy thing that could be done is to create a simple form that officers can fill out to show that they want to patrol for OR's and give SGT+ access to the answers so they can contact those people and organize a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.