What force should be used when? -Police officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So this is a problem that is really common with newer officers, sometimes even experienced ones.
How much force should you use on suspects when they have broken the law, depending on the settings and situation? This guide is here to help you, using the famous GTA star-system. Basically I will provide some example situations and add stars and tell how much force can be used.
Let's begin:

1 Star: You see someone breaking a minor law/Someone makes a call about a lawbreak.
Sit1: You just got an emergency call about a man punching people at the Bazaar, and you then find a man fitting the description.
Sit2: You see a man punching a car right in front of you.

How much force you can use: None. Of course, you can threat him with your night stick, so he cooperates, but that's as far it goes. Solid evidence is needed before you can use force.

2 Stars: Suspect is failing to cooperate/Suspect is trying to run away.
Sit1: You walk up to said man and ask if you can talk to him, but he runs over to his car, jumps in and starts the engine.
Sit2: You walk up to the man and tell him to stop, but he doesn't listen to you.

How much force you can use: Feel free to use your nightstick untill they are under control. Material damage can be used as well, to an extent, as puncturing the tires of the car by deploying roadspikes in front of it before it leaves.

3 Stars: Someone has killed a member of the public/Someone attacked or threatened someone with firearms.
Sit1: The man quickly avoids your nightstick and jumps into his car. He then drives away in a hurry, driving over an innocent pedestrian and crashing into walls.
Sit2: You are in pursuit of the car. Suddenly he stops, jumps out, and grabs a gun from his trunk.

How much force you can use: Here is the part where the situations need an answer each. In situation 1 you are allowed to do now allowed to open fire on the vehicle in order to stop it, or use your firearms to threaten the man, as the man is a threat to the public. You are not allowed to shoot the man when he exits his vehicle.
In situation 2 you are allowed to unholster your firearm, but here comes an important police rule: Always be the last one to shoot. Do not open fire untill the suspect has. Untill then only use the firearms to threat the man, and only shoot if he begins firing his gun.

4 Stars: Someone has killed multiple cops and does not surrender/Someone is robbing the bank.
Sit 2: The man has begun firing his gun at you, and killed the 2 people sitting in your vehicle.
Sit 3: A group of armed men have entered the bank, and are currently robbing it for all it's cash.

How much force you can use:
You are allowed to shoot the suspects if they are carrying guns in an attack stance, but remember that you can not kill them if they surrender. Only use the force that's necessary.

5 Stars: Someone kill this bastard allready!
Sit 2: The man does not give up. He has made no match of the SWAT and plenty of other officers.
Sit 3: The robbers do not give up. They have taken care of the units at the bank and are escaping in their cars, driving over everyone and everything in their way.

How much force you can use:
Use everything in your power to stop them. The suspects are not only a threat to the public, but to the city. Shoot them on sight, unless they are unarmed.

So here you go, guys. My first guide. Some parts might not be 100% correct, so be sure to correct me if you find something wrong, or tell me if you think I should edit anything.

Reaction score
but here comes an important police rule: Always be the last one to shoot. Do not open fire untill the suspect has. Untill then only use the firearms to threat the man, and only shoot if he begins firing his gun.
Of course it always important to show restraint as a police officer to minimize injuries and death to not only yourself, but also those around you
Sit2: You are in pursuit of the car. Suddenly he stops, jumps out, and grabs a gun from his trunk.
However looking at this, to avoid injury to yourself and those around you, under circumstances like this it's not a bad idea to be the first one to pull the trigger. It's highly doubtful that he pulled out the gun from his trunk after being chased just because he is transporting it. If a gun is in his hand after being chased by the police I would not frown upon someone pulling the trigger and ending it before an actual firefight could begin.
However if the gun is not visible in his hand(s), like Frozen said, use your gun to threaten the man into submission
11.11 Right to Use Firearms
LEOs may only use their firearms when a suspect(s) is posing a direct threat to any other member of the public and/or is believed to be intent on harming any other such person(s) (appropriate evidence, as defined under section 10.3, must have been obtained when acting on such a belief).

Otherwise very good guide!

Reaction score
As with today, not enough force was used...

An idiotic, disgrace to 'roleplay' decided he would try to single-handedly take on a car in which 1 occupant had been firing shots near the PD, he drove at 5 MPH towards him and didn't even bother to GUNPOINT them, he had so many opportunities to get them, yet he took none of them, it was just fucking embarrassing...

It lead to me, a medic, having to do a pursuit just to stop him from getting away, as the one who was supposed to do that job had too many chromosomes.

They need to enact a mandatory training program or a higher-standard test, because you simply can't have 8 year old darkrp minges run around with a gun and a superiority complex after completing a common-sense test that takes 2 minutes to complete.

Reaction score
but here comes an important police rule: Always be the last one to shoot. Do not open fire untill the suspect has.
What a load of shit.
This is how you get shot and killed. If you believe that they are pulling a gun out, shoot. If you see them pointing a gun, shoot. If they run at you with a knive, shoot. Regardless of if your belief turns out to be correct, as long as you can justify it IN CHARACTER then its cool.

Reaction score
but here comes an important police rule: Always be the last one to shoot. Do not open fire untill the suspect has. Untill then only use the firearms to threat the man, and only shoot if he begins firing his gun.

So this was added as I like to really take caution when it comes to firearms. I recently got a ban because I acted too quickly. I'll be sure to edit it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.