Client side modding

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I was just thinking about some of the cool things that some people are able to do with perps files, Some people are able to mod the files so that they look, sound different in-game to them and them only. This is called client-side modding and for those people who don't know what that is, it is basically modding a file so only you can see/hear the difference. This has been done many times before as @Creepis have changed skins and car/weapon sounds.

So the who point of this thread is to call out to anyone who knows how to client-side mod and if they are willing to mod files for people to change the way perp looks/sound. Now bare in mind this is only to be done to change how you see/hear perp. If you are caught modding the server or addons, in general, to give you an advantage over players or for just plain malicious use you risk being punished as it is theoretically classed as cheating.

If anyone knows how to modify client-side files to make perp look better or just different in general in a non-malicious way then please reply to the thread as I myself am looking to change the sound of the Ford Crown Victoria to a more realistic sound.

Reaction score
@ErmakDimon should be able to help you out. He has modded sirens but I don't think you'd want the sirens he has. Regardless he should be able to help you work whatever files you want?

Reaction score
This seems like it could fuck up your system with aidsy police lights. Is there any way I could decrease the police lights to get increased FPS?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The thing is we can't really enforce it, I managed to do some sketchy shit where I had my bobby pin changed to me saying "raid" I mean it's all good when it's not abused but you can change it to stuff such as my bobby pin was one night.

Reaction score
@DeltaForce made the sirens I use and also some gun sounds, hell help

After I found a way to get the sound pack(s) I started to change around alot of sounds mostly every weapon that dosen’t have files shown use insurgency files. I’m not sure if I want to share it but if people want I can put a guide up on how to add custom sounds

Again it would be a staff last words to verify if I’m alowed todo since it again as Daymon stated it’s gard to enforce

Reaction score
There seems like places for grey areas here. Imagine if a user changed the volumes of footsteps and gun clicking so that they have a massive advantage over other players: is this cheating? If I changed the textures of concrete barricades (which I've accidentally done before) they looked shorter to me, meaning I could have "wall bang" someone, in the head, through the barricade. Now those are two very different modifications that would give me a massive advantage over other players. I'd suggest being careful with client side mods, proving it offers no advantage must be a necessity

Reaction score
Its almost impossible to enforce this.

// mobile device

Here is my proposition:

Make two categories of modifications and label them as such:

Permitted modifications;
Non tactical sounds
Physgun
Vehicle texturing
Building texturing

Prohibited:
Tactical Prop texturing
Entity Texturing
Tactical sounds

If anyone is caught breaking these rules it is considered cheating. Cheating is hard to spot and so is this, the huge punishment is deterrent.

rat

Reaction score
Disallow everything because it's a hassle to enforce with very little benefit except "look at my autistic siren sound"

Reaction score
The thing is we can't really enforce it, I managed to do some sketchy shit where I had my bobby pin changed to me saying "raid" I mean it's all good when it's not abused but you can change it to stuff such as my bobby pin was one night.
Disallow everything because it's a hassle to enforce with very little benefit except "look at my autistic siren sound"
Here is my proposition:

Make two categories of modifications and label them as such:

Permitted modifications;
Non tactical sounds
Physgun
Vehicle texturing
Building texturing

Prohibited:
Tactical Prop texturing
Entity Texturing
Tactical sounds

If anyone is caught breaking these rules it is considered cheating. Cheating is hard to spot and so is this, the huge punishment is deterrent.

There's a way in lua to check if files are altered if im correct, it would just verify if the the files that can be altered and abused are the same on client and server, and if not it could automatically kick/ban you or whatever.

https://github.com/kikito/md5.lua
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1081654
Not sure if these could be used, and if so it probably would take some effort but then again abuse like this happends rarely and just doing this with a bobby pin sound could be a great start. Besides, if you bobby parker and someone at glassco starts shooting you probably know there's something fishy going on anyways.