Is this a Data breach?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1235
  • Start date

Deleted member 1235

Do I have a case if my University disclosed private information about myself to the authorities without my permission, and that the information given was incorrect?

As some of you know the police visited my parents house the other week looking for me, despite the fact I have my own private residence in London (about 30 miles from my parents, even a different police force). My mother was told by the detective who visited that they were given the address by my University.

As I've not been arrested or cautioned etc or charged for a crime, was my University lawful in giving my personal information out?
Also the information they gave the police was wrong, giving my parents address instead of mine caused me a lot of embarrassment and explaining to do as you'd imagine. Could this be a somewhat breach of Data Protection or GDPR? I'm really not happy with the university lmao.

Reaction score
honestly, best advice i can give you is to go to r/legaladviceuk, there's real lawyers over there.

im guessing it depends on the reason they gave it. They may not just give it away to anyone who asks; that could be a GDPR violation.
the school for whatever reason made a police report; they need to give away information otherwise there would be no point in such a report. if thats legal i honestly have no clue; not a lawyer and not familiar with UK law.

What i definitely can tell you is that this is not related to the GDPR; as information was disclosed for legal matters.
UK has some laws that counter the GDPR
https://www.jisc.ac.uk/guides/netwo.../disclosure-of-information-to-law-enforcement

Schedule 2 Part 1 Section 2(1) allows an organisation that holds personal data (including the content of e-mails and files) to choose to disclose data if it is persuaded that the disclosure is both necessary and proportionate for the purpose of detecting, investigating or preventing of crime. It is the responsibility of the organisation that has the data to ensure that the risk of harm if the information is not disclosed justifies the breach of privacy that will be caused by disclosing it.

the uni probably acted in good faith too, so a case for making a bogus police report probably wont stand either. if you put it in a different context; someone who's been robbed doesn't have to ask the robber first if he may disclose where he lives.

Deleted member 1235

It's more of the fact that they gave the wrong address to the police, causing me a lot of embarssment. I understand they got legal obligations of course but if they're gonna give out this type of information surely it has to be accurate? They have my current address. It's like also giving the police my bank details etc

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about the law where you're from, but I would assume unless it's something illegal you've done, like severely illegal, then I would assume it's not allowed to give disclosed informations.

Reaction score
I would suggest talking to a lawyer rather than asking the knuckle heads of perpheads forums about legal advice.
My opinion for your post tho is, yes it would be a breach of privacy.

Reaction score
I doubt it was a breach of privacy if the police requested the info, plus your uni probably did it in good faith. Best just to keep it as a simple misunderstanding rather than sue the fuck out of everyone and everything

Reaction score
No, because the cops can lie about Information etc, so no they can't just go around doing everything they want mate, theres literally policy's irl for stuff like this. Maybe they can in russia(Idk), but they can't in most other countries.

Deleted member 5577

Nah sorry this kind of data sharing between establishments is perfectly legal unfortunately

Deleted member 5577

I can’t find the section of legislation that applies to this but under Chapter 4 section 46 of the Data Protection Act 2018 you have the right to rectification if you feel this data is wrong this is something you’d have to contact the university about and have changed.

Reaction score
better to speak to lawyers than mentally insane buckteeth shit-eating wankers like us

Reaction score
what the hell are you on about; if police aren't allowed to act upon information by any company; or are not allowed to request information when theres a reasonable suspicion a crime may be commited; we might aswell get rid of the police no?

Reaction score
Are you sure they have your adress? Generally it would be your responsibility to ensure information is up to date; if you've send them the request to change the information then it becomes their responsibility to change it.

Deleted member 1235

I've let them know of my address over two years ago it's in my records.

Deleted member 1235

Im not suing them I'm not American. I just dislike the fact they gave the wrong information which isn't relevant. They gave my parents names too, yet I'm a adult in my own property

Deleted member 1235

Apparently plotting to restore the empire is illegal :booty: