Remove Helper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Description of the idea: Remove the helper rank

Why should this be added? (pros): There's a reason it was initially removed. The rank is extremely redundant, it's over-saturated with people - even inactive ones - and it serves little to no purpose apart from people getting an ego and backseat moderating things because they have a yellow glowing name. You can do the exact things a helper does as a normal user, it literally offers nothing special minus the ability to blacklist people for some reason. It makes no difference when applying for enforcer, since if you want to get enforcer, you would conduct yourself the same way you would as helper.

Roll back enforcer changes too to accommodate.

What negatives could this have? (cons): People might think it's harder to get enforcer, but I don't think so.

Deleted member 1235

3 years? Some of us have been here for 7 :(

I think it's supposed to be anyone who has the experience though

Reaction score
I liked the general concept of helpers but I feel like they've given it out to so many people that it's drained the value of it. You have helpers who don't even have any active presence in the community and people asking "Who tf is *insert helper who passively roleplayed for 2 days here*????"

Reaction score
I voted yes since there were no other options for my opinion, but Aquaa worded it pretty well.

Reaction score
Please keep Helper as the role is valuable. Just get some honest guys who will know what they're doing to rework it. On top of that, demote all inactive Helpers, and stop accepting so many!

Reaction score
Helper was made with good intentions and I can see how it can have a positive impact, however it just seems like a vanity rank and the permissions it carries are not utilised for anything positive (not that they can be). I see users who have the Helper rank as experienced members wanting to make their intentions more known (hence the yellow name), I think its good for identifying approachable members, providing extra moderation on forums and giving users more of a taste for what staff is like. However I agree that applications should have closed a while ago as there is now a large influx of Helpers, though that isn't a bad thing I do agree there are too many.

I also believe people see Helper as a way of proving their worth for Enforcer. I personally applied for Helper to pave the path to Enforcer having applied previously. I tried to help users the best I could but having a yellow name didn't change much, besides the fact that there are infinite help chat messages. Helper is good for proving yourself to the admins your ability to benefit the community as you will be much more known to them as a Helper, so people who want to rejoin the staff team are applying for Helper beforehand to show their intentions and reinstate themselves into the community, which I feel is a good thing.

However, most/all of the above could be done without a yellow name, therefore I'm staying neutral.

Reaction score
I THINK that helper should not be a way to "prove yourself" for enforcer, that kills the purpose of the rank, many applied to get to enforcer but their main intention isn't to help people it's to get to enforcer... I think as a rank the helper rank was a good idea, the people who got it, no offense to anyone who got it/has it, I don't think EVERYONE deserved it. Some helpers are friendly and kind but it's not their intention... As @Blackdown said, it needs rebuilding... Get the people who actually ENJOY helping new players, not for benefits of a rank or because they were ex-staff or because they want to prove themself... That is the reason shits south, many people apply while in reality, their true intention isn't to help new people

that's just my opinion tho

Ophelia

Banned
Reaction score
I do agree, I think it is a pointless rank, Basically a shiny name but I don't agree with applying for Helper and then going for Enforcer I think you should just go for Enforcer and that's it.

Reaction score
To be honest, helper is a bit useless some might say but I do think it's a good thing. It shows people who would just disagree with a enforcer app straight away because they don't know if they'd be good. Helper is a position where people can prove that they could be higher staff.

Reaction score
As much as I see your point the role of helpers is quite good because it highlights people who are willing to legitimately offer help. Recently, all helpers I've seen have been quite good at their jobs and highlighting isn't much of a problem really.

-support

Reaction score
I just want to say that I have respect for many helpers for the work they’ve done.

With this current update allowing helpers to directly answer reports under the “support” section, my opinion on removing helpers has changed. Unfortunately I a, unable to change my answer on the poll.

Deleted member 7804

from what ive heard about the previous helper role is that it was genuinely people who wanted to help the community, now the role feels like its just something to help you get enforcer faster

Status
Not open for further replies.