New Players

Sam

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday after the badmin we spoke about ways to improve game play for newer players. A few good suggestions were brought up, even @Bolli contributed!

My plan is after this org update... to focus on the experience of new players.

If you have any ideas how to improve gameplay of new players, reply! It would also be good if a few new community members relied with their input and told us what they are missing ingame.

As always, shit posts will be removed...

Topics that are out of scope,
- PD Whitelist remove (unless a new player got something to say)
- Reverting drug system
- Giving everyone physguns

Reaction score
Maybe a sort of popup that appears on the side of the screen that outlines controls/features/functions/howto, and would easily be dismissable via a function key?

Maybe place it in the same place the Mayoral Ballot appears, have it slide into frame, and have the box of info explain the purpose, feature, or controls (for example: driving) in that box. Then once they are done reading it, they just press like F9 to get rid of it.

Reaction score
I like the idea of a tutorial.
Have an NPC outside of the city hall new players can talk to to get a mission (or several) which would be aimed to teach the player a few basic things like how to use the map or phone in general, how to grow drugs, how to get a job etc. The missions shouldn't be very plain and objective like to make them boring. Instead of just that npc, there could be more around depending on the mission. I'll uh, extend more in the idea later.

Reaction score
I do like this. I do remember on the latest update log that Samuel mentioned something about missions, so if we are lucky, they will involve NPCs. The thing is, I think that some things may have to be kept to the popup (for example, controls, in a list of movements, inventory, using the phone, etcetera) and some others (like the ones you mentioned) be kept to NPCs.

Reaction score
People don't play this game because of the features, they play it because of the community (regardless of how toxic it is). Integration is how you get people into the game, try to make it so that bringing new players into your organisation is worth something (XP). I played PERP because I liked playing with certain people, I didn't really care for half of the community, only the ones that I knew.

You manage to get people playing together then they'll stay because PERPHeads will be the game that they play together.

It's not about getting people to login for the first hour, it's about retaining them after the first session. Once a player logs in a second time they become somewhat invested.

Reaction score
Ok, when I first joined the server I was initially brought in by the swat system, it even single-handedly got me to purchase VIP. The PD roll back is necessary but if not I'd be happy to have the old vip for swat system.

I proposed reverting the drug update pretty soon after it was released and was labelled as "selfish" and that I "didn't respect the work". The writing was on the wall, making a drug system like the one we have only encourages you sitting in your apartment and powergrowing else you risk drowning your plants or letting them overgrow (the later may have been addressed already).

Physgun is probably the only reason I currently buy VIP (used to anyway lmao) so I think giving it away will limit the servers income and that will lead to development, once again being halted.

tl;dr
>revert drug update
>bring back swat for new players
>do not give out physgun as damaging to servers income

Reaction score
> I think an advanced drug system for CriminalRP is important. Some criminal's style of being a criminal is only carjacking, some is in only dealing with drugs, others are just mugging/robbing people. I think there are now plenty of different and interesting ways to be a criminal that has not yet been explored.
>The PLPD is arguably one of the most in-depth, and advanced policing systems in any GMod server. While I do not think the entire PLPD needs to be reverted, I do think it needs to be downsized, and TFU comes back to being an easier aspect to get involved in.
>Dear god do not remove the Physgun from VIP. It will allow for abuse and is a massive necessity for criminal/cop mains.

Reaction score
If they havent touched the drug system again the basic planters should no longer need water. Make them like the old big drug pots where you can place down 4 of the basic ones max, 5 plants (10 weed 10 coke) max per basic planter which count for 1 big pot that gives 38-46 product and seeds just like the old system. Advanced planters should remain as they are.

Reaction score
What brought me into the game was how advanced it is making me grind for stuff as a sweater I loved that growing defending my base getting raided. When I first joined it took me 7 days gametime to get a Audi R8 and then I was looking for my next achievement, but I was lucky that I made @Stevo-A like me for when I shot a cop for him with my m9 and he let me grow with him until I met @glacial and them I hanged around with him..... he bought me vip and I loved him<3. I feel like the pd being as in depth as it is today is great being able to work your way up The ranks just helps people not get bored especially new players who may not have friends

Reaction score
When I first played seriously, is when I had people to play with. Like when I started off, a range of different people helped me as I knew them from other communities. These peoples offered me protection until I had the hang of it and to be fair, without people like them I probably wouldn't play today. I still remember to this day my first time seriously playing, hiding in a bazaar shop with like 4 people growing in the back of bazzar

Recently I have seen @Jamal @ICEKILLER_99 inviting sweaters into their org and giving them weapons ect to help them start off which makes newer players stay on the server, so good work guys :)