Joining army, thoughts?

Reaction score
No fun? Who says i have no fun? but when it comes to work im serious person. Thats how you get far in life you put your head into it. but some people would prefer to slander the people who work hard and would prefer to get further in life than just having "fun".

Piz

Reaction score
Personally I'd never join the army because if we were at actual threat the army wouldn't be used (guessing!) - our arsenal of missiles and what not would. Which then only really points to the fact that you're fighting for what the politicians decide, what's best for the countries economy ultimately. However, I respect that a lot of what the army does these days is humanitarian aid & such but you can do that without being in the army.
Additionally, you're fighting an enemy you've never met and that would most likely be very alike to you - fighting for the belief of protecting their country / home.
If you want to help your country I'd say go into your local community and volunteer because that's actually helping people. Or even travel abroad and help others lesser off than you - whatever floats your boat.

Reaction score
It really depends on you, are you willing to leave your family while you are on tour, do you accept the risks of getting wounded or even die. Things like that you really need to take into consideration.
You'll most likely see horrible things on tour that you will never forget.
But you have the chance to defend the innocent and save lives.
Is all this worth it for you?

For me it was, and I would still love to join the army but due to my knee injury I can't anymore.
If this is your dream, go for it.

You will still have time for other things. Don't worry about that.
You can also decide to work as IT for the military, theres more to military than only field troops etc.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your input and i have though about all of that over and over and ive even said to myself im not gonna do it but after months and months of thought i really think its the best thing for me, and there are so many people risking their lives for me and my family i should do the same.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry for this long as reply but I feel like it's needed.

Ever since I started my Public Services course back in late 2017 we have had several visits/trips with different services but the more common one is the Army. I spent a week with the Army at Catterick. During my time there I got to do a range of fitness activities such as the obstacle course, 3 mile run with kit and weapon, team tasks in which you need to move equipment ranging from little ammo crates to big ass tires and logs to another place. We also went into somewhat a shooting range but since we did it after a load of fitness my arms were fucked and could barely keep the gun up and was burning my elbows on the carpet too lol. It was fun af but still quite hard. I also spent a day with the Royal Marines but that's much harder than the Army and much different lol.

But anyways after that full week I got a lot of insight in the Army and they answered a lot of questions and truth is they enjoyed it, we had people from tanks, infantry, helicopters etc. One of them said if you want to join the Army you don't need to be doing these public services courses which is true if you just want to go into the front lines. Now I don't know that much about what happens when you get out of the Army but I feel like it's less honorable to be a vet in the UK than in the U.S.

I have two teachers who used to be in the Army but only difference is he did not complete all of his training and left but it went because he made a bad decision or that it was for somethin else. But told us that the training is hard if you are not already quite fit when going into it so if you do intend on joining make sure you go to the gym and keep fit. You also need to be good at working with others in high stress.

Now for the most important part, you must make sure that if you want to go in that it's for the right reason. Going in to get respect or because you feel like it ain't good enough. You are gonna feel like shit through the training if you are not committed and if you regret joining through the training you sure are gonna regret it when bullets are flying over your head. My other teacher did serve full-time in the Army and she told us how hard it is and she wasn't very fit when going in but it took a lot of effort to get through the training but she managed because she was committed. But she told us other things such as how hard it is to walk through the desert in Afghanistan wearing full kit for hours while your drinking your own sweat is horrible but she still did it because she was committed but even then she did have her moments where she questioned what she was doing and thought about leaving. She has lost friends in combat but she still came out relatively unharmed both mentally and physically. But I can't say that for all who have came out of the Army as PTSD is no joke and can legit fuck you up.

My opinion is just stay in education for as long as you can and try to get in as an Officer if you meet the requirements. I am looking to join the Royal Airforce Police eventually (Once I sort my fuckin math's out) as that is both something I want to do and have read about.

I have went away with the Army for 1 week back in my early days of my Public Services course and did bits of training such as the obstacle course and 3 mile runs in kit and it wasn't easy but it was fun.

I have 2 teachers who used to be in the Army, 1 who left early for other reasons that you may think and one who did 1-2 tours of Afghanistan and told us how hard it is such as walking through the desert in full kit for hours.

It feels less honorable to be a vet in the UK than it is in the U.S but it's still honorable.

You must make sure you are going in the for the right reasons, going in because you feel like it or to get respect ain't it. You need to be committed otherwise you will regret it and will probs not even make it through training.

You gotta make sure you know what to do when you finish the Army as you gotta come out at some point either willingly or by injury and you gotta take into account PTSD and other missed benefits.

Make sure you read up about the position you want go join.

Reaction score
Btw it was meant metaphorically as you mentioned above hard work over fun, i am pretty sure u are hard working, I would never slander hardworking people. But working hard your whole life is a choice, if you want to be 60 fully broken but with a ton of money go for it if you want to have fun while you can you should do so.

Reaction score
The 4 months I was conscripted were some of the best times of my life.
The military is fun and I thought about applying to go on in the army but I decided I would rather get a university degree before coming to that decision.
That's also the reason why I joined Hjemmeværnet (Danish Home Guard) as they are able to replicate a lot of what I did back then with weapons training, field exercises and more which I am all able to do on the side while I am getting my degree.
Some of the people who I served my conscription with and applied to go further were there for a couple of years, took a deployment and then quit as well.
Don't know about the UK, but here joining the army can, for some, just be considered going on hiatus from other stuff like other jobs not in the military or getting a degree. All the while getting valuable experiences that last you for life.

Deleted member 6228

Join the raf or navy, do not join the army.
Grandparents in it for many years as well as some teachers I know and they all regret it, you're not treated like a person and your not given any life skills to use when you're out, but the RAF and Navy will give you life skills you can use