New Job: Detective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Topic: Detective Job

Hey, this idea is originally Murtsley's but since he is too lazy to make a topic, I guess I'll make one for him.

Short explanation:
- New job: Crime scene detective, they would be station at the PD and wouldn't be allowed to patrol.
- They would drive an unmarked - black car (I suggest a Dodge Charger).
- The job would be limited to 2 slots and 1 car.
- The job would be a premium job as it would require a reasonable amount of RP experience to utilize the job's abilities.
- The job would have an advanced DNA scanner that could track drug plant owners and time of planting.
- Access to government radio and the PD doors
- Would be unarmed and would rely solely on other officers for protection (this stops patrolling and enforcing the law)
- Detective would only respond to a scene if authorized / called to by another officer.
- You're not allowed to go undercover, you're there to solve crime, not to be James Bond.
- You can't interfere with everything in the Police Department, you're just meant to handle murder and vehicular murder related crimes.
- You have to take into consideration that you're not super cop, and that you can't just do things like this; "(/me attempts to find a gun in a trashcan) |ROLL| 100" and things like that.
- You must also ONLY USE THE DNA SCANNER AS HELP, it's not valid just to run up to someone and scream IT'S HIM, but you can use the model shown, then get finger prints, but you have.
- You're not higher, you're not lower than the other police officers, you're also meant to follow what the chief/lieutenant says.

Detailed description:

Personally I feel a lot of RP potential is wasted in crime scenes, for instance if a raid is initiated and drugs are found inside, the usual thing to do at the moment is just grab the drugs and claim the payment and nothing more is said on the matter, or the homeowner is arrested and charged. I feel if the detective job was added a feature could be implemented to trace the drug plant's owner, but of course it wouldn't be put there bluntly (what fun is there in that), the answers would come in unfinished names and descriptions of the suspect and the detective's job would be to use intuition and other clues to solve the crime. This could be applied to a variety of scenarios e.g. Murder, robberies, mayor assassinations etc. However a disadvantage to this job is for it to be utilized to it's full potential all people involved would need to RP it correctly, and the job relies on police officers being aware of when the detective is needed.

The detective would also be an useful resource for the police team during interrogation to gather evidence and settle a sentence. If you think this feature would make the criminal's life impossible as they won't get away with anything, you're wrong because this opens the possibility of alibis or other arguments that the detective would use intuition to suss out, that of course would be decided by a roll.

Thank you for reading and if you feel I have missed anything or have any observations feel free to let me know in the comments.

- MoronPipllyd / RE9741 / Hugh Jones

Reaction score
One problem I have with this suggestion is that they would be unarmed. Detectives have service weapons to protect themselves. It is the job of the detective to investigate the crime and follow up on leads and tips and as such get put in to danger. I also think your "Advanced DNA Scanner" idea would be better served by a Fingerprint Gathering Kit. An interesting mechanic that could be added onto this kit would be that the prints deteriorate based on how long ago the drug plant/meth bottle/whatever else was placed, this deterioration could be shown in the form of giving only partial results and the longer it has been since the prop was placed the more players it would show as potential matches, obviously it would always have the correct person as one of the suspects. Other than those complaints and suggestions this is a great idea.

Reaction score
Yeah, its a good idea, but i think that he needs a gun, and his car can have some hidden sirens ( maybe in the front windowns, in the mirrors, in the headlights and in the back windows OR that sirens that you can put, like this:
2--1224575-warning%20light%20and%20siren%20of%20%20police%20car.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, I agree that the car should have some subtle differences to the default Dodge Charger in order to enforce the detective not to patrol.

Reaction score
I would say this job should be unarmed, and would simply be a PI rather than a police detective really, while police can call them in specifically for a case, they would be allowed to roam around trying to find cases themself, which if foul play is discovered they would report to police all the information they have uncovered. Obviously not allowed to raid or anything themself, but just an unarmed person who tries to catch the underworld of Paralake City. Because I feel if the person is armed with some gun, they would take it as a sign they are allowed to go after criminals single handedly which would defeat the purpose of this job. But I don't see there being much need for 2 of these really, unless set by the mayor or something to 2. As they would be on the government payroll, just not solely working for them. Also they would never respond to active police scenes, only after the scene is secured.

@Carrot Having finger prints deteriorate would probably lead to false identifications and loads of reports, so I don't see this as being necessary. Also the likelihood of the PI ever finding drugs before they've started to deteriorate is unlikely so I would rather just have it always identify the proper person, but they would need to take the "prints" back to the "lab" in PD to get a positive identification. Such as giving them a unique number which they would jot down in their phone to store the info then talk to lab assistant to find out who it belongs to.

This would also involve police calling in PIs to scenes with illegal drugs before gathering them up, to positively identify the plant as well as who it belongs to, so instead of sending each person in a residence for the same time due to drug possession they would be able to specifically send some people in for longer.

Anyways, my point is, this could be a really neat job if RPed properly. But relies heavily on people understanding what their role is exactly, which is why I maintain no firearms given to this job. But I do not believe they should sit around waiting to be called out either, as this will lead to AFK and/or no one joining or people wanting to money farm.

P.S. The lights/sirens idea is unneeded, they are not emergency services and don't need a reason to speed to scenes, they arrive to simply investigate not be sure no one flees.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:
I would say this job should be unarmed, and would simply be a PI rather than a police detective really, while police can call them in specifically for a case, they would be allowed to roam around trying to find cases themself, which if foul play is discovered they would report to police all the information they have uncovered. Obviously not allowed to raid or anything themself, but just an unarmed person who tries to catch the underworld of Paralake City. Because I feel if the person is armed with some gun, they would take it as a sign they are allowed to go after criminals single handedly which would defeat the purpose of this job. But I don't see there being much need for 2 of these really, unless set by the mayor or something to 2. As they would be on the government payroll, just not solely working for them. Also they would never respond to active police scenes, only after the scene is secured.

@Carrot Having finger prints deteriorate would probably lead to false identifications and loads of reports, so I don't see this as being necessary. Also the likelihood of the PI ever finding drugs before they've started to deteriorate is unlikely so I would rather just have it always identify the proper person, but they would need to take the "prints" back to the "lab" in PD to get a positive identification. Such as giving them a unique number which they would jot down in their phone to store the info then talk to lab assistant to find out who it belongs to.

This would also involve police calling in PIs to scenes with illegal drugs before gathering them up, to positively identify the plant as well as who it belongs to, so instead of sending each person in a residence for the same time due to drug possession they would be able to specifically send some people in for longer.

Anyways, my point is, this could be a really neat job if RPed properly. But relies heavily on people understanding what their role is exactly, which is why I maintain no firearms given to this job. But I do not believe they should sit around waiting to be called out either, as this will lead to AFK and/or no one joining or people wanting to money farm.

P.S. The lights/sirens idea is unneeded, they are not emergency services and don't need a reason to speed to scenes, they arrive to simply investigate not be sure no one flees.
not bad, but i like guns :.(

Reaction score
Waaauw you sure spent a lot of time in this idea!

+Support And indeed a lot of RP is wasted in crime scenes and a nobody will mind a new job i suppose =)!

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:

i dont think they should patrol and they should have guns so they can go NCIS style

Reaction score
Why hasn't this been accepted yes. Perfect idea +1

It brings the hole roleplay into the game.

Reaction score
+SUPPORT I was actually thinking how cool it would be to have a job like this not to long ago.

Reaction score
StephenPuffs said:

Obviously it's not the responsibility of a detective on an active police crime scene to shoot at any potential hostiles, which is what would happen, the idea behind being unarmed is to keep those individuals out of harm's way and protected. People have a tendency to run out into where bullets are being shot if they have a gun which is A) unrealistic B) how people seem to think it makes them invulnerable. So it's better off having them be unarmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.